Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everyone. I am a 32 year old female who has been battling acne for years. I was on Modicon (BC) for about 15 years and went off to try to get pregnant. Diagnosed with PCOS a few months ago. I have tried everything... Different, Duac, Minocycline, Erythromycin, Tetracycline, etc. Everything but Accutane. I am currently on 1500mg of Metformin. I went on YAZ and Spiro at the same time in July and my face exploded!! Was way worse than it had ever been... (I stopped taking both meds immediately). I don't know if this was due to the new BC (Yaz) or the Spiro. I have read many many many posts that say the Spiro wll make skin worse in the first few weeks. However, Dr. Goeffrey Redmond (New York Endocrinologist) states in his book and on his website that Spiro will not make acne worse. I am soooo confused about what to do and what to try. I also have a gluten/dairy/oat allergy so I am on the Paleo Diet for acne. Can anyone tell me if when they started the Spiro they were also starting a new BC pill?? If so, which one? I will start my old BC (Modicon) at the end of this month and pray that it has te same effect on my skin (totally clear) that it did previously. Thank you all for your support and help. :mad:

Amylynn

The breakouts you experienced were more likely from the birth control than the spiro. I think trying another birth control pill is good, but I wouldn't give up on the spiro yet. If you think about how spiro works (blocking certain receptors), you really shouldn't experience any worsening of acne from it. It just may take a while to kick in. Birth control, on the other hand, messes with your hormones and definitely can cause acne.

I was on birth control also for a few years & had noticable success with it in clearing my acne - didnt realize it helped though til I too went off BC to get pregnant. 3 years later & no baby :( I am 30 years old.

My face wont clear up no matter what I try. For 3 months I have been taking spiro & just recently Doryx. No improvement. Just this last week I also added my yazmin to the mix - I have my fingers crossed! - I will keep you updated