Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Karyn_elise

differin gel and DUAC

Has Anyone had success with differin gel??? Or with duac???

My derm. gave it to me about two weeks ago now. I'm just wondering if it really works? How long did it take to work??? And does it completely clear up your skin for good?

My derm. gave it to me about two weeks ago now. I'm just wondering if it really works? How long did it take to work??? And does it completely clear up your skin for good?

Hi There.

Duac and differin are a winning combination for many. I'm not 100% clear (usually sporting a couple of little whiteheads so call it 98% clear) but I chalk that up to the extreme pollution where I live.

The differin can take weeks to give optimal effects. Duac takes less time in my experience. Hang in there. When it all starts working your skin glows beautifully.

Differin and duac both can be really drying, and the differin makes your skin quite fragile. I see that you're using some fairly harsh cleansers on your skin. Especially the scrub. If you're experiencing a lot of dryness and irritation you might want to switch to a gentle cleanser (cetaphil, purpose, aqua glycolic) and the scrub is really not a great idea. Exfoliation is a tricky matter on differin. Be ever so gentle. Use a baby brush, not a scrub! And not every day!

Best of luck with the meds!

I been on Differin gel for 6 weeks now and my skin has gotten better where it was bad before... but it has gotten worse where me skin was clear before. I suppose this is the unplugging process but its been 6 weeks!!! Im going to stick to the differin for a few more months however to see if i get improvement. I see a new dermatologist in 2 weeks so i hope to be put on accutane. I dont know about you but so far im not satisfied with the Differin.

Ahh, so you're dry too? Dry and shiny is not the best feeling, now is it. I don't know where you can get Aqua Glycolic. I'm Canadian by passport but haven't lived there for years. Maybe you can find out from another poster? I hope so. In the meantime, Cetaphil is very gentle and non-drying, and I know you can get that at any old drugstore or supermarket. Except in Korea (where I am), where you get if from the derm. Be sure to moisturize, but wait at least 30 minutes till after applying the differin or duac to avoid a really unpleasant burning sensation.

To the other poster, I know differin is awful while it is doing the purge thing. Are you getting many small bumps in addition to your garden variety whitehead? If you are those are clogged pores and the differin will sort them out. 6 weeks is still early days. In a couple weeks it should all be getting better. But if accutane is the way you want to go I hope your derm is helpful.

Yes i am getting lots of small bumbs mostly on my forehead and chin, cheeks have large red circles from zits that are healing. Some of the bumps on my forehead and chin are large and painfull however. So this is all normal for Differin after 6 weeks?

Differin worked for me. I used to have really bad acne. My dermatologist prescribed Differin gel 0.3% to use in the morning and Benzaclin gel at night. I also took oral antibiotics BactrimDS twice a day for one month and once a day for another month. The combination worked. In about 4-6 weeks my pimples just flattened out and I stopped getting new ones. My skin cleared up and now I'm just on my maintenance. Just spot treatment on the differin gel everyday and every other night I apply Benzaclin. I was just using Cetaphil facial cleanser to wash my face. People really noticed how my face cleared up that quick.