Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nobodylivesforever

New girl in town.....

Thanks for sharing ur experience nlf. I am a 31 year old female with acne for the last 15 years. I used bcp mostly to control it, and did one course of accutane when I was 21. My experience so far has been similar to yours, I am almost finished my first month. Only thing is I have been squeezing out those many black and white heads coming to the surface on my nose, and a few in the cheek area. I have an olive skin tone, and my cheek area seems flushed and a weird kind of tan (most of my actives are on my jaw line) but lots of old whiteheads and embedded stuff in cheek area. I am experiencing the same dryness in the nose area (where cheek meets) and I too have to really keep on top of the lip balm.

Two weeks today, yippee!!! :dance:

Thanks for stopping by and sharing natural girl :) Ahh yes, bcp's worked for me for years, also, but I hate the hormonal effects they dump on me these days, can do without all that jazz. How'd your first round of Accutane go when you were 21?

In a shitty mood today :mad:. As if being on Accutane, fighting a yeast infection and that time of the month simultaneously (what a lovely combo) isn't bad enough....I've got a damn cold to boot. Blech. I soooooo want to spend the weekend in bed......though that's pretty much out of the question with three little guys. Dang. But I am going to take it easy, dammit. I've learned as I've gotten older, my bod really needs time to recoup when I'm sick and I heal much faster when I spend a few days vegging on the couch (little word of wisdom for you youngsters on here :) ).

Anywho...face is dry as hell. Wow, not sure how to deal with this. Been slathering on Aveeno calming lotion in the AM and cream in the PM but might have to start considering a mid-day dose. Unreal! Skin is kinda itchy all over, but no rashes or anything. Stocked up on Aquaphor today so I can keep one everywhere....SUV, purse, bedside, bathroom, computer, you name it, it's there now because my lips REALLY need it. I have yet another big full-blown whitehead on my cheek (caught a few people staring at it today, what a self-confidence booster....not) that appeared out of nowhere, I swear yesterday there was nothing there. Pretty darn amazing. But my much younger sister who always has great skin said to me today "Holy cow girl! I have like 10 times more zits than you!". That did boost my confidence, but she's in bad shape recovering from a car accident, so I couldn't gloat. When she's better I will ;D Nothing else really life shattering to report, which is a good thing I guess. Hang in there everyone! Later.........

2 1/2 weeks......

Hello---all is well in tane land today :) It's sooooo amazing to me how this stuff is working so well already. I have like NO actives at the moment (shhhh) and face looks great :dance:. My hubby didn't believe me when I said I had no makeup on earlier, it looks that good, gasp! Dang, can I stay on accutane forever???? And another thing, it's so cool to be done with my nightly face washing routine in umm, 3 minutes flat. No kidding. I'm so used to all the potions and lotions and masks, etc, this is such a breeze nowadays, it hardly seems real. I'm down to using like one face blotter thing a day, usually mid-day and that holds me through till nighttime when I wash. My t-zone is still a bit oily (hence the oil blotter thingy) by mid-day, but NOTHING like it used to be. And I'm only on 40 mg! Excited (and scared to death) to see what 80 mg does to me. Yikes. Lips are pretty dry, you really musn't skimp on the lip balm friends, it makes all the difference. Inside of nose is dry too, but I have a cold yet, so that isn't helping. Other than that, nothing really major going on. I can't tell you what a difference it makes in daily life just having clear skin. I know, I know, it SHOULDN'T make that much of a difference, but let's face it....it does. Even at my age when I know better, it's still hard to feel good about yourself when your face looks like it's in the middle of a war and you forgot your weapon. For now I'm just doing my best to enjoy the clearing while it lasts. I still can see alot of bumps deeply imbedded under my skin, not sure when that will all start to surface but I'm sure I won't be a happy camper when it does. Ya think it will take a higher dose before that stuff budges, or just more time?? I wish I could share some of my success with Accutane with those of you that are still struggling so much, my heart goes out to you. :comfort: Be strong......

3 weeks in...........

Whew, time flies. Things are still awesome on Accutane, totally kicking myself for not trying this stuff YEARS ago. Ahh well, at least I'm here now.

