Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eenthusiast

I started accutane.

I just started Accutane, I am now on day 5. I am experiencing a bit more breaking out intially than I used to, but not inflamed acne.

I was wondering what other products you guys use/have used while on Accutane that was good for you? I am talking a good lotion/moisturizer. Cleanser, etc.

I don't want to use the wrong product when using Accutane.

I also was wondering how long it took some people until they noticed better results from the initial breakouts you get from starting Accutane? Then how long it takes until Accutane really kicks in and is solid in keeping acne away.

Thanks! If there is any other useful information you may have learned after a while of Accutane, please share it with me! I am hopefully on the road to clear skin and I can finally live my life back to its fullest! Thanks guys!

congrats on finally starting accutane!

i'm sure it will be worth it. :surprised:

as far as products go .. you probably aren't going to want to use much at all.

before starting 'tane, i had SUPER oily skin but after a couple weeks, it's dry dry dry.

any other topical gels/creams can irritate your skin and make it even dryer than it already will be.

i use the cetaphil cleansing bar for dry skin and the cetaphil cream .. a lot of peole say to get the lotion but i find if you use just a little of the cream while your skin isn't too dry you should be okay .. and when your skin DOES get dry you can use more.

it's not too expensive either .. you can find it at wal-mart.

your lips will also get dry;

i've used a couple different brands of lip balm but i always go back to gold 'ol carmex.

and the famous IB question.

everyone is different .. you could be clear your first month, while others still break out a couple months into their treatment .. it depends on you, your dosage, and your acne.

if you exercise, spend time stretching out because a common side effect is muscle soreness.

drinking water helps too.

and most of all try to keep a positive attitude & try to stay optimistic through the whole thing.

when you see a breakout DON'T pick at it just leave it alone, it will be better soon.

if you've dealt with it this long why make it harder when you're almost done right?

good luck. :)

All right well thanks for the heads up :)

Do you get the Cetaphil products from just like a Walgreen's or something?

And yeah I am on 40/mg with mild to moderate acne, so hopefully it goes faster than slower.

Guest AcneProne_1977

I use Aquaphor for my lips cause nothing else works as well. :)

Good luck with ur course!!

All right well thanks for the heads up :)

Do you get the Cetaphil products from just like a Walgreen's or something?

And yeah I am on 40/mg with mild to moderate acne, so hopefully it goes faster than slower.

You want to use gentle cleansers (non-drying and no acids) and gentle moisterisers, etc. Your previous cleansers/lotions pre-Tane may be too drying, so ditch them if so. Accutane dries out your skin and it will be more sensitive. Look for soothing agents in your cleansers and moisterisers, like: green tea, licorice, glycerin, sodium hyaluronate, allatoin, bisobolol, etc. Green tea especially helps with the slight redness you get on Tane. My acne was mild, and Accutane really kicked in and helped from the start. You will see blackheads clear in month two, if your acne is more moderate/severe you may breakout a bit for a few months, but your skin will clear and be really smooth!!

Good luck and ask any questions.

Yvette

THanks :) I will start drinking a lot of Green Tea again, maybe try the teabag effect on my skin to see if it promotes healing.

Does anyone have any information on this with Alcohol? ... I go out every weekend and even some weeknights, I have Thanksgiving break coming up and all of my friends are going to be back in town with me as well all come home from College, no doubt we will be partying. It'd be hard for me to go out and simply turn down drinking like that.

Does Alcohol with use of Accutane cause very unfavorable results if I say, take it in the morning to mid-day when I am not drinking?

I know it sounds stubborn, and I am probably just going to stop drinking for a while(because my skin clearing up will be worth it), but have any of you simply drank while on the pill and had no problems?

Guest AcneProne_1977
THanks :) I will start drinking a lot of Green Tea again, maybe try the teabag effect on my skin to see if it promotes healing.

Does anyone have any information on this with Alcohol? ... I go out every weekend and even some weeknights, I have Thanksgiving break coming up and all of my friends are going to be back in town with me as well all come home from College, no doubt we will be partying. It'd be hard for me to go out and simply turn down drinking like that.

Does Alcohol with use of Accutane cause very unfavorable results if I say, take it in the morning to mid-day when I am not drinking?

I know it sounds stubborn, and I am probably just going to stop drinking for a while(because my skin clearing up will be worth it), but have any of you simply drank while on the pill and had no problems?