Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Colmeng

Accutane exfoliation

Ok so I've been on accutane for 18 days now and so far its been good, but I've noticed after I shower my skin has a lot of flaking and i can smooth my hand down my face and exfoliate a lot of skin. So I know that exfoliation is good but is there anything that I can use to help take off the flakes like some kind of cloth that will take them off gently (because my hand isn't a very gentle tool)and also is it alright to provoke it a bit too, like in the shower use a baby brush or an electric toothbrush maybe?

And if anyone knows if exfoliation helps get rid of blemishes or not please tell me. Right now my biggest problem is blemishes.

If by blemishes you mean the acne itself, those can't be exfoliated off. The accutane will take care of them by helping your skin exfoliate. If by blemishes you mean red marks, well, time will take care of them but sometimes they are more persistent while one's on Accutane.

I wouldn't recommend additional exfoliation on Accutane as it can be extremely irritating to the skin that's made so sensitive by Accutane.

A good moisturizer is paramount! Aquaphor and Vaseline petrolatum jelly (thinly applied) right after your warm (not hot) shower help significantly. Another wonderful thing to use on the body is mineral oil/baby oil! It feels so nice to use while still in the shower. Massage it in gently in the last bit of the shower. Get out, towel dry and you'll likely be happier with your skin.

If by blemishes you mean the acne itself, those can't be exfoliated off. The accutane will take care of them by helping your skin exfoliate. If by blemishes you mean red marks, well, time will take care of them but sometimes they are more persistent while one's on Accutane.

I wouldn't recommend additional exfoliation on Accutane as it can be extremely irritating to the skin that's made so sensitive by Accutane.

A good moisturizer is paramount! Aquaphor and Vaseline petrolatum jelly (thinly applied) right after your warm (not hot) shower help significantly. Another wonderful thing to use on the body is mineral oil/baby oil! It feels so nice to use while still in the shower. Massage it in gently in the last bit of the shower. Get out, towel dry and you'll likely be happier with your skin.

Any side effects of you using Accutane besides dry skin? Sounds like it working great.

My acne is just getting worse and worse... Im going to ask my dermatologist to be put on accutane.

Any side effects of you using Accutane besides dry skin? Sounds like it working great.

My acne is just getting worse and worse... Im going to ask my dermatologist to be put on accutane.

I am going to start taking this at the end of the month. I heard that you can't get waxing done while you are on it...thats fine but as a 31 year old woman i have to ask - can we at least pluck eyebrows or will my skin fall off?? Can someone please help me out! Also, does the dryness effect your whole body or just the face?

thank you everyone!

It affects everything your lips your hair even the hydration of your body. You might notice when you start taking it that you have to drink fluids more frequently then normally. As for questions, plucking eyebrows is fine there shouldn't be enough irration to do any damage. Remember this all depends on how it affects you, take me for example I handle the skin drying effects and other side effects quite well. So I'm able to shave to exfoliate cleanse and use a topical, and I still don't get any irritation to my skin.

Take the Accutane for a month before doing anything jurastic, see where your at. After a month you'll likely know what kind of side effects you'll get from Accutane and be able to take action accordingly.

Guest AcneProne_1977
I am going to start taking this at the end of the month. I heard that you can't get waxing done while you are on it...thats fine but as a 31 year old woman i have to ask - can we at least pluck eyebrows or will my skin fall off?? Can someone please help me out! Also, does the dryness effect your whole body or just the face?

thank you everyone!

Thank you both so much! I am really nervous to start this, it seems to be my only option, I have tried everything. I appreciate any advice and feedback people can give me! :)

Guest AcneProne_1977
Thank you both so much! I am really nervous to start this, it seems to be my only option, I have tried everything. I appreciate any advice and feedback people can give me! :)