Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nobodylivesforever

New girl in town.....

Hello everyone :dance: So as the title suggests, I'm new to this place and I'm looking for a bit of support (inspiration!). Here's my story.......I'm a 37 year old, yes, you heard me right, thirty freaking seven year old mom of 3 boys (GASP! No really, it only sounds rough, they're great :D ) that's been struggling with acne for as long as I remember. I mean honestly, aren't I just too old for this acne shit?? :wall: I've done it all, b/c pills, creams, lotions, potions, oral antibiotics....you know the drill, all to no lasting avail. The only time my face was really nice looking was when I was pregnant or breastfeeding, but dang, a girl can only do that for so long :wacko: My face right now is "pretty good" (thank you Sulfameth), but after years of on again/off again use of oral antibiotics, my body has decided to launch a revolt against me in the form of (wait for it).....chronic yeast infections. UCK :angry: (TMI, sorry folks) So that's the first crisis that lead me down the path of Accutane. The second blow, and frankly, the one that cinched it for me, was when my 12 year old son developed a bit of acne on his nose. Nothing serious (and certainly nothing my vast arsenal of acne products couldn't easily destroy), but it just hit home how long I've been fighting this battle, so long that now I have a kid that's dealing with it. It just aint right. So...I've seen the derm and signed my zillion Ipledge forms (or I just bought a house??? :confused: ), and I'll see her again Dec 18th for the Rx. My plan is to start popping the poison Dec 26th, hoping to avoid the IB at Christmas :xmas: (my fav holiday, FYI, and really, how can it not be when you have little kids of your own??). So for now, I'm trying to gather as much info as I can about this nasty pill so I can best prepare myself for the hell it will most certainly bring. I'd love to hear people's suggestions on products to gather, things to do beforehand, what to expect initially, etc. I didn't pick this battle.....but damn it kids, I am going to WAR :ninja:

Well, say goodbye to acne, because accutane will do the trick!! It has for me so far! Oh and I hear ya about the chronic yeast infections. After taking oral antibiotics for pretty much 3 years straight, I struggle with the same problem. It's crappy. Do yours ever go away? I would really like to get rid of them once and for all!!

And don't be worried about accutane. There is so much hype regarding the horrible side effects, but for me I just had dry lips, dry eyes, some headaches in the beginning, and some minor rash type things on my arms and neck (not noticeable though). The one thing that has been a little bit difficult is joint pain after working out, but I think clear skin is worth it. :) Good luck!!

Thanks for the support Babs :comfort: Yeah, not so much on the yeast infections going away. Sooooo not fun. Though, in fairness (to the nasty evil do-er), I can't really expect them to clear up if I keep taking the antibiotic. Duh. So that's where I'm hoping switching over to the heavy guns will help. Did you still suffer this horrible injustice while taking Accutane? Have you stopped with the oral antibiotics? Not too much info on here regarding this horrible side effect, though I'm sure we're not alone. Thanks for sharing :)

It's so encouraging to hear your success with Accutane, how far in are you? I'm immensely worried about the IB, as so much of my face (maybe all, who the hell knows) is congested, lots of gunk just under the surface waiting to come up for air. I suspect it won't be pretty.......

Hey, accutane is really not as horrible as I thought it would be. I was prepared for the worst, and it wasn't as bad as I thought. Make sure you buy aquaphor (it is in the lotion section at the store) and apply it to your lips atleast several times a day. Also buy other lip balms as you may not want to slather on aquaphor while in public (it is heavy, but it doesn't stop me from keeping it on ALWAYS).

This has made a dramatic difference in my lips NOT cracking at all and I'd say start doing it from the day you start accutane (don't wait to get dry). I have a friend who didn't do this and her experience was hell as her lips would bleed constantly. I am 25 and know how bad it stinks to be an adult dealing with bad skin. Accutane will work for you! Just hang in there because I'm in month three and just now starting to see real good results! It isn't going to be as bad as you are imagining...I promise.

