Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
headtrip_honey

Will a Derm prescribe me Accutane?

Hello, I've never actually been to a dermatologist, but I'm hoping to make an appointment in the next week or so.

I've been struggling with acne since I was 12, and I'm now 21, and it's worse than ever.

For a while I was trying to go the natural route, and not put any chemicals on my face, but the past week led to an explosion on my skin. Mostly it is clogged pores finally coming up, but all around my mouth and on my forehead I have hard, painful bumps that just won't go away.

I do not want to go the antibiotics route, which is what I've heard most derms prescribe first. My reasons for this are that most people seem to feel that once you come off them, your skin goes right back to where it was. I want a permanent fix. I'm sick of being depressed because of my skin.

If I had to describe my skin, I'd say I have a lot of mild acne. No cysts, but lots of small acne all over my face. There's barely a square inch that doesn't have SOMETHING on it.

Do you think a derm would spring for giving me Accutane? I'm scared to go on it, but I also think it might be my best choice in the long run.

Most derms in the USA don't go for Accutane first with acne like you describe unless you're scarring already. I mean indented scars, not red marks. Red marks aren't scars.

You'll likely start with a topical or two. I had perfect success with Retin A and clindamycin topical. Cleared completely and used them for a few years. Stopped them. A few years later, acne came back full force with scarring so I got Accutane for mild cystic acne. The scarring was excessive. I never had more than 1-2 cysts at a time, but every single one of them left a scar.

I've already gone the retin-a/clindamycin route. Started working for a couple of months, but then my skin just went back to where it was.

I don't scar easily, and I'd like to get this problem squared away BEFORE I start scarring. I think it's ridiculous that most derms won't try to permanently fix the problem before there is long term damage. I understand all the side effects, and that's why I'm actually scared shitless to do this, but I don't think there's another actual "fix" that won't leave me spending $$$$ for the rest of my life.

Ahh ok. Make sure you write down all the treatments you've tried so that the derm will know, and you'll remember when you get there.

Make your case for Accutane, and you may get it! Mention your worry about scarring as you get older. You're a good age NOT to scar right now, but with continued acne you may begin to scar as your poor skin ages.

Thanks Wynne. :)

I love how supportive this forum is. I've spent the whole day crying on and off about my skin, so it's nice to be able to come somewhere where people understand.

Thanks Wynne. :)

I love how supportive this forum is. I've spent the whole day crying on and off about my skin, so it's nice to be able to come somewhere where people understand.

That's why we're here and why Dan makes this website available. It's so helpful and fabulous to be part of a community that truly cares and helps others. :) Glad you feel comforted. :)

Hi there -

Most Derm's will have you try antibiotics first then Accutane. I want to say Minocycline worked wonders for me but instead of tapering off after 3 months, my Derm. had me stop. Also, I got a IPL (pulse light treatment) and then my chin acne came back. So, I do want to say Minocycline DOES work but take it a few months and then do a taper. If you really want Accutane, generally a FEMALE Derm. will more likely prescribe from the get-go. Tell her how you've had this mild, persistent acne for so long and it's affecting your quality of life. I'd ask around (and even on here) for Derm's in your area that may be more sympathetic and understanding about persistent acne and discuss Accutane with you. Accutane is a strong drug but if monitored and dosed accordingly, you will have super clear and soft skin! I'm in month 7 of low dose Accutane (female Derm.) and love it!

Good luck.

Yvette