Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
work in progress

MY FIRST POST(I see hope, but the options are mind boggling!)

Hello:

This is my fisrt post and im hoping to cut down on all of the options for treating redness I have read on here. My biggest problem is redness, and its not specific defined spots im dealing with its redness in general on my cheeks and forehead. Just to give a little brief history, I have tryed nemorous treatments befour deciding to go ahead with accutane. I have been off it for almost a yr now and rarley get breakouts anymore. I have some scarring(not sure what type on my cheeks, raised i think) but its the redness and sensitive skin thats bad. I cant tan the skin on my face really any more it just gets red. Right now I just clense with spectro sensitive skin, moisturize(gets red after i do) and wear sunscreen everyday. I have done some reasearch on this site and im glad I have found it. So here are the things im considering

-lactic peels(which AHA is best?) plus copper peptides?

-Apple cidar vin.(I am currently using this(2 days now)applying to skin. I cant see consuming this stuff tho! but is there additional benifit from doing so, i see some ppl do consume it. also with baking soda?

-Jojoba oil or emu whats best? also what vitamins do they have and do some have vit. added. what vit. are best for redness? also i read somewhere on here there is a oil that is better than both jojoba and emu?

-the pure deeming.

- I have tryed the scotch tape thing a few times(seems a bit ghetto) is there anything else i can use daily? and is it ok to do this under the eyes because when i do it it doesnt look healthy?

I think im going to go with the applecidar vin. plus drinking lemon water, lactic peels, either jojoba oil or emu and the scotch tape

So my most important questions are:

1. whats better emu or jojoba and which brand, plus vitamins? and where to get it cheap and a well known product.

2. Which Lactic peel to get and which AHA is best(and where to get it cheap)

wow this post is really not organized, sorry but please help!

Ohhhhh i forgot..about the lactic peel. I read its very important to prep the skin befour going ahead with the peel to balance the PH or somthing or is that onlt for glycolic peels?

thanks!

OK PLEASE DONT SAY THINGS THAT ARE GOING TO MAKE ME MORE UPSET ABOUT MY SKIN THAN I ALREADY AM, i did not come here for that sierralita. Why are you assuming my reddness is from retin a THEN suggesting i have permanent reddness!!!!! F U C K! i was not on retin. I have reddness where my acne and zits were, on my cheeks and the bottom of my forehead, i do not have beautiful but red skin ok. PLEASE choose your comments more wisely.

and then saying vinegar may not be so good for me. WHAT IS THAT

Calm down, work in progress.

Re-read the post and then modulate your own tone. The poster was trying to help you.

I'm going to move this post to Rosacea and Facial Redness forum.

If you have overall redness, a derm visit might be a good idea.

I do not know the ingredients of the Spectro wash, nor which moisturizer you're using.

Emu oil is very oily and one to two drops work very well at moisturizing the whole face. Jojoba oil is comedogenic (causes acne by clogging pores) to SOME people but not all.

There are SO many options.

I would NOT start with any type of peel at ALL. Redness usually means irritation. A chemical peel, NO matter how light, will increase irritation.

And if you're talking about POST-INFLAMMATORY hyperpigmentation, in other words, red marks where acne once was, that's a totally different story and requires a different approach. That involves the "Red Marks" forum. So let me know which it is, Rosacea and Facial Redness OR Red marks as it is difficult to tell by your description. Thanks.

You just need to continue using a sensitive skin cleanser, moisturize with something like Aquaphor or Vaseline petrolatum jelly (fine thin film, very little is all that's needed), use sunscreen and get a dermatologist appointment.

Monitor your diet to see if your redness increases with consumption of certain foods.

Monitor your skin to see if your redness increases during times of emotional stress. Those indicators will be important to tell your derm.

Also the location of the redness; is it all over all the time, is it worse certain times of the day.

Another strong suggestion: Do NOT wash with hot water. Hot water will increase irritation and redness. Wash with cool or warm water. If you give yourself a final rinse with cold water, that may also help tone the red down.

ok. According to my derm. the redness is caused by all the zits i had. I didnt just develop facial reddness, it was caused by my acne and all the acne treatments i had and i think accutane was the iceing on the cake. So how should I treat this then? will peels and the tips they give you in the POST-INFLAMMATORY hyperpigmentation forum help or just make things worse? im confused. Or should I treat this in the facial reddness way? I dont think I have facial redness. I have post acne marks just alot of them so all of my cheeks are red, does that make sense? I guess pics would really help? Im just using spectro gel(im supprised you have never heard of it) and nutraderm as a moisturizer. I just started the apple cidar vin. if that helps than i should take the post acne mark route, and if it makes it worse i should take the facial redness route?

