Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maddy001

anyone doing this?

I came across this friend of mine and the topic on acne and accutane came up. She told me she had taken accutane 6 years ago when she was 19 and till now she is still clear. She told me her secret: She had went on a normal 6 month 50mg course before. However after she finished her course, she was afraid that her acne may come back so her derm suggested 10mg of accutane per week as maintainence. I asked her whether she had any side effects from such a long term use of accutane and she said no, just as normal. Although I had said that I probably wouldn't do accutane again after 1 course but this is pretty tempting.

Would you guys recommend it?

Bump. Can someone at least reply? I get the feeling that people sometimes ignore my posts. Just want some opinions thats all.

Well, my personal opinion...

I don't see how 10mg per week could have any real benefits. I mean, 10mg per day is considered low dose, so 7X less than that, I really don't know. But I'm no expert.

I'd also be worried about the health effects if you were on it indefinitely...such as raised cholesterol the whole time, strain on the liver, etc.

Thanks I just want some opinions on this. Its just tempting that's all, I'm also not sure whether I want to do it, I probably discuss it with my derm at my next appointment and see what he says.

Hey there -

I read a post somewhere on the Net that celebrities do a variety of things to keep their skin clear - antibiotics or Accutane (very low dose). So this is probably not uncommon. I do agree that potential long term use could be a problem - bones, liver, etc...

Yvette

Hmm, very very very tempting. Surely it won't be that taxing on the liver though, such a low dose? I did a fair amount of heavy drinking on full dose (shh, don't tell the derm) and my liver results are fine.

Once im done my course, if my acne comes back im gonna try this. I barely have any side effects on 40mg a day, I cant imagine 10mg a week.

Madeleine, as far as very low doses are concerned -- we are pushing back the frontiers of knowledge here. All anyone can really say now is to make sure you understand the risks, then if you decide to try it, document and post your results.

Remember, however, that the risk of birth defects is HIGH and there is no safe dose for something that serious. Long term use of Accutane means long term use of birth control.

i find it hard to believe that 10mg a week would have any effect... but as there is no research i guess no one can say for certain.

tim