Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
st_patrick

closed comedones + white head *allergic?*

I'm 21 years old and I've had mild acne for about 4 years now. The good news is that part of my acne has dissapeared. The bad news is that instead of the big swollen red pimples I have a bunch of these little small bumps all over my forehead, the sides of my head and on my cheeks... I also have little small white heads on my nose. When I get new ones they come in dozens and it looks horrible. I did a little reasearch and found out that the type of acne I have left is most likely called "closed comedones". I've also learned that AHA & BHA products would be the best solution to my problem... I think. The only problem is that when I read the description of these products it said "Caution: Avoid usage if allergic to asprin"... and guess what? I'm allergic to asprin like a m'fker! =D Soo... what's the best way to get rid of these nasty little things? Help PLZ!!!

BTW.. right now I'm using Neutrogena sensitive skin bar soap, Dan's 2.5% BP gel & cetaphill lotion... The BP has been working for some pimples, but not for the bumps......

Any experiences with baking soda? Baby brush? Tea Tree Oil Facial Scrub?

If you are allergic to aspirin, then its just BHAs that you won't be able to use. AHAs (glycolic, lactic, or mandelic) are ok though. 2.5% BP won't help much with widespread non-inflamed acne. There is a good regimen that was posted by my esthetician who specializes in treating acne. You can read it here:

http://www.acne.org/non-inflamed-acne-regimen.html

This regimen worked on my skin quite nicely. I used a combo of AHA's, 5% BP, and a mild OTC retinoid called Derm A Gel (a product by Vivant that I would highly recommend for comedonal acne). If you want to go an extra step and have professional help with your regimen and product selection, my esthetician also treats clients long distance. She has a fantastic track record for clearing both inflamed and non-inflamed acne. If you are interested, go to her website: www.facerealityskincare.com

So, my recommendations would be to add either a glycolic or a mandelic product to your regimen, and possibly the Vivant Derm A Gel. Also, gentle exfoliation with a gentle face scrub (many are too rough, but there are a few gentle ones out there) or with a baby brush (do a board search for baby's brush method of exfolation for more info).

I would stay away from baking soda - the ph is not optimal for skin, and it can be way too harsh.

Hi! This might be completely off-base, but what you've described sounds EXACTLY like what I have. I've had it for three years and went to two dermatologists before I figured out I didn't have acne, but pityrosporum follliculitis. I don't want to say you have it or you don't because I'm not a doctor, but do some research on it and see if it could be what you have.

Thank you Willow for your help. I really appreciate that people like you on here take the time to help each other rather than just themselves. I'm going to try the AHA and Derm A Gel medicines and I hope it works...

To: AKKO

So you were diagnosed with pityrosporum follliculitis? I'll do some research on it and maybe even visit a derm. My question is... do you still have it? and if not what did you use to get rid of it?

I just bought the alpha hydrox 12% AHA souffle and put some on right now... my head is throbbing like i just took an asprin, but no chest pains. =( Maybe ill try mandelic products next.. *crosses fingers*

I just bought the alpha hydrox 12% AHA souffle and put some on right now... my head is throbbing like i just took an asprin, but no chest pains. =( Maybe ill try mandelic products next.. *crosses fingers*

Yeah I think your right, however there also could be a slim chance that I'm allergic to both... or it could have just been the beer and scotch mix from last night. Lol :dance:

Yeah I think your right, however there also could be a slim chance that I'm allergic to both... or it could have just been the beer and scotch mix from last night. Lol :dance: