Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zorro

Kaiser Permanente Sucks

I'm not quite sure if this is the appropriate place to vent, but I need to let this out. In northern California I successfully completed three months of Accutane with no hassle with the iPLEDGE system, little/no side effects, and clearing of most of my face acne (with some back acne remaining). I go to uni in LA, however, and the quality of service provided by my HMO is much, much lower there.

For some bizarre reason Kaiser has completely separate systems for northern and southern California members, and I had to spend several hours navigating phone menus in order to get my lab work for previous months sent to me so I could fax it to the dermatologist in LA. Since I have no car, I had to take a two-hour bus ride to visit my derm and get my blood work done. After getting the lab results back, my derm approved another month by phone, although he had to ask me the dosage I was currently taking (!) and didn't bother to look at my acne (!). Due to midterms and such, I couldn't get to the pharmacy until 3-4 days into the 7-day window; when I got there last Thursday, however, the pharmacy made me wait an hour until *surprise* they could tell me that my prescription was denied by iPLEDGE.

I got back home rather frustrated and called my doctor the next day to get everything sorted out. He reauthorized my prescription and I specifically called the pharmacy to make sure that the medication wouldn't come up as denied. For some reason, it did just that so I spent another hour trying to get my doctor and the pharmacy to talk to each other. Finally I get a confirmation from the pharmacy that indeed, I am eligible to receive Accutane, and I can come within the next seven days to pick up the prescription.

Today, I get a friend to take me to the pharmacy, and I am asked to wait for an hour and a half before being helped. Lo and behold, my prescription is again *denied* but to add insult to injury the pharmacist claims that I have to pay the non-member rate ($700 rather than the usual $100) because my number isn't coming up in the system. :wall: I'm now out of medication in my third month and I am fed up with dealing with this nonsense; I'm thinking of just stopping my regimen just for the sake of convenience.

Anyway, the moral of the lesson is? (1) Don't start an Accutane regimen while you're at college in Los Angeles and (2) Kaiser Permanente sucks, big time, especially in Los Angeles.

P.S. I'm not dissing the city itself, just the horrible health care here.

I can't speak for LA since I live in northern California, but I've never had a problem with Kaiser. Sure, the pharmacy is a little slow, but other than that it's the most effective health care plan I've ever had. Far better than anything else that's out there, at least as far as I know.

I can't speak for LA since I live in northern California, but I've never had a problem with Kaiser. Sure, the pharmacy is a little slow, but other than that it's the most effective health care plan I've ever had. Far better than anything else that's out there, at least as far as I know.

Yes, the *NORTHERN* California Kaiser Permanente is fine. However, try to get treatment in LA and you'll feel the pain. :boohoo: