Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
the helpful chap

Think about other vitamins too...

I got this book: The Optimum Nutrition Bible, by Patrick Holford.

It's full of excellently researched nutritional info. It makes sense and will help you with your acne. It's not dedicated to acne, but has a good acne section.

Please read it. You'll be doing yourself a big favour. It's available in health stores and good bookshops in UK and online at Amazon.

...it's what you put in your stomach that effects your skin.

This is what works for me:

There is a lot of truth in the old adage that you are what you eat. Eat fresh, unprocessed food, don't eat too much meat and avoid red meat completely. Eat lots of veg and fruit, drink plenty of water. Take vitamin supplements. Avoid polution. Don't eat dairy, (except organic low fat bio live yoghurt - this can help your immune system).

What you eat today, you wear tomorrow.

There are a lot of posts on this site that focus on ointments etc. While these treat the symptoms, I don't think they treat the underlying cause. Good nutrition is the key.

hahahah.....i'm laughing cuz i've known this for some time now and I haven't done anything as far as changing my diet and what not. But I found some VERY VERY good information today about this same thing. I'm going to start to make drastic changed within the next couple days but I have to see my derm October 22nd to see if I need something else (if what i'm taking isn't any good) but i'm thinking about just ditching the derms all together and just doing what is the ROOT of the problem. Gracias

-Shawn-

Avoid polution

The guy who will be walking on the streets of downtown Chicago in a chemical suit, running away from any smoke cloud coming his way, will be yours truly. I will be avoiding pollution all that I can!

Sorry, but I just can't get through the day without my pollution! :D

Seriously, good advice, though. But knocking out dairy and red meat and eating more vegetables??? Now, that's tough. :wink:

you have to look at it a little differently. By pollution he doesn't just mean city pollution like your thinking about. Pollution in so many different ways...polluted water...tap water is so freaking unhealthy for you, let alone showering in that crap. Pollution from food we eat, wash and cook whatever foods you need to. The red meat is basically none, red meat isn't good anyways, then with dairy it's not STOPPING it, just cut back. Instead of having milk, eggs, and a yogurt for breakfast try having 6 grain cereal I have heated with water. It's less than a nickel a bowl each morning and it's incredibly delicious eating with raisins mixed in.

It's common sense......what are pigs fed? Well, a whole bunch of CRAP! Then we eat the pig. Then it's true with a lot of animals. We feed some animals meats and other things that are the dead bodies of other animals (sometimes diseased) or have been dead for some time and bout ready to decay......then we eat that animal that has been feeding off of junk that isn't good. Use your brain (meaning everyone, i'm not pointing fingers) and look at the big picture and choose wisely.

Again, let's re-emphasize the point....you are what you eat! What you eat today you will wear tomorrow. So true it is even how much you try to deny it. I can go on and on about this topic but i'm going to get me something to eat right now, maybe an apple. mmmm

-Shawn-

tranceownz - I think you're heading down the right road now. I hope the changes you make improve your life. If you do it right you can make a huge difference to your whole health.

There is a bigger picture. The food we eat contains many pollutants: pesticides, hormones, antibiotics. All these can cause skin problems.

As an aside, you may want to consider avoiding prescription antibiotics altogether - they may help to start with, but they actually kill the good bacteria in your stomach, weakening your immune system and so increasing your risk of further infection.

I live in London, UK, so am always breathing in car fumes etc so I take a wacking big dose of vitamins and antioxidents to counter-act the environmental pollutants. Since I started my supplement programme it's as though I've become my old self - firing on all cylinders + no skin problems.

Another tip for you - don't go to sleep until at least two hours after eating. You don't digest food when you're asleep so it's just sitting there in your gut, rotting and releasing toxins into your system while your system's down and not dealing with the waste.

I could go on with more, but it's easier if you can get hold of a copy of the book I mentioned.

I'm off for a camomile tea and an apple.

Keep the faith!

Yeah, your body is cleansing during the night and early morning, so if you eat a meal right before you go to bed then your body will digest that meal instead of cleansing itself and that's why you can feel sick in the morning if you go to sleep 10 mins after you eat a huge meal.

Your body cleanses at night to early morning......it's in the absorption state from mid morning to mid afternoon (best time to take supplements) then it's assimilating those from afternoon to evening before it starts to cleanse again.

So from this you can see that sleep is VERY important. It's an easy, cheap way to try to help with acne. If you sleep well then your body can cleanse well.

Then yeah, anti-biotics aren't good at all UNLESS you have a LOOOOOOTTT of harmful bacteria that you must destroy all bacteria.

I'm keeping track of everything I do on the regimen log board or whatever. I just bought lots of supplements (the right kind which i'll go into detail in my topic) so it's going to be really exciting not only seeing but FEELING good. I use to eat healthy and I always felt so good until I was in denial and told my body that it wasn't helping and I could eat crappy food. Anyways, I have to go rake some leaves now :D lol...cheers

-Shawn-

to bring this post to to near the top, cus there's loads of good advice here.

Give a lot of thought to what you eat. Don't always go with the marketing. For example, if you think Sunny D is good for you, you really need to stop and think.

Don't eat dairy, eat lots of fresh veg and fruit.

Read the book mentioned above.

Visit the website : http://www.patrickholford.com

(it's not that great to look at, but the info is superb).

You can drive yourself crazy worrying about what you eat. Ironically, the stress created by overanalyzing everything can add to your breakouts. Moderation in diet is the key. Now, it's time for a bacon cheeseburger and pint of Guiness! Enjoy your rabbit food... :)

Not entirely true...

sure you should stay away from very greasy and oily foods, but the reason is more because you are very likly to splash grease or have it on you hands and then touch your face. Or if you do eat a big cheese burger you might get oils around your face and then pimples. But even if you don't eat greasy foods maybe your loved one does and then touchs your face or your cheek.

I have heard time and time again that there have been many studies about how what you eat does NOT effect what happens to your skin. If you eat bacon today and you get a pimple tomorrow, don't kick yourselve in the pants and curse yourself and swear to never eat bacon again. It takes apporx. 3 weeks for a pimple to come out from the starting period.

But off course if you think that a certain food causes pimples stay awayfrom it. But don't be afraid to eat the foods you love because fear of a pimple eruption, we have enough worry about with are faces and the stress of trying not to eat certain foods will probably lead to more pimple breakouts.

Also, with vitamins, read the books carefuly and don't over due it. If you anybody wants to take a lot of vitamins see an expert, taking to many vitamins can be harmful, expensive and your piss will look like it could glow in the dark..

I would suggest however to drink plenty of water. I drink about 6 liters aday. It makes me not so hungry all the time and it makes you mouth smell nice. you have to make twice as many trips to the bathroom though.

When you Piss turns Neon, it is your body telling you that you are taking to much B Vit. and what you are doing is pissing your vitiamins into the toilet, you will also smell the vitamins.

I am currently taking 1000mg of Vitamin C, 400IU of Vitamin E, 100mg of Vitamin B Complex, 50 mg of Zinc, 2 mg of Copper and Acidophilus. Does this sound like it could be too much or ok?

Everyone is different, but you're within safe levels of everything. The only thing to be careful of is your zinc intake. Too much can cause muscle spasms because of a lack of manganese.

I can't recommend the Optimum Nutrition Bible highly enough. It's a paperback and costs about £12 in UK.

The arguments about how much is safe to take can go on for years on this board. The statements in the Optimum Nutrition Bible are backed up with clinical research. I was a vitamin cynic myself before reading it.

BTW, it's not all about vitamins, it's about how to eat healthily so that you minimise your need for food supplements.

Studies have not identified one food source as directly causing acne, as far as a I know, but that would be difficult to do as, for example, a chocolate bar is made up of many different ingredients. One type of chocolate will have different levels of acne causing ingredients to others.

If you eat a burger, you're not just eating beef (if you're lucky), you're eating everything that's been given to the cow - antibiotics, hormones etc. Antibiotics and hormones have an effect on your skin (and on the rest of your organs).

And you don't want to know what's found in milk. http://www.milksucks.com/

On top of this, because of intensive farming methods, there are fewer nutrients in the food we eat than 100 years ago.

Why do you have acne? Because you're body isn't functioning properly.

Why is your body not functioning? Because you're not providing it with the right amounts of fuel to do so.

It's a complicated business, but one that's definitely worth looking into. I'm not saying be a vegetarian or vegan, I'm just saying get the information and make up your own mind.

NB Luminous pee is a side effect of B2 (riboflavin), it doesn't mean you're taking too much, just that you've taken some.

Peace

Chap,

Although it is said that there really is no cause and effect relationship with food and acne, I think that each individual has his/her own triggers. I try to avoid iodine. It took some searching, but I found a multivitamin that does not contain iron or iodine. I am very happy with it. As far as the "milksucks" website, I find it totally off-base. You have to consider the people behind the website: PETA. I regard PETA as an extremist group whose members are a little nuts. Besides, they tried to ruin the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show! Shame on them! I want my boobies!:cry:

Well, thanks for the responses, guys.

I've been aiming my posts at people that don't have their acne sorted (and it sounds like you do, njacobs). I'm attempting to point people in the right direction, to arm them with the mindset to try different approaches and to understand why acne is happening to them in order that they can cure it for good.

The point I'd like to make is that by putting a product on your acne, you're treating a symptom and not the cause.

BTW, I enjoyed the well-rounded argument against PETA.

I'm outta here.

Good luck everyone. :wink:

I have been "trying" to change my diet for 2 weeks now. It's tough to avoid all the "good" food. But little by little I am trying. The polution thing makes a lot of sense too. Because every day we consume a lot of toxins and crap from all this food we eat. Anything that is packaged or frozen has all these preservatives in them. I heard from a Chinese medicine book, that or skin is like a third kidney. And the main escape of this (in Chinese beliefs) is that all these toxins exit through a T pattern which is located above our eyes (forehead) and strait down to our chin. A coincidental prime location for a lot of pimples, hey? So basically we need to get all the junk out of our system. Drink plenty of water, and eat our fruits, bran and veggies. Hell, I have tried everything for my acne. Nothing I put on my face works. So I truely know that it is a much deeper problem. I even quit using BP. My acne hasn't become any worse since then. Bp is just a mask to fix the outer shell of the problem.. Those P acnes are just normal bacteria on our skin. Harmless! In fact, the help to regulate our immune system. The poor little things only cause Hell then they become trapped in clogged pores. So I just think it is futile to use BP every single day. It causes too much irritation. It's not fixing the problem. My only treatment now is.. diet, and help in exfoliation. I congradulate the cheerful chap for spreading the word.

Thanks Dan, and keep on with the "whole" approach.

If you need any more info then the book I mentioned earlier should be your first port of call.

Check out what other people reckon to it:

'>http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0749918551/customer-reviews/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/026-3806927-4124403

Don't forget to take max of 25,000 i.u. of Vitamin A! It seems to have helped me.

I went to Naturopath and she put me on 25,000 i.u. Vitamin A, 1000 Vitamin C, good multi-vite, a pill called TAPS (natural herbs to cleanse liver), lots of water (8 glasses a day), no caffeine, probotics (which I forget to take as they are in frig), 50 Zinc with copper. I am putting a natural Niacinimide Cream (4%) on face and aloe vera gel for redness, and after a mass awful breakout about a month ago, one side of face starting to clear and the other looking really good except for red marks!

Hope that helps. I believe the internal really affects your skin, and all the topical stuff in the world will not help unless your internal gets taken care of first! I am using also just a clear glycerin soap.

My oil has really decreased lately too! Must be the Vitamin A. Works like Accutane only natural and no side effects as long as you keep the i.u. under 25,000-30,000 max!

Karen

I have to admit i have found evening primrose oil tablets very good for my skin.

I avoid eating;

butter/marg, milk, sugar, cakes/choc/buscuits, jam, eggs, yoghurt, oily foods, peanuts, CAFFEINE, fizzy drinks.

Although some days i do lapse and give in for the taste of a nice chocolate bar, i always end up with a new spot the next day!!

Exercise helps your skin and i drink 4 pints of water per day. I always make sure i have a shower before bed and in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon if i can!!!!

It is amazing of what 9years of trial and error can do for your knowledge on what effects your own skin.

I believe the internal really affects your skin, and all the topical stuff in the world will not help unless your internal gets taken care of first!

Newcastlegirl, you are so right! And it sounds like you're getting there Sami.

I'll be saying this till I'm blue in the face, - I cannot recommend more highly the Optimum Nutirion Bible by Patrick Holford. It could change your whole life for the better. Check it out on Amazon.

You don't have to have acne.