Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marla Singer.

shampoo for [color-treated hair] that won't cause acne 'round my hairline?

Hey!

Just wondering if any of you fine ladies and gents can help me with my current dilemma.

I have supershort (think pixie) red hair. I used John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo/Conditioner. Definitely keeps the red bright for a longer time, by the way.

BUT My skin's finally cleared up... with the exception of around my hairline.. and the only change I've made is using that shampoo/conditioner. So the cause is quite obvious.

And anyhow.. I'm going back to my natural brunette shade.. and.. unfortunately I've been blessed with early gray hairs... so I'll be using Clairol Natural Instincts Semi-Permanent brown hair dye periodically to correct this issue.

But my question for you guys, is:

What type of shampoo/conditioner should I use to maintain healthy/clean color-treated brown hair & a blemish-free hairline? (I have thick, oil-prone hair, by the way.. and keep in mind I typically shop at drugstores/walmart.. and really can't afford anything high-end out of a salon/department store, etc.)

*Pantene's a no-go. My hair's a grease-ball with that.

I haven't tried anything else, but Garnier Fructis looked promising... anyone try it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey!

Just wondering if any of you fine ladies and gents can help me with my current dilemma.

I have supershort (think pixie) red hair. I used John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo/Conditioner. Definitely keeps the red bright for a longer time, by the way.

BUT My skin's finally cleared up... with the exception of around my hairline.. and the only change I've made is using that shampoo/conditioner. So the cause is quite obvious.

And anyhow.. I'm going back to my natural brunette shade.. and.. unfortunately I've been blessed with early gray hairs... so I'll be using Clairol Natural Instincts Semi-Permanent brown hair dye periodically to correct this issue.

What type of shampoo/conditioner should I use to maintain healthy/clean color-treated brown hair & a blemish-free hairline? (I have thick, oil-prone hair, by the way.. and keep in mind I typically shop at drugstores/walmart.. and really can't afford anything high-end out of a salon/department store, etc.)

I haven't tried anything else, but Garnier Fructis looked promising... anyone try it?

Thanks!

funny you made this thread. I just got my hair colored, and I just bought Garnier Fructis...now I have fine hair, but my hair is actually more dry than anything else(but of course my face is acne prone). Now I only used it this morning, and I liked it..but it is pretty thick(both the shampoo and conditioner) which may not be good for oily hair. I used to use Herbel Essences for colored hair, and that used to kind of dry my hair it..so maybe, since you seem to have oilier hair than me..that may work? Herbel Essences did help keep the color though. Hope this helps

Hey!

Thanks!

funny you made this thread. I just got my hair colored, and I just bought Garnier Fructis...now I have fine hair, but my hair is actually more dry than anything else(but of course my face is acne prone). Now I only used it this morning, and I liked it..but it is pretty thick(both the shampoo and conditioner) which may not be good for oily hair. I used to use Herbel Essences for colored hair, and that used to kind of dry my hair it..so maybe, since you seem to have oilier hair than me..that may work? Herbel Essences did help keep the color though. Hope this helps

Your comment was definitely of some help! When I was trying to list shampoos I'd heard of & was interested about at the end of my post... Herbal Essences was just at the tip of my tongue.. I couldn't think of it for the life of me at the time. So you pretty much answered two questions. I used Herbal Essences a few years back in high school (back when I was *supposed to* have acne) & I remembered it being light (not heavy like you've described Garnier... which sounds like it has a consistency quite similar to John Frieda) and sorta refreshing to use.. though I was disappointed that men in tuxedos never appeared in my shower, massaging my scalp with lathery shampoo while I cried out "YES! YES!" ...actually that'd be really.. creepy. But of course. I digress. I blame ADD.

Anyhow. Thanks again, from your descriptions & post alone I'll be picking up Herbal Essences shampoo for color treated hair tomorrow!

ps- hope the Garnier continues to work out! If it doesn't, a friend of mine with fine/dry hair & acne prone skin uses a variety of the Sunsilk shampoos/conditioners & loves them. Her hair always looked awesome, too. Good luck! :)

Hey!

Thanks!

Your comment was definitely of some help! When I was trying to list shampoos I'd heard of & was interested about at the end of my post... Herbal Essences was just at the tip of my tongue.. I couldn't think of it for the life of me at the time. So you pretty much answered two questions. I used Herbal Essences a few years back in high school (back when I was *supposed to* have acne) & I remembered it being light (not heavy like you've described Garnier... which sounds like it has a consistency quite similar to John Frieda) and sorta refreshing to use.. though I was disappointed that men in tuxedos never appeared in my shower, massaging my scalp with lathery shampoo while I cried out "YES! YES!" ...actually that'd be really.. creepy. But of course. I digress. I blame ADD.

Anyhow. Thanks again, from your descriptions & post alone I'll be picking up Herbal Essences shampoo for color treated hair tomorrow!

ps- hope the Garnier continues to work out! If it doesn't, a friend of mine with fine/dry hair & acne prone skin uses a variety of the Sunsilk shampoos/conditioners & loves them. Her hair always looked awesome, too. Good luck! :)

haha yeah..no men in tuxs popped into my shower when I used Herbal Essences either! haha..but yeah, hopefully it works for you! Refreshing was definately a good word for it, Herbal Essences always smells so good, although Garnier smells pretty good too. And thanks! If this seems to be too heavy, I'll have to try out Sunsilk!