Thanks Lulu :) I've already learned so much from scouring these blogs, I can't thank you guys enough for sharing like you do. I think my excitement over starting Accutane has finally surpassed my fear. Yeah! I just am sooooo tired of dealing with this problem, I know you all can relate. So....I just finished jumping through all of Ipledge's hoops. My oh my, they're pretty serious, hey? Apparently my derm's office screwed up when entering my bc methods, so it wouldn't accept my registration (way to go guys!). After a few hours of being on hold and then subsequent phone tag, GRRRRR, I've gotten the OK to pick up my pills. My derm is starting me on 40mg a day for the first month with the hope of bumping me up to 80 mg a day the second month. Does this sound right to you all? I'm about 125 lbs (ok, so the holidays are here and I have ZERO willpower, so it's probably more like 130 lbs, but that'll just be our little secret :silenced: ). I plan to get them Fri and start taking them the day after xmas (merry christmas to me!). I'm scared to death of the IB and don't want to celebrate xmas bummed about my face (which is pretty under control right now cuz of Sulfameth). I'll pick up the essentials at W-Mart on Fri also....Aquaphor, Cetaphil lotion and cleanser, etc. Let the games begin!

Day 1

Ok, so in addition to having no willpower, I also have no patience :) I started my 40 mg last night after I picked up my Rx from Wmart. I was planning on waiting until after xmas to avoid looking hideous for the holidays, but alas, no patience. It actually felt very empowering to have my Accutane Rx, like I was saying to my acne..... ok, you nasty bastard, you've had your way with me for 20 odd years, now it's my turn, I'll be running the show from here on out :ninja: . You know? Just felt like coming out swinging, so I took the first pill last night. No side effects yet (shocking, I know, hee hee), but believe me, I'm lookin' for em :shifty2: Picked up everything I could find in the Aveeno Ultra-Calming line, have read good things about it and I sure could use some redness relief (old breakouts). Aquaphoring my lips from the get-go to keep them in check. I do have a few questions already for those of you with experience. First, can I continue to take my multivitamin (has 100% RDA of Vit A in it), will that be too much for my system while I'm on Accutane? I've read about some taking a prenatal vitamin, not sure why that is? And second, I'm supposed to take my Accutane with fat, right? Like alot of fat? I typically eat pretty low fat, so I'm wondering if this is a big deal or not. Any suggestions? Thanks folks, your support in this battle is invaluable :comfort: Till next time.........

***(WTF??? That was supposed to have a heading of "Day 1" in pink??? Not sure why that didn't work out, think I'll stay away from the fancy stuff from now on :) )***

ditch your multivit, you need no extra vit a in your system at the moment. Fish oil suppplements and vit e supplements are good to take with it, so is a vit B complex.

According to what I read in the forum, it is ok to take fish oil with accutane. Daughter used to take omega 3,6 & 9 and when I asked the Derma whether she can continue taking them, she told me she would rather she does not take anything. A bit confused here, anyway daughter takes her tablets with cereal & milk & a handfuls of nuts. She is underweight, hopefully does not have to watch her blood cholesterol. Just wonder how much is the Aveeno Ultra Calming Lotion, cannot get it in UK but you can buy it online, but quite expensive. Pl update us of how you are getting on.

DAY 3 (Little mix up, yesterday was actually day 2 for me, not day 1)