Ahhh! Ok, it sounds more like post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. It's a bit confusing, all these terms, isn't it? :D 'Twas to me when I didn't know. :) That's ok, the longer you visit here and read more, the more you'll know and learn.

For generalized facial redness that's due to irritation, the suggestions above will help.

For post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (red marks left after acne), there are other options. Gentle is still key; you don't want to upset your skin and cause it to break out again.

Some people find that glycolic acid products really help with PIH (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation). I find it works wonderfully for mine. Mine are almost all gone now. Thank goodness! Finding a good moisturizer that's also gentle, that doesn't increase redness is also a plus. I think Aveen??? makes something called a redness relief moisturizer. There are many options on the skin care aisle at drug stores. I'd go, browse, write down what you see, come back here and post. We can help you pick good ones!

There's a marvelous pinned few posts at the top of the red marks forum that will guide you to clearing up your red marks. Those three posts are very helpful! They make great reading and are more likely where you'd want to start.

The good thing is that the 'redness' you describe is most likely just the PIH, meaning that even if you do nothing, they will eventually fade away on their own. But you can speed it up a bit with the techniques in the pinned posts. If and when you have questions, please ask and there are many people here who will be very happy to help.

I still wouldn't recommend a chemical peel to start with. Sunscreen is very important and it's great you're already using sunscreen. Gentle, mild exfoliation such as a mild chemical exfoliant like toner strength glycolic acid is one terrific means of getting rid of PIH. It's good to use a gentle cleanser, too. If the spectro wash works for you, continue to use it. I'd recommend another moisturizer if the one you're using increases your redness. Moisturizers are odd; so many of them irritate skin that's NOT sensitive.

1st of all ur skin is red because ur skin has become sensitive coz of accutane, there are three spectro jel cleansers in the sensitive skin range (blue, purple and light blue) which colour bottle is ur cleanser and since when u using it and ur moisturizing ur skin with nutraderm do u have dry skin i need to know coz nutraderm is only for ppl who have dry skin and there are 2 nutraderm moisturizers (original formula and advanced formula) which 1 ur using i think its the problem with ur moisturizer coz after applying it, it makes ur skin red and fades away in sum time...

copper peptides are not good for sensitive skin better stay away frm this lactic peels has lactic acid in it which is usually found in milk lactic peels are the most gengle to ur skin and is good for sensitive skin ppl as it repairs ur skin by letting it regain its nautral skin barrier...yes it is necessary to prepare ur skin before indulging into these lactic peels they will give u lactic acid formulation and will advise u to apply it everyday for a week or so to check whether ur skin is allergic to it or not if u get some irritation or rash u wont be advised to go for it...

see i dnt know but i feel u shouldnt apply apple vinegar if u want to continue consume it but dnt apply it...

i prefer tea tree oil than jojoba and emu...

scotch tape no i guess it only suits nelly and 50 cent...

go to a pharmist search for a multi vitamin tab which cover all vitamins a to z...

main pt of the post is go for lactic peel...

You say copper peptides are not good for sensitive skin but then go on to say you prefer tea tree oil to emu oil? Tea Tree oil can be alot more irritating than copper peptides... I have mild rocesea and have no problems with copper peptides...

hi lamarr1986,

i havent used copper peptides so i dnt know but ive heard its not good for sensitive skin its used for getting rid of wrinkles...

ive used tea tree oil before i got seborrheic dermatitis tht is 6 months back it was very soothing to my skin but i havent tried it lately after i got seborrheic dermatitis...

seb derm. All i am doin for my skin and all i have been doin since accutane is clensing with spectro gel problem sensitive skin(purple) applying a quality high spf screen and using moisturizers. No its not the nutraderm that is making my skin red, its the acne i had and the accutane. Any moisturizer I have tryed when I apply it after clensing makes my skin temp. red because its vulnerable after washing. I have tryed a aveen one(rich compensating creme) $$$$$ and it makes no diff. the nutaderm(red one as i understand its the only one) is for dry sensitive skin anyways and is very light. My skin is not dry but sensitive

please look here as i have the same discussion going in the reddness thread as i dont know which i have.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/MY-FIRST-...ng-t176789.html

I do not know which direction to take from here. My derm says the reddness is from all the zits i had and will fade, but after close to a yr i see NO improvment.

Thanks wynne, your really helpful. I did read all of those 3 pinned items. My first post on this thread after reading all of the scar forums and what relates to me on this site, is what I have come up with too think of trying. Taking it really slowly makes sense on harsh products since my skin is really sensitive now, but the methods of solving this problem seems harsh in general. So I guess its a fine line between being gentle and still harash enough to solve the prob.??. I hope its just PIH as wynne decribes.

One question, do any of these procedures talked about in my original post hamper collegen formation? Also lately, actually after I tryed apple cidar vinegar I noticed a pretty severe scar relative to my overall scars on my face appear out of nowhere. No zit befour or anything just a scar, an indented one! I cant say its because of the ACV tho, because im pretty sure its happened befour.

I will get some pics.

Hi work in progress, your story is uncannily similar to mine.

I was on Accutane to treat cystic acne. I still have a generally red hue to my face (cheeks, nose forhead) and thats 2 years on from finishing tane. I have only maybe a couple of small red marks but my face generally consists of a persistent redness that was worse when I was on accutane, but toned down to what it is now and still hasn't returned to normal skin tone.

Im under the impression that Accutane has weakened our skin, or changed some dynamic to cause the redness when your on the medication, and something that permits it to persist even 2 years after stopping taking it.

Any information that helps you is sure to aid me, from what I can tell you I've tried quite a few things and haven't found anything that gets rid of the redness however I have formulated a regime to stop my skin from getting redder and sensitive so far.

+Cleansing with Pears Soap and cool water

+Moisturizing with Bio Oil

+ Shaving with electric beard trimmer to a stubble

No moisturizer, skin lightening or treatment has had any effect. and the chemicals just seem to agrivate it. I have tried -

+ Palmers Skin Sucess Eventone Fade Cream

+ Dermabrite Complexion Cream

+ Rosacure aka Synchrorose

+ Lemons on face

+ Aloe Vera Gel

+ Cetaphil

Apple Cider Vinegar just seems to fkn harsh I woulden't put that anywhere near my skin

I have a question for you - Is your scalp a reddish colour too ?

No my scalp is fine, but what u describe is similiar to what i have :( I borrowed a digi cam too take some pics and let me tell you its not going good. The pictures i am taking show very little of what im trying to show u guys. Its too dark outside now, but i tryed it inside with a light and it just looks bright maybe i have to turn off the flash. Any suggestions on how to take the pics? Maybe Wynne can comment on this as he has breifly taked about this. Also im considering not even using a moisturizer everyday now. My skin is not dry at all, I have stopped befour and it makes no diff in terms of reddness really. Sure it makes your skin look a bit better and softer also more greasy. Any moisturizer i put on my face after clensing from a 60$ aveen one to a cheap cetaphil makes me go temp. red. Just to give u an idea after i wash and apply a mois. it looks like shit for the whole night, then the next day when i wake up it looks better and i just splash water on my face then apply spf then go out. Makes planning big days really damn fun

-should I take pics when i look my worst(after i clense and mois.) or best( right befour next clensing) because theres a HUGE diff in skin quality. Its not like my brother when he washes his face it looks fresh and nice when i do it it looks horrable! and no its not the clenser im using.

Yep after I wash my face (even with just water) it goes redder.

I have the cetaphil moisturizing lotion and after I apply it, my skin turns redder and then it goes away after about 20 minutes. It's the same with anythign i put on my skin.

I'll take a pic after I wash my face to give an idea, I posted on a rosacea forum and the feedback I got told me that they didn't think I had rosacea, maybe pre-rosacea and sensitive skin.

redeyesblue, under what lighting and what exact settings on yur camera are you using like saturation etc. I want to take the best pic i can to show my skin like you did.

BTW: your skin looks fine!

Well, I don't know about the moisturizer causing redness. Whenever I touch my face it turns red for a little bit, including when I very gently rub emu/jojoba oil onto it.

It doesn't with the cleanser probably because the cleanser is slick and there isn't really any pressure or anything.

Thanks guys accutane cleaned the acne up great

workinprogress I took it indoors in the day with the windows open, in i guess what you would call indancendent (dim) light with the flash on. I didn't edit it or increase brightness etc as the natural contrast was a pretty true reflection.

I would say use the flash, just make sure its not too contrasty, as in the skin isnt too bright and unnatrually illuminated. I dont think it looks right if you dont use a flash as it tends to make your skin look clearer/more even and loses detail.

ok, got two pics. Under two lighting conditions. I still want too take one in the sunlight, as it really brings out my great skin :(

These pics were taken when my skin will be at its reddest, after I clense and moisturize with an aveen product. Please copy them into a quickviewer so u can zoom in, as the quality is excellent or roll over the pic on the bottom right as there is a maximize box.

So please give me your opionions and break it too me soft about what the hell is actually going on with my skin, and how to get rid of the reddness. Once that is gone there is some scarring i know but what kind? and its really not that deep right? The reddness is my biggest concern, but the reddness aside my skin still looks terrible espeshily in the day which you are not seeing. All I am doing now and all I have ever really done is clense, moisturize(not always really) and apply sunscreen rain or shine. I want to know where to go from here.

http://i13.tinypic.com/6kho5zl.jpg

http://i11.tinypic.com/8b6e64l.jpg

workinprogress your skin looks smooth, certainly no worse then mine. judging from the pics its actually very similar, with the hue of pinkness after accutane, wow.

The 'scars' are hyper pigmintation from old spots. I suggest putting bio oil on them, I use it as my night time moisturizer and it seems to work quite well, give it time they will fade, they arn't really noticable, almost everyone has a few small bumps on their face and you shoulden't be worried. If you shave over them with a razor that will aggrivate them, so I suggest switching to electric and shaving to a grain until they heal.

like me the slight redness is what you want to get rid of yeah, I found this post at RosaceaGroup that was very interesting if you want to take a look

http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewtopic.ph...cea&start=0

^ you will need to read that post to understand what the hell im on about !

Now I picked up some HCL (Betain Hydrochloride) Supplements, and did a test found here

http://www.rheumatic.org/hcl.htm

it basically tests to see if you have sufficient HCL in your gut, with the test it took 3 tablets before I experienced a burning sensation, in which case I start having 2 tablets before meals and am finding it working well, as I am apparently HCL deficient (as many who's immune systems have been fkd up by harsh drugs). Im going to try this for a month and see if theirs any improvement. Apparently these HCL things cured this girls rosacea, even made her red ears go to normal which I found promising.

Another thing that I have found that may cause the redness is demodex mites. So I'm applying 100% tea tree oil on my face at night to kill the critters if I have them, and apparently will see an improvement. (search demodex on these forums for more info)

For now I really suggest using Bio Oil at night for the red marks, and if your interested in the demodex/HCL thing, pick up some tea tree oil and Betaine Hydrochloride supplements and do that test I did.

redeyesblue. Your post is confusing me and causing more questions. Your basically saying my reddness could be caused or not getting better because of a lack of HCL. I dont think tane f u c k e d up my immune system, i never get sick and feel extreamly healthy, not even my liver has been affected really as I have gotten tests. I dont think i have rosacea and i wasnt on tetracyclines, im not sure that applies to me?. And the thing about the mites???? Is this really the way to go?

I just think i have reddness because of the acne and acne treatment(s). And its not really spotty reddness its general reddness on my cheeks with some marks and uneven skin. So i still dont know is vinegar and peels(going that route, to treat red marks) is the right way to treat my problem. Can i follow the best ways to get rid of your redmarks form or should i be doing something differnt because it seems really sensititive and the red hue is covering my cheeks as you see in the pic so would those kind of treatments help me or make the general reddness worse as it seems like there all in a form of exfoliation. Im still confused I have more general reddness than red marks right?. Can I get some other ppls input plz (wheres wynne?) Also I am not even using a moisterizer anymore as no matter which one I use it just makes my reddness worse and over long periods of time makes my skin look worse if I have it on, i just liked it because it seemed to hold off some of the grease espeshily with the sunscreen i wear(dry touch ultra sheer by neutrigina) it just keeps my skin free of oil it seems. I just clense and wear a sunscreen basically.