Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
franie

Stress acne

I've had a pimple and blackhead problem since I was a teenager. I used to get it on my forehead only in highschool, which turned into an all over my face thing in my first year of Uni. I was eating really badly though so I think that had a lot to do with it. I went on antibiotics and then the pill and had great clear skin for a couple of years.

The pill gave me chronic candida so I went off it after a year and the pimples slowly started to come back, but not too badly. I always had at least one on my face at all times but nothing to really worry about. UNTIL this year.

At the beginning of this year my boyfriend and I split up after 8.5 years (I'm 28 now). The first week I was extremely depressed and had panic attacks. My skin went beautifually clear, which I've now found out is because your body produces anti inflammatories in times of shock. After that week, the pimples started coming, and kept coming, and coming until my friends and family started noticing and asking what was going on.

It's been around 7 months now and I've tried topical gels from the doctor, cutting sugar completely out of my diet and visiting a naturopath who put me on a liver detox with supplements that made me break out even more!!

Thing is, I'm now uber healthy. I don't eat any refined flour, processed foods, alcohol, meat, preservatives, dairy or caffeine, and I rarely eat sugar (except for honey). I only eat organic foods, including a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables, I exercise regularly and sleep well every night. So, I figured it has to be stress because of the break up and all the change in my life that's happened since.

So, I've decided to attack this problem from the inside and out. I hate any chemcials on or in my body so the regime was something I did not want to do at the start. Now I've started it because I feel I need to fix this problem from the outside as well. I bought a book online called 'clear skin' by Karen Jessett, it's fantastic. She fixed her severe acne through diet alone. Mine is mild so I think the diet will be good for me. So, from tomorrow, I'm starting her diet and I'm into my third week with the regime. I feel like I'm finally onto something here so we'll see how it goes. I hate putting the chemicls on my face twice a day but the chemcials my body is making from anxiety and depression I feel is probably a little worse.

I was on a lot of supplements from my naturopath, chinese herbalist and Ayurvedic practitioner, but I've figured that's too much so I've stopped all of them. Instead, it's diet and the regime alone. For a cleanser and moisturiser I'm using Miessence. My skin is really dry and visible flakey in parts from the benzoyl peroxide so I'm going to try and buy some jojoba oil today.

I'll try and take a photo and post it up so you can see :)