Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wildrose

Few Questions about Levulan

Ok I'm thinking about getting Levulan since I've tried everything else from accutane, to topicals, to antibiotics, to bluelight and birth control. I just have a few questions really for those who have had the treatment. I'm thinking of getting it done over the weekend but I'm worried about when I will feel comfortable to go back to school. :genius: So my questiosn are:

1) when can I put on makeup to hide the redness? :redface:

2) how long before going out in public will be ok? Would after 3 days be enough? Or will I look too horrible to go out? :(

3) After a month has passed after having the procedure done, is it safe to suntan? (I'm planning to go on a vacation over winter holidays, and I want to suntan, so I'm not sure if I should just delay the procedure till later, although I'd prefer to do it sooner).

Thanks ;)

Ok I'm thinking about getting Levulan since I've tried everything else from accutane, to topicals, to antibiotics, to bluelight and birth control. I just have a few questions really for those who have had the treatment. I'm thinking of getting it done over the weekend but I'm worried about when I will feel comfortable to go back to school. :genius: So my questiosn are:

1) when can I put on makeup to hide the redness? :redface:

2) how long before going out in public will be ok? Would after 3 days be enough? Or will I look too horrible to go out? :(

3) After a month has passed after having the procedure done, is it safe to suntan? (I'm planning to go on a vacation over winter holidays, and I want to suntan, so I'm not sure if I should just delay the procedure till later, although I'd prefer to do it sooner).

Thanks ;)

Are you talking about the keritone and blu-u light treatment? If so, I had it done about two weeks ago and I loved it! I wasn't able to leave the house for about a good four days thou. and your not suppose to sun for awhile.but, your face will look so even and smooth you won't want to mess it up by gettin it splotched up by the sun.

Hey Wildrose!

I've been going thru the Levulan/PDT treatments now for about 2.5 months, and I'm up for my 5th treatment in a few weeks... I'm pretty happy with the results, altho I'm still getting new (smaller) cysts and pimples. They usually seem to last a shorter time, and only a few cysts have had to be injected with cortisone..... but apparently this is the course of action with this treatment. It's working deep in the hair follicles, at the sebaceous gland, and the skin has to be cleared of all underskin problems before no new things grow. So, Ive been slowly getting clearer.....but its not like overnight - bam! - NO ACNE anymore! No one told me that..... all I knew to expect was the burned/peely skin - but not breakouts..... so be forewarned!

To answer your questions:

1. Makeup can be used as soon as you want - I asked the MD that very same question too! There's really no reason NOT to be able to use makeup - it's just that the skin is still going to feel pretty hot and burned - makeup can cover up some of the redness, but I tend to see that the redness "seeps" thru the foundation not too long after the procedure...... plus, I get the "white/raccoon eyes" from the goggles that you have to wear for the light portion - and no makeup that I have does a good job covering that up..... so I try, but it's still not 100% cover-able.....

2. My MD says NO SUNLIGHT or BRIGHT LIGHT for 24-48 hours. I follow those instructions....and seem to have done okay with it. You'll still be burned and healing after those 2 days; actually, that's when the peeling/crepe-y skin starts....so, it's safe to go out after 2 days, but it ain't too pretty sometimes! :boohoo:

3. I'm not too sure about being out in the sun after these procedures; I know that my MD really strongly recommends SPF no matter if you're on vacation or just running around on a normal day..... (i live in Florida, soo....) I'd ask the MD you're going to use for the procedure about your upcoming vacation - he(she)'ll give you a good idea of what kind of wait time you'll need before getting out in the sun.....

GOOD LUCK with the treatments - - and keep us posted on how it all goes. I'm looking forward to hearing how someone else does with this - - remember, don't stop after one or two treatments. You WON'T get the results you want - you've got to keep on damaging the sebac. glands until they stop making the problems below the skin; the pore has got to clear before it stops making the acne. If you don't get all of the treatments, you'll only aggrevate your skin - and you won't get the results. PERSEVERE!!! Hang in there!!! And keep us posted !!! Patti

My daughter was peeling significantly between days 2 and 5 after the treatment, and was unwilling to go out in public due the appearance (it's kind of shocking the first time you see yourself... but not to worry). However, she had levulan and microdermabrasion, so with only Levlulan, maybe less days, but as you have been well advised above, NO sun or even bright lights for 24 hours, and don't pull off any dead skin no matter how much you want to .