Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
One1

Should i go on Accutane?

Im a 19 year old male my acne is just getting worse and worse. I have tried everything including Differin and minocycline right now. The minocycline hasent done a thing after being on for 4 months now. I see a new dermatologist in 2 weeks and i was wondering if i should demand accutane? It seems to work for everyone.

I say go for it. My acne wasn't that bad (was mild-moderate) but it was VERY persistent, I tried everything, 2 types of antibiotics (tetracycline and the stronger bactrim, both didn't cure me), tried differin, BP(5%), Retin-A, Zinc, they all didn't work.

I seriously suggest you go on Accutane, I'm 3 weeks from finishing my full dose (80mg (I'm 80kg)) course, my skin is 100% clear (2 very very very small whiteheads in the past month, both of which fade after 2 days). All I had to pay was dry lips that I treated with a skin repair crime twice a day for, that is it!

Taking this drug is really nothing to worry about, its highly effective and you might be lucky like me and have minimal side effects. I feel exactly as I did before treatment, I got none of the mood swings, psychic changes, sore joints, depression or any of the rubbish people complain and are petrified of.

Go for it, don't leave it late like I did and try 100 products.

I say go for it. My acne wasn't that bad (was mild-moderate) but it was VERY persistent, I tried everything, 2 types of antibiotics (tetracycline and the stronger bactrim, both didn't cure me), tried differin, BP(5%), Retin-A, Zinc, they all didn't work.

I seriously suggest you go on Accutane, I'm 3 weeks from finishing my full dose (80mg (I'm 80kg)) course, my skin is 100% clear (2 very very very small whiteheads in the past month, both of which fade after 2 days). All I had to pay was dry lips that I treated with a skin repair crime twice a day for, that is it!

Taking this drug is really nothing to worry about, its highly effective and you might be lucky like me and have minimal side effects. I feel exactly as I did before treatment, I got none of the mood swings, psychic changes, sore joints, depression or any of the rubbish people complain and are petrified of.

You need to reach your cumulative dose (120-150mg X your bodyweight (in kilograms)). Kilograms to pounds is * 2.2. So say you're 80kg (like me), you need at minimum 120mg X 80kg = 9600mg total. I've just realised I'm far short of my cumulative dose and need to go on for a month longer, I'm pretty annoyed at that (and my derm who judges doses by months not mg), anyway what can you do.

I broke out 2 weeks after going on the drug, then I was annoyed at the lack of progress by month 2 and by the beginning of month 3 I was clear. It happens quickly, all of a sudden you never get another whitehead. My redness has barely changed at all though. Although my face is smooth like a baby's ass, it looks red like the acne has just gone away.

I am in basically the same boat as you. I have tried everything, and just stopped taking mino. because I didn't feel it was working. My acne isn't severe, but it's very persistant. I have been contemplating asking for accutane, and the majority of people have told me to just go for it. I really want to because I just want to get rid of the acne. The way I see it is I would only need a low dose, and low doses only have minimal side effects, so I'm more than willing to deal with chapped lips.

Keep us posted on your decisions and good luck!

I wanna hit myself for not knowing about accutane earlier cuz the derma i saw over the summer just put me on mino which did nothing. On a possitive note i have noticed the Differin i have been using for 6 weeks has made my skin smoother and less large bumps on my cheeks. I am getting large bumps on my forehead though but i think thats because all the shit was hiding under my skin when my forehead wouldent break out. I hope the Differin is working and i can get on accutane here soon and speed things up before my girlfriend dumps me...well i did just buy her a nice birthday present lol..

Anyone else who has used differin experienced similar results but ended up with clear skin by sticking with it? I think i want to stick with it even while im on accutane if i get it.

Differin didn't help me. It lessened my acne to a certain degree but certainly didn't cure me. Seriously, if after a few months your acne hasn't been cured with Differin, get Accutane. Life's too short to keep trying different products. Trust me, once you take Accutane and realise how unaffecting and actually not that bad it is, you will regret not taking it sooner.