So just very minimal side effects.....lips are dry (aquaphor every hour or so and they're fine), skin is soooooo much less oily (we're talking I can't even fill up one blue oil blotter thing at the end of the day---LOVE IT) and my vision is a little quirky. It's almost like my eyes are too wet, like they're tearing a bit? And I have to blink sometimes to focus better, things get a little hazy almost? Hard to explain, but I didn't have this before Accutane, so I'm contributing it to such. Nothing I can't handle, just a bit of a nuisance.

But as far as my skin goes.....OMG, it's absolutely fantastic. I still have ZERO actives, if this is a dream, I don't want to wake up. I can always judge the condition of my skin on any particular day by the amount of concealer I need to make myself look presentable in the morning (ladies, you can relate, men, good god I don't know how you survive without makeup) and dare I say that I could almost literally put away my concealor as I hardly need just a smidge! Unfreaking believable. And as aimless posted, without all the gobs of facial oil, I put my makeup on in the morning (just a tiny bit of mineral makeup to polish things up) and when I go to wash my face at night before bed it LOOKS THE SAME. I kid you not. It irks the hell out of me that for years and years I've searched for the perfect foundation and it actually boils down to the fact that I just needed a drier face to put it on. I don't think it matters one hoot what foundation I put on now, it will all look great as it actually stays put and doesn't slide off my oil slick of a face. Is this what life is like with "normal" skin? If so, sign me up! It also ticks me off when I think of all the $$ I've spent on lotions, potions, creams, masks, etc for my face and they have never made my skin look even close to this good. How can the absence of oil make such a big difference? More importantly, how can I keep it like this forever?

I continue to use the Aveeno ultra-calming wash, lotion and cream, my red marks are fading fast, not sure if it's from the products or the accutane, but I'm not messing with a good thing. I do use my Clarisonic facial brush in the AM yet, with the gentlest brush they offer. My whole routine in the AM and PM takes so much less time....just a quick wash, bit of eye cream and moisturize all over....done. Honestly, those of you on the fence about trying Accutane, give it a shot, it really can work magic :) Best of luck---nlf

Hi there,

Glad to hear you are having such a great experience with accutane. I am having the same thing with the vision from time to time, and I have a lot less oil too, I still have to use more makeup than I want, but I have pigmentation issues as well. I was wondering how you like your Clarisonic brush and if you think it helps your skin? It is a little pricey, where did you get yours?

Hey natural girl, I'm so glad you asked. I was going to talk about it in my last post, but wasn't sure anyone cared, lol. But since you did ask.....I totally, 100% love my Clarisonic brush! I got it maybe a year and half ago already and it rocks, hardly a day ever goes by that I don't use it. As I stated earlier, I now use the super sensitive brush head (not sure what they call it, they've got too many different ones for me to keep track of) and I only use it once a day, as opposed to twice a day when I wasn't on Accutane. My skin always feels smooth and clean after I use it, and it always helps get rid of any flaky skin I might have (from masks/peels before, now from Accutane). I did find that it improved my overall skin texture when I started using it....though I obviously still suffered from acne, which is why I'm here on these boards talking about Accutane. I bought my clarisonic from drugstore.com, they had some freebies thrown in at the time and I think I got $20 off the normal $195 price tag. I have never regretted buying it :thumbsup: Another plus about the clarisonic is the customer service that the Clarisonic company offers. I have had to deal with them a few times, I had some issues first with the handle and then with the base developing hairline cracks (I understand this was a design problem in the early ones, not so anymore) and each time I called the company directly and within days there was a return box delivered by UPS, prepaid, for me to send it back in, and within days of that I had my free replacement. No questions asked, either, it was unreal. They also recently had a recall on some of the older models and again, no questions asked they sent me a free replacement and even gave me a new full two year warranty (warranty had previously only been one year). After re-reading that it does sound like I've had a lot of issues with the brush, and I suppose I have, but honestly, the brush works so well and the great customer service more than made up for the problems I had.....I would seriously buy anything from that company. So that's my (long!) story with my clarisonic brush, hope that helps. Wish you well--nlf

NLF, I've been having the same eye "issues" and like you it's so nice to put on makeup in the morning and LOOK THE SAME IN THE EVENING....Like you I searched for the "right" foundation, not realizing it was my skin that needed changing not the foundation.

