Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fivetotenyears

Possible damage to carotid artery . . .

I don't know where else to post this. Scar forum seemed most appropriate.

I was pressing really hard into my neck over the carotid artery area with a sharp object. (stupid I know, wasn't thinking at the time) I didn't cut the skin at all but I felt something spasm inside my neck.

I immediately stopped and my heart started pounding, I was watching tv and not realizing what i was doing. But when I felt that spasm, I immediately stopped and was like "oh fuck what did i do!!!" My friend was like "calm down idiot" and everyone thought i was being overdramatic. They all looked at my neck and said "its not even red."

but i swear ever since then, for the last month, i've felt weird stuff in that area. I'm not sure how to describe it cause i never felt anything like this. i will be doing something and all of a sudden i get a sharp twinge in that area. its almost like a mild burning in a very small area. then it goes away almost immediately.

but it happens several times a day. and its so random that i feel its not me just me imagining it. most of the time it comes when i am not thinking about it and engrossed in something else, so i dont think its me just focusing on it.

i am really worried i might have a stroke or something. what can i do? go to a doctor and have them check it out?

pretty much...go get it checked so you dont have to think about it so much....

Ditto. Better safe than sorry!

Okay, I have to ask, why were you pointing a sharp object at your neck?! On the positive side I would bet you didn't do any permanent damage. There is a specific tendon in that area that is highly subject to twinging and I bet that's what you did. Let's not do that again though. We would like to keep all the positive contributors on this board we possibly can. You've been spanked! ;)

Well we were watching a horror flick and they were killing people. I was fooling around with my friends Katana sword and had it in my hands. I was sitting down for awhile with the handle on the floor and leaning forward pressing the tip into my neck.

And at one point I just pushed into it as there was a lot of action going on in the movie. That's when I felt a spasm in what I think is my artery. The sword isn't sharpened to cut your skin but still sharp enough that you could probably cut a sandwich with it.

Lol! Dude, you are not going to have a stroke. Do you know what a stroke is? Yes, you probably injured a muscle in the area, it takes a lot of pressure to really get down to the carteroid artery and reflexes on the neck muscle can produce heart spasms. I get them all the time from a prior issue and it isn't dangerous. A surgeon can squeeze your actual heart in the palm of his hands and still not hurt the heart muscle. But get it checked out nonetheless just to make sure those spasms don't hit you too often. If you have no health insurance find out about a walk in clinic in your area. They are usually low cost.

BTW: the twinge will most likely go away on its own but you can help it by lightly rotating your neck muscle from side to side and flexing it with your jaw.