Thanks for the advice fellow taners, it's hard to think of everything I want to ask while I'm at the derms, I always forget something. So I'm on day 3, and really, I'm already starting to notice changes. Yippee :) !!! Not all good changes, grant you, but at least I'm seeing changes, it's very encouraging. I've got a big honker coming out on my forehead, which isn't usually a problem area for me, but whatever. Very easy to cover with my bangs, yeah!, but hurts like a mother if I bump it, ouch. I've already had a few little guys that have been lurking under my skin for decades rise to the surface and vanish, how cool is that? And this mid-sized, deep, festering sucker that I've had on my cheek for probably 5 days now just all of a sudden came to a head this evening. Cool shit this accutane. Of course I say that now while things are still manageable, let's see how happy I am about it when I'm in the midst of an IB. We're just gonna hope I skip that part :) Face is still oily as all hell, totally can't wait for that to disappear, I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to not drown in facial oil every day and to not go through at least four blue oil blotter thingy-s a day--my own little version of heaven :thumbsup: No other side effects to speak of, so all in all, a good start. Thanks again for the support and help with my ??'s. Later :wavey:

Sorry lily, forgot to respond to the Aveeno Lotion cost. It was like $14.50 at Wmart here. I already bought the night cream awhile back, I think that was also around the same price, and the cleanser was cheaper, can't remember exactly but $6-8, I think? Sucks you can't get that in the UK, I do think it's pretty good stuff, no complaints from me so far. Hope that helps :)

My advice in a nutshell:

Drink a lot of water - I'm averaging about 3 liters per day - this will help the overall dryness and keep headaches away. If you get a minor headache, that means you probably aren't drinking enough water.

Keep moisturized - lips, eyes, nose, arms, neck, legs - everything. I was getting rashes, but if I put tons of lotion on, they went away.

Get plenty of rest - you are going to be exhausted!

I've also read that taking your pill with a glass of milk is enough fat to increase absorption. So don't worry, you do not have to start eating McDonalds!

Good luck to you! You will be done in no time at all!

Sorry lily, forgot to respond to the Aveeno Lotion cost. It was like $14.50 at Wmart here. I already bought the night cream awhile back, I think that was also around the same price, and the cleanser was cheaper, can't remember exactly but $6-8, I think? Sucks you can't get that in the UK, I do think it's pretty good stuff, no complaints from me so far. Hope that helps :)

Day 7............

Greetings all :) Wow, already a week in on Accutane, time flies! Glad I didn't wait until after xmas to start, feels good to have a week under my belt already. So things are good, really seeing improvements in my skin already (really!). Even my dh commented how great my skin looks in so little time. Though in truth, I was on Sulfameth before I started Accutane and that really kicks ass, so my skin was quite clear before I began. Waiting for the other shoe to drop and to start looking like hell, but maybe, just maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones that doesn't suffer so much. Skin is still oily as all hell, but it feels and looks smoother and clearer, though I'm not sure how that can be already. Not that I'm complaining, heehee. Weird how this stuff works, there'll be nothing in a particular spot at 6:30 AM, and by 1:00 PM I've got a full blown white head that's ready to explode. Very strange. I've been really good at just leaving them alone (takes soooooo much self control!) and they just clear up on their own by the next day pretty much. If and when they do open up on their own and are oozy, I just dab with hydrogen peroxide on a Q-tip to clean it out and call it a day (step away from the mirror girl!). Not sure if that's recommended, but I did that to clean out a surgical incision once and it really helped things heal, so I do that now on zits. They leave a red mark, but nothing horrible (maybe cuz I don't fuss with them??) and they can pretty much be covered with make up by the next day already. Not too shabby. My skin hardly seems dry at all, but I've been pretty religious about slathering on the lotion when I get out of the shower and throughout the day (on hands). Weird to be moisturizing my face, I used to avoid that stuff like the plague! I use Aquaphor maybe 3 times a day at this point and no dry lips to speak of yet. I'm only on 40mg a day so far, and it's early, but wow, so far this has been a piece of cake (major jinx happening, dang). I do find I'm getting more headaches than normal, but they're not incapacitating or anything, just annoying. So that's it in a nutshell. I'm enjoying the feeling of being on top of my acne.....while it lasts anyway :wiggle: Until next time......

Good Luck with your course!!! I'm 34 and suffered for years using every cream antibiotic and dealt with the yeast infections too. I completed my course in September and it's the best thing I've ever done. You won't be disappointed.