I'm half way though my second month now, no actives either right now, dry lips, dry shoulder blades (wtf, I can't reach it to moisturize...imagine moisturizing my formerly oily back...unreal!) This must be how the other half lives is it?

Day 24......

Packers play today...GO PACK :dance: Ok, now that I got the important stuff out of the way ;) Yes greekangel, I want to live like the other half of the population with dry skin....forever! I seems far easier to add moisture to my skin than to try to sop up gobs of oil, though maybe that's just a little bit of the grass being greener on the other side thing. Who knows, but for now I'm loving it. Skin is still doing well, though I am starting to see signs of an uprising. Damn, knew it was too good to be true. I see lots and lots (seriously LOTS) of blackheads starting to rear their ugly head. Odd, as usually I hardly have any blackheads anywhere, truth be told I'm more of a whitehead kinda girl, heehee. I am assuming this is a good thing (not like 'time to celebrate!' good thing, but more like 'necessary'), as though my skin has been nearly perfect lately in the breakout department, I can still see all sorts of evil stuff lurking just below the surface. I am guessing these blackheads are that evil stuff. So it's good they're finally coming up, right?? Must keep telling myself that.....

I need some input from you guys as I'm starting to wonder where I'm going with this treatment. I know I should've clarified this with my derm BEFORE I started treatment, but I suck and didn't. Whatever. Anyhow, what's the ultimate goal when treating with Accutane?? I mean, my skin looks great already (though it won't for long if these nasty blackheads have anything to say about it), but I'm certainly not done with Accutane, I just started for god's sake. So what determines how long and how strong I go? Are we trying to just clear up my face (almost accomplished) or are we trying to slay the evil dragon once and for all (my vote)? And how do we know if we have? I don't get it. Is there a cumulative dose we're aiming for? And if so, why? Does that help make sure it's gone for good? And really, how often does that happen, where it doesn't come back? Is that a realistic goal? I know my derm has plans of bumping me up to 80mg next month if I can handle it (I can), but do we need to if I'm doing so well at 40? What if we don't? Someone please help clarify if you can, so many questions :confused: . Thanks guys, must go, pre-game fun is starting without me :popcorn: ......

Day 26........

So the Packers won, the Giants won, and now they're headed to GB on Sunday so we can crush them on our own turf....does it get better than this???? Oh yes, my friends, it does....I have clear skin to boot! Life is good :boogie:

Not much to report on the homefront. Side effects seem to have leveled off, like my bod has adjusted to the meds with a hearty "alrighty then". Lips get dry if I don't use aquaphor a couple times a day, eyes are still a little goofy (I think it's dryness), I moisturize bod once after shower and it's good to go for the day. Blackheads are still surfacing, I don't notice them clearing up/coming out at all, just showing up. How kind of them :goaway: . No actives anywhere....face, back, chest, zilch. My skin is smooth as a baby's butt ;D

So no one has responded to my ?'s about tane treatment....the overall goal, dosing, etc. Anyone got any answers out there, or must I wait till my derm appt to impress her with my lack of knowledge? Help me out folks, don't want to look like a big dummy :dontgetit: *****Happy monday*****

hey. sry to here about that chronic thing. heres a suggestion. So, the antibiotics basically kill indiscriminately, and this also includes the bacteria that keep yeast infections in check. what you might want to do is start on some yogurt with cultures to replenish the natural bacteria in your GI tract. :think: However, remember lactose intolerance and all that, and I'm not sure how dairy works with Accutane as im afraid to even consider it. ive been on dan's regimen for about a week now and things are starting to look up - i hope this will do the trick for me bc i really am sick of it all. the thing that annoys me the most is how much time the worry consumes... :rolleyes:

Hmmm, I'm not sure about the dosage. I have read that derm's aim for a cumulative doseage based on your body weight etc. But maybe your derm will consider shortening your treatment since you are responding so well. I am progressing, but I still have a few actives on my back & chest, and lots still coming up on my cheeks. I have so many fleshy bumps on my cheeks (don't know if they are accumulated oil mixed with blackheads etc.) I find it hard to resist not squeezing them....

Hello. :wavey: Just finished reading your log. You seem to have things under control. Congrats. I'm a fellow 37/f here. I should be starting my 2nd course of tane next month. My experience with the first round was once the dryness takes over you have to stay on top of it. I turned into a chapstick junkie and went thru a ton of moisturizer (lol, go figure, you spend all that time trying to get dry) My oil production has returned to almost what it was before my first course. I really miss being able to skip a day of washing my hair. When I was on tane, it was the first time in my life that I didn't wake up covered in oil. ;) Also the inside of my nose got real dry. To keep from getting a bloody nose I would apply vasoline with a qtip up there (sorry if TMI) but it really helped.

I don't have an answer on the dosing question but feel free to ask anything.

Jules

Day 27.....(or something like that, I forget)

Thanks for the input Natgirl--ohh my can I relate on the "fleshy bumps" thing! I think they're just horribly clogged pores just dying to get their shot at being a big girl zit, fingers crossed they don't get a chance. I have tons on my cheeks, too, and they seem to be growing in size these last few days. Can't be a good sign. I actually did squeeze a few earlier tonight (bad, bad girl). I did get a bit of white, very solid, gunk out (ewww), didn't leave too much of a red mark, so it's all good. I will, I swear, try to refrain from doing so in the future though, I'm smart enough to know I'm lucky I didn't do alot of damage. I just kinda felt like feeling things out, see how it went, not much has been happening on my face these days. That's mostly a good thing, but kinda frustrating as I know this stuff needs to come out and I wanted to see if I could help it along.

Welcome Jules (have a friend with that name!), thanks for the response. Ugh, second course, hey? Did you completely clear with your first round? Why the second round? Hmmm, so your oil has almost completely returned? Dang, I was sooooo hoping that wouldn't happen, like EVER. I hate all that oil, just plain gross. It is so wonderful to not have that problem already, even though I'm pretty new to accutane, this side effect really rocks. Thanks for the heads up on keeping up with the dryness, point noted. I did notice, just today, that if I skip aquaphor in the morning, I'm pretty sorry by the afternoon :( I see you were on 80mg? I am planning on being bumped to that next month, kinda scared. I'm wondering if I'll get more of a breakout with the bump? Is that common? I'll watch for your progress, good luck to you :)

So for my current status: Back and chest are F.L.A.W.L.E.S.S. No lie.

Face? Not so much. On the surface, it looks terrific. People who know I'm on accutane are in total amazement at my swift progress. But underneath the surface, I see a storm a brewin' :ohno: . Bazillions of blackheads (very, very small and not noticeable to anyone but me) and lots of my whitehead friends are starting to grow in size. Groan. I can only hope they will just push all their gunk out without blowing up into some big ol' suckers, but who the hell knows. Bracing myself as I think it's going to get ugly :angry: Thanks for the support everyone, and please, if you have any info regarding cumulative dosing and such, please pass it on! Toodles............

Welcome Jules (have a friend with that name!), thanks for the response. Ugh, second course, hey? Did you completely clear with your first round? Why the second round? Hmmm, so your oil has almost completely returned? Dang, I was sooooo hoping that wouldn't happen, like EVER. I hate all that oil, just plain gross. It is so wonderful to not have that problem already, even though I'm pretty new to accutane, this side effect really rocks. Thanks for the heads up on keeping up with the dryness, point noted. I did notice, just today, that if I skip aquaphor in the morning, I'm pretty sorry by the afternoon :( I see you were on 80mg? I am planning on being bumped to that next month, kinda scared. I'm wondering if I'll get more of a breakout with the bump? Is that common? I'll watch for your progress, good luck to you :)

31 days............GO PACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shit. Party's over.....face sucks. I've got five very red, sizeable actives, not cysts, for which I'm grateful, but big-ass pimples just the same :cry: They're spread out pretty evenly so they manage to make my whole face look crappy. Blech. And to add insult to injury, I've got literally millions of blackheads all over the place. It's so weird, I swear before Accutane I didn't have a single blackhead! I guess I'm glad they're coming out.....IF they are planning on then clearing up. I mean, they're not just going to come up to the surface and STAY THERE, are they? Is that possible? Cuz that would be a serious bummer and a big step backward as far as my face is concerned :(. On the upside, my back and chest are still clear as can be, though with the temps being below zero around here it's not like anyone really is getting a peek at them, sigh. I've got this funky rash thing on the backs of my hands. It started yesterday afternoon with just a few little red dots, looked as though I had been out picking raspberries and got pricked with thorns, you know the look? But seeing as it's Jan in Wisconsin, I knew that just couldn't be, haha. Anyhow, by evening I had a full blown rashy sort of thing on the back of both hands, strange. I loaded them up with Aquaphor before bed (stung a little, which I thought was odd), and they look ok today. Still there, but doesn't hurt, itch or look angry really, just there. Dryness is really taking hold, I have taken to slathering Aquaphor on my lips and nose and everything in between as they are very, very dry and crack if I don't, ouch. Still glad I went on Accutane.....but we're not speaking right now :silenced:

****Thanks for the info Jules, it's good to hear from someone who's been down this road before. Good luck, I'll be watching for your progress :)

I've got this funky rash thing on the backs of my hands. It started yesterday afternoon with just a few little red dots, looked as though I had been out picking raspberries and got pricked with thorns, you know the look? But seeing as it's Jan in Wisconsin, I knew that just couldn't be, haha. Anyhow, by evening I had a full blown rashy sort of thing on the back of both hands, strange.

I had the same thing about two weeks ago but it's gone now. Face is pretty clear, actives are slower to appear and faster to heal. I'm just near the end of my second month and am back at the derm on Friday of this week for a checkup. I'm so pleased with how it's working but am looking forward to not having to put vaseline in my nose and around my eyes every night. My eyelids have been very dry, sore and itchy. Benadryl before bed helps it a bit.

Day 50-ish.............

Yikes, been awhile since I've been here! Took me awhile to recover from the Pack going down in the playoff game :hand: and on top of that my story has been a bit boring, so I've saved you all the not so spectacular details :) Well, I'm again speaking to my face and Accutane, but I reserve the right to invoke the silent treatment again if I see fit :silenced: I believe we've come to an agreement of sorts because as Greek Angel spoke of, I too find my actives are slow to come and pretty quick to exit, so overall, a good thing. Right now I have like 3 medium cyst like actives, the biggest I've had since starting Accutane, and I'm trying really, really hard to view this as a good thing. As I previously stated, my face seemed to have leveled off for awhile there, nothing really good, or really bad, happening. While I was happy there was no major upsets going on, I do still see a TON of icky stuff still under the surface that needs to come up, so I'm assuming the cysts I have right now are part of that purging process (fingers crossed). I do still ANNOYINGLY have two billion blackheads all over the damn place, stubborn little buggers. Most people can't see them (unless they're freakishly close, which they shouldn't be :goaway: ) so I just try to ignore them and hope they'll go away (kinda like my mother in law, hee hee). I had to skip my derm appt last Fri, where I assumed she'd up me to 80 mg, as everyone in my house is down and out with the flu :ohno: I rescheduled for this Fri, so I'll update once I see what she has to say about the situation. See, told you, nothing too exciting :) Ohh, rash on backs of hands is still there, doesn't hurt or itch or anything, just doesn't go away. Nose/lips/skin in general is very dry, but I continue to moisturize throughout the day (gotta love Aquaphor, how come I never heard of that stuff before now???) and all is well. I'm dreadfully scared to go off Accutane and have to deal with all that greasy, oily mess again....but too soon to worry about that. That's all for now, I'll update after my derm appt on Fri. Take care everyone--nlf

Ohhh yes! Sorry if that didn't come through in my long winded entry :) I would consider my condition "improved"......yet I feel I still have a ways to go. I guess I think if I were to go off Accutane right now (wouldn't dream of it) because my skin looks pretty good, I'd still be in trouble down the road as there is still sooooo much clogged stuff in these pores of mine that hasn't come out yet (can see it in the form of tiny bumps under skin). I think of it/them as "zits waiting to happen", whether that's true or not, I'm not sure. I am very pleased with my progress thus far, as though I still do get zits, even cyst like ones (though not as big as previously), they clear up nicely in 2-3 days max, vs. 2-3 weeks before Accutane. That in itself is great improvement, in my opinion. Thanks for asking :) Nlf

2 months down.......

