Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cl smooth

> True or False: Using a lot of 10% Benzyl Peroxide will cause premature skin aging?

After being on the regimen for 3+ years (in which i became about 75-85% acne free), I have recently started to apply 10% BP all over my face at night before I go to bed, which makes me about 90-95% acne free at any given time.

Is this bad? Can anyone shed light on this idea that BP causes free radicals or something like that?

Thanks in advance.

After being on the regimen for 3+ years (in which i became about 75-85% acne free), I have recently started to apply 10% BP all over my face at night before I go to bed, which makes me about 90-95% acne free at any given time.

Is this bad? Can anyone shed light on this idea that BP causes free radicals or something like that?

Thanks in advance.

I would decrease the BP use. It should be used for OTS not EOF. It can dry your face out and genetically change the composition of the facial skin layers and how oil is produced. You only get one face, use it well.

Well, 100% strength peroxide causes cancer in animal tests.

But 100% peroxide is as different from 10% peroxide as a candle is from a stick of dynamite- 100% peroxide is literally explosive, and scalds skin when applied. So yeah, repeatedly scalding skin causes cancer.

Nobody has managed to get lower percentage peroxide to cause cancer in animal tests though.

There's a plausible argument that says that 10% is safe. While it does break down and generates free radicals while doing it, it does so very, very superficially- free radicals are incredibly reactive and hit something and immediately react, so they can't go far. Because almost everything degrades peroxide, including the dead skin layer that everyone has all of the free radicals just oxidise that a bit and leave the underlying skin intact. In addition, skin grows from stem cells relatively deep in the skin and the peroxide doesn't seem to penetrate that far (because it's too reactive to make it that far.) And it's those stem cells that you're mostly really worried about (cancers usually form in stem cells).

The only thing you *do* have to watch for is the sun- peroxide makes the top layer of skin flaky; the top layer of skin has a sun protection factor of about 3, so you need to use lots of sun tan lotion when you go out, else your skin will burn/photoage 3x as fast.

Hope this helps.

I use it daily but it does sometimes cause my face to hurt, in which case I cut back on it. I've found it more effective for prevention than treatment. Once a pimple begins it seems like nothing can stop it from running its course.

What do you mean by premature skin aging? Everything I've heard suggests that people with oily skin start developing wrinkles later than people with drier skin, so in that case, just having acne ought to make your skin age later. To be honest, I'd rather have the wrinkles.