Hey Nobodylivesforever, I just found these forums today. I'm about a week into my second month of Accutane. 40mg/day first month and 40mg alternating every second day with 80mg this month, back to 40mg next month. What an amazing difference. I had some severe breakouts first month on my forehead where I normally don't get them, mine were bad cystic ones mainly on my cheeks and around my mouth and chin. OUCH! But you're right, bangs covered the ones on my forehead too!

I have had dry lips but haven't had too much dry skin everywhere else yet. It's so nice too to not go through a pack of oil blotters a week too! My skin is finally not all oily all the time....and now I can get a second day out of a hairwash. Before I used to have to wash my hair sometimes twice a day, once before work and then again if I was going out that evening it would be so greasy.

I'll add that I'm almost 43 and have been dealing with severe cystic acne since I was 30 and got the chicken pox, before that I had a few teenage pimples and had hardly any in my 20s, after my chicken pox healed up I started getting the bad acne.

Thanks for the entertaining posts, keep in touch so we can compare how each is doing!

Day 8............

Thanks for the comments girls (and boys?), it's so nice to know I'm not in this alone :) It's also comforting (yet sad) to know that so many of us 30 and 40 somethings are still suffering with acne, what the hell is up with that?? What happened to the days where this was just a teenagers' problem? So not much to report today, still happy as hell I started this journey as things are looking ggggggreat! We have a family wedding this weekend and I'm wearing a halter-type dress (just cuz I'm a 37 year old mom of 3 doesn't mean I'm not still hot :proud:) and I'm not even worried about the breakouts on my chest/back as they're nearly invisible (again, mostly the sulfameth, but Accutane seems to be taking over where that left off) and my face looks pretty damn good if I do say so myself (with makeup, I'm not insane folks). It does seem that the texture of my skin (face) seems to be changing a bit, though it doesn't help that I stare into my 5x magnification mirror constantly looking for flaws :geek:. It looks like it's getting bumpier, esp in my chin area. I know that's a really clogged up area, I can normally squeeze it at any given time and it will ooze oil. Fabulous, I know. I am thinking it's the tane pushing stuff up (and out!), so I will try not to freak. Woke up this morning with a line across my lower lip of totally dried up skin. Weird, it wasn't like that last night, and I put Aquaphor on before bed. Must not get cocky and slack on the moisturizing, think it's going to be necessary from now on. So I'll say goodbye until Monday, have a great weekend y'all ;) Side note---Greek Angel, what's your lbs if you don't mind me asking? My derm wants to put me up to 80mg next month (I'm on 40 now and I'm 125-130 lbs) and I'm wondering if that's high? I didn't know you could alternate doses on different days like you are, maybe I'll see if she'll do that first, instead of bumping all the way up to 80 every day? I love my derm but she didn't even question my weight and I thought dosage depended on weight. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

I don't mind telling you my weight, I'm currently at 145 lbs. I'm back to see my doctor on the 25th of January, I will be back at 40mg a day at that point and he said he'd adjust the dosage then to see if it needs to go up or not. I am loving that I don't have to wash my hair so much. I'm also a mom, my daughter is 17 and has dry skin and hair, total opposite of me so hopefully she'll never have to deal with this problem. However, that being said, having oily skin has kept me looking way younger than my age. I was recently mistaken for a 28 year old and I'll be 43 in April. I have a fear that now that I'm not so oily maybe I'll get wrinkly after this.

and yes, it's great to see other people our age and older who have been dealing with this too. Kinda sad when I can sit down and chat about acne products with my daughter's friends. LOL

Right now thought I'm loving the accutane, my nose is really dry inside which I counteract with vaseline before bedtime. Constantly using lip balm but otherwise my skin doesn't seem any drier than normal winter skin.

Have any females here come down with yeast infections (sorry boys) while on accutane???

80mgs should be fine for that weight. the higher the dosage, the more side effects, but also the more chance for a cure.

And yeah ditch the multi vitamin. Accutane is a form of vitamin A, and taking vitamin A(or eating it in your diet in excess) while on accutane will rape your liver and could cause bone loss.

Definately take B Complex, Zinc and Vitamin C though. Zinc especially helps skin repair itself and boosts the immune system!

Day 10 (or something like that?)............

Hello all :) Yes, well, back from the wedding (which was awesome!) and back to reality.....face is starting to suck a bit. Dang. Got a few decent sized whiteheads lurking in various places... you know the ones, the kind that just about kill you to not destroy cuz they're just sitting there taunting you with their grossness. Grrrr. Going to wash my face in a bit and see if I can gently coax them into submission and clean them out a bit, they look so icky. Face is still oily as hell, but as I mentioned earlier, starting to get a little flaky in areas, how weird is that? The corners of my mouth are cracking, I guess I wasn't expecting that, I was Aquaphoring my lips, but not really the corners so much. Time to include that area I guess, and the inside of my nose is getting really dry, think I'll put a little up there too (the crazy-ness of it all!). And yes, greekangel, I agree that the one plus of having such oily skin is I look younger than I really am, too. People are surprised that I have an 8, 10 and 12 year old :surprised: , makes me feel good (gotta take it where you can get it, I guess). And I, too, am afraid I'll end up dried up and wrinkled with Accutane....though I'm willing to take the chance :) And OMG, I swear just yesterday I started coming down with a yeast infection :rolleyes: I stopped taking my sulfameth last Friday (not a few days ago, the one before), so I don't know if it's still from that, or what, but dang, I sure hope I don't have this problem the whole time I'm on Accutane, that's why I went off the antibiotics! I've never heard of tane causing them, have you? Anyone else? I assume you're suffering also? Going to call my derm tomorrow to get a lethal dose of Diflucan as I am miserable :( But gee, other than that, things are great, lol! My oh my, I can see this is going to be a long, long road.................

***regulas----Please elaborate, is it the daily dosage that matters the most? Or the cumulative dose (is there such a thing?)? Or both?? I'm confused. My derm said she starts everyone at 40mg and bumps them to 80mg the 2nd month if they can handle it, with no mention of weight or severity of acne. Thanks for the info!

oh yeah, I've got one, horrible! LOL But I bought an OTC kit because the doc here is closed on the weekend. It's clearing up but I hope I don't get them for the next four months or so I'll go out of my mind.

Went looking for Aquaphor and nobody in the pharmacies here has heard of it, must be an american thing?

Not sure whether this will answer your question about infection, daughter has got a urine infection and she never had one in all her life and she is 31yrs. On boxing day, 22 days since she was put on accutane, she got swollen and blistered lips and was completely freaked out &tearful. I emailed her dermatologist, she is very good bless her and said I could email regarding any concerns. Told daughter to stop the accutane 45 mgs until she sees her in a week time. GP said, it looks like an allergy, hubby thinks it is something she ate on Xmas evening, spicy crisps. Anway, lips back to normal after two days of stopping accutane, now not sure whether it is the side-effect of the drug. Regarding the infection, I have read that this is possible in some cases. Daughter says, she now has a spot on her lip and a rash on her face, she is gone back to London but her face does not look too bad. She is seeing the Derma on Wednesday and I hope she does not decide to stop her accutane treatment. She was taking 45 mgs and weighs 49 kgs. In the past her dosage was very low, but cannot remember what it was and that's why we think the acne came back.

Nobodylivesforever, you mentioned Sulfameth, is it the same as Trimethoprim, daughter is taking them for urine infection. Do you know what antibiotics you should not take when on accutane, derma mentions the tetracyclines? Daughter was on antibiotics for well over two years, it is possible she has got a low resistance. How do you know when you are coming with a yeast infection? How long were you on antibiotics? Also wonder anybody experiencing rash and how do they cope with it?

I do hope the derma will let her continue with her treatment but just reduces her dose. I do accompany her for some support but will not be able to do so this time. In the past, she has changed treatment every three months.

Day 12......

Happy New Year :exclaim: Hope everyone's 2008 is starting out well, esp those of us hoping to finally have clear skin this year :) So two days ago I was bummed, face was starting to look a bit crappy. Had a few actives in various places, pretty much scattered evenly over my whole face so the whole thing looked like shit. Lovely. But today things are looking up, yeah! Actives are on the mend, hardly there at all anymore (how does that happen so fast??). I can see my face is starting to look more umm, rumply, is that a word? I think it's all the oil getting pushed up to the surface (cuz my chin kinda always looks like that, and it's oily as all hell), but who knows. This is all a mystery to me, kinda like playing a game of 'let's see what holy hell my face will throw at me today'. Not exactly liking the game :( I think, or maybe I'm just hoping, that my face is starting to dry out a bit. Really, I can't wait for that side effect to kick in, still going through maybe 3 of those blotter thingys a day. When will I be able to ditch those, I wonder? Still aquaphoring a few times a day and lotioning after the shower, but nothing too serious yet. BTW, Greekangel, Aquaphor is like really thick vaseline, or that's what it seems like to me. If you can't find it, I would think maybe just vaseline would do the trick? And lily48, BELIEVE me, you know when you're coming down with a yeast infection :angry: Basically all itchy and uncomfortable, and it just gets worse (sorry men). Started my diflucan, so things should be looking up, thank god. And Sulfameth is a combination of antibiotics, sulfa something and trimeth something? That probably doesn't help, but everything on the damn bottle is abbreviated and I can't for the life of me figure out the correct names :huh: . I have heard it's a SERIOUS antibiotic, I believe a common use is for UTI's. I've been on it off and on for years, which I know isn't a good thing.....but damn, it sure clears up my acne! Good luck to you effs334, keep us posted on your progress, it's fun to compare notes on this crazy journey :) I'd love to post some pictures for you guys but 1) I have no idea how to do that, heehee and 2) Face was pretty clear when I started tane, due to sulfameth, so I'm afraid it'd be kinda discouraging to some of you as my face looks pretty darn good already (and I seriously have NO pictures of when I looked awful, I refused to document that evilness). Hang in there everyone, 2008 is our year :dance:

Day 13.......

Good afternoon :) Wow, what a difference a day makes! Yesterday my face was it's normal oil-slick self, I was whining to DH (must stop whining) that I can't wait for it to dry out and ***BAM!*** I wake up this morning to a dried-out-like-I've-been-vacationing-in-the-Sahara, parched face. Weird. Seriously folks, it happened that fast :shock: . I put moisturizer (previously a no-no) on my face after the shower and GASP, it drank it all in and I had to apply more! Imagine that!?! I'm in totally uncharted territory here, for as long as I can remember I have been trying to banish oil from my face, now I need to add it??? We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto :unsure:

So anyhow.....very few problems to report. Hardly any actives of any kind, just a few old ones from a day or two ago. Still alot of bumps under my skin (billions if I'm using my 5x magnif mirror....stupid girl, must stop doing that, too), whiteheads I presume, and my nose is pretty blackhead-ish. Can hardly wait for all that to come up for air....groan. Lips are dry, finding that I need to apply Aquaphor or at least lip balm of some sort every few hours or it gets uncomfy. The folds of my nose (is that right?), where my nostrils meet my cheeks are really dry, too :huh:. Odd place to dry up, if you ask me, but you won't catch me complaining (ok, you might if you hang around long enough, lol). Ohhh, I did notice that right out of the shower this morning my face did look a bit flushed, but in a nice, "wow, have you been tanning?" sort of way, so I rather liked it. No weird body aches or rashes yet, so all in all a good day :). Stay tuned.......