Wow, time flies...time for an update. So I went to my derm almost two weeks ago now, she bumped me to 80mg/day as I had hoped. I'm happy about the increase, as I want to get this madness done and over with ASAP, but wow, do I notice the difference! My skin is soooooo dry, like P-A-I-N-F-U-L-L-Y dry. I didn't know dryness like this was possible! Sometimes I get lazy at night and skip washing and moisturizing my face before bed (because I can)....HUGE mistake. Must must must (I cannot stress this enough!) stay on top of that moisturizing, kids. Since the bump to 80mg I've had a headache almost every damn day, no kidding. Trying to up my H20 consumption to see if it'll help, but no luck yet. I sometimes take tylenol migraine, it does seem to help, though I don't know if that's a no-no on tane or not. Anyone know? I also find myself oh so sleepy by around 9PM every night, which is hours earlier than my usual midnight bedtime. And I'm crabby alot, which is starting to irk me (and my kids and hubby, too, no doubt :evil:), though I can't say that has nothing to do with this nasty ass weather we're having in Wisconsin, can you say BRRR??? Within days of getting bumped to the 80mg, I got 4 large, red and painful cysts on my cheeks. Lovely. There are still traces of them, esp one bugger who refuses to exit, but they're subsiding overall. The rash on the backs of my hands persists, but nothing that bothersome. I've still got a zillion blackheads, and I'm starting to notice that "sandpaper" like feel to my skin that many of you have mentioned. I assume it's all the crud getting pushed to the surface. My derm says on my current dosage I should reach my cumulative dose sometime around May 1st, which will be nice as I would like to get off this crap before summer (told you I was crabby ;) ). It's just exhausting coping with the ups and downs of this med, one day things look good, the next they look like shit, never really know what the new day will bring. I long for normal skin, I'm not even asking for "perfect" skin, just normal would be just fine :hand: . Anyhow, thanks for reading, helps to know I'm not the only one with a face full of crud. Best of luck--nlf

2 months and one week???.......

Alrighty friends, I'm here to set the record straight. In an attempt to be brutally honest about how tough it can be to take Accutane, I fear I've done nothing but present the shitty side of things. No more bitching and moaning (maybe a little, but I'm tryin' here). Here goes......

First, as stated many times before, my skin is really, really dry, which sucks, but that also means it is NOT OILY :dance: I'm talking not a trace. Anywhere. It's so refreshing to put my makeup on in the AM and have it stay there, no sliding off into an oily mess after only a few hours. I will take dry skin (even WICKEDLY dry skin) over icky, slimy, oily skin any day. Very cool! Second, while I do still get a few pimples here and there, (some of them monsters, and usually right smack dab in the middle of my cheek, bastards), they do fade very quickly. Like in days. Used to take weeks for the whole process from start to finish pre-tane, so this is also fantastic. Thirdly, I have found that my red marks, both old and new, seem to be fading pretty well. True, my whole face is a bit flushed with an overall pink color, but I'll take that over a face full of bright red, impossible to conceal, what-the-hell-happened-to-you marks any day. So while I do complain alot about the condition of my skin (to anyone who will listen, you're not the only ones who have to deal with me, haha), I am overall pleased with the results on Accutane thus far and wouldn't hesitate to take it again. My skin looks pretty damn good. Not show-stopping, scene-stealing good, but if I were to just pull the average joe off the street (bad idea girls) and ask him what he thought of my skin, I'm sure he'd say it looks great without hesitation. The flaws I still see are flaws that ONLY I can see, and mostly because I spend waaaaay too much time staring into my 5x magnification mirror (another bad idea). So that's both sides of the story, hope that clears things up. Whew, I feel better now :) Until later---nlf