Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elijah

What to expect the 1st time to a dermatologist

Hey all I just had a few questions really about youre experiences with going to derms or what maybe I should be asking them. Before i go into detail ill give a breif summary of my acne. It started when i was 14 the summer before i was to enter freshmen year of high school. I started out with just a few whiteheads nothing major so i really didnt pay attention to it at all. My acne stayed very mild for the next year until i was almost 16. Once I hit 16 i have no idea what happened but it just erupted it seemed over nite from mild acne to severe cystic acne. I didnt know what to do and my family couldn't afford insurance for me or any types of acne products besides the basic over the counter stuff. The best thing that ever worked for me was proactiv. I know alot of ppl seem to hate this stuff but it cleared me up a little bit. Now almost 8 years later im turning 22 soon and its still here. I really thought by this time it would just end before i ran across this site i have never once really heard or seen anyone with bad acne lasting 10+ years. Its not as bad as it once was but still id say moderate/severe. I still get the same 10-15 zits every week when i wake up. A few days ago it got particulary bad i woke up with about 10 new cysts on my face all painful and red:(. And more over due to the heavy amount of csytic acne i had before i have a decent amount of scarring that i know im stuck with forever. Really at this point i realize im stuck with bad scarring but id settle now just to not have extremely oily skin and no more break outs. My skin is really oily basically after i get out of the shower i have maybe 4 hours max before the oil on my skin gets so think its like a film. I just run my finger across my forehead and i get a thick layer of oil its so embarassing ><. Currently im 1 year away from graduation with my B.S in Biochemistry and im just fed up. I cant imagine going another 8 years with acne. Im putting myself through school so just like before i still have no insurance at all but im so desperate ill just take out a little extra loans just to get some insurance and some money to be able to see a dermatologist and be able to afford the products. Now back to my question. Ive been reading alot on this forum about different choices such as acutane and other antibiotics and really acutane seems like its most effective but from what ive read it seems like being as this is really my 1st time to see a derm i doubt he would perscribe that? Id be weary of him just giving me some cream with benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, clindamycin, etc etc that ive already tried. I actually did see a derm once in my life. My mom paid for it but the costs of the products he was trying to get me to buy cost about 600 dollar per month....so it was impossible to follow through on that. Though ive had only 1 experience i would say it was the worst expereince ive had with a dr. He seemed like he just didnt give a fuck about me at all. I told him my history of acne and he just handed me 8 different sample packs of products. he told me to use all 8 on my face at one time and see what irritated me and did not. While im not an expert on skin care somehow that seems like a really STUPID idea. I dont want to go 1 year of doing similar treatments that i have already tried and spent money on that have failed for 8 years. If acutane works the best assuming i could take it after they run w/e tests are needed id really just like to start on that. Any thoughts suggestions comments about treatments would be appreciated:D. Also does anyone happen to have a dr they would recommend in the orange county area! if so id be interested.

Whew that was a long read, I would reccommend Accutane.

But some derms are arent too keen on it, but if you are interested just ask. I kind of "shopped around" for the right derm, and I would ask questions BEFORE I went in, such as "I am interested in Accutane, does the derm prescribe it?"

If you really want accutane, don't be afraid to express that, and tell them you have tried a lot of other things... BUT they might want to try some other medications before hand, but for me those were all a waste of time.

Good luck to you

If it's your first visit then you'll get antibiotics, and if you're very lucky, a topical retinoid. I doubt your consultation will last ten minutes.

It will just depend on your doctor and on your particular skin condition!

My brother and I both visited the derm for the first time in high school. For both of us, he took a look at our face under a bright light and then made his decisions. He said that my brother had "real" acne, while I only had clogged pores caused by super-oily skin. For my brother, he prescribed an antibiotic (not Accutane) and one or two prescription topical creams. For me he prescribed 2 topical products only, and gave me lots of info about makeup, hair products, exfoliation, cleansers, and other misc. things that can affect my skin.

My derm wanted us both to come back every 6 months to check how the current meds were working. Even though our acne cleared up a lot for both of us after the first visit, it still wasn't perfect and each visit the derm would make one or two adjustments to our treatments until he was satisfied. I think that after we found things that worked we only came back once a year, but I don't remember..... I do remember that we eventually figured out that Tazorac plus Clindagel was the best for me. However, I quit going to the derm while I was in grad school a few years ago, when I discovered that the must cheaper 2.5% BP formula worked just as well for me as the prescriptions :) (Now I doubt that it would have worked well when I was younger and first went to the derm, but it works for me now at least!)

PS: using multiple paragraphs and some blank lines would have made your post much easier to read :)

Your doctor will probably ask you some questions...how many new pimples you get per week, things of that nature (I'm a girl so the first thing she asked was if I had gotten off birth control recently).

I went to the dermatologist for the first time 2 years ago when I was 23. I had never really had a problem with pimples but, out of nowhere my face blew up. I was prescribed oral antibiotics (minocyclin) and given Differin gel. It worked. They will tell you it will probably take 6 weeks before your skin improves. My skin was doing pretty good.

I'm 25 now and since about July, my face; specifically my chin and forehead and now even my cheeks...and I never used to get pimples on my cheeks have been exploding. I went to the dermatologist again 4 weeks ago and was prescribed the same medication as the last time. The only problem was that I was old to only take the minocyclin once a day this time and I have seen zero improvement in my skin. My face looks so bad right now that I just had to join some site and vent about it. It's all I can do to not run into the dermatologist's office and beg for more help. I actually called my dermatologist's office last week as I was on the verge of a panic attack and they told me to sit tight...that it takes 6 weeks to see an improvement and that my skin is reacting with the medication and will get worse before it gets better. My follow-up visit is in 2 weeks and it can't come soon enough.

What sucks is that the holidays are coming up and I will be going to Europe...and my face is going to come out like this in all of my pictures...*sigh*. It's amazing how something so trivial can depress you.

Your doctor will probably ask you some questions...how many new pimples you get per week, things of that nature (I'm a girl so the first thing she asked was if I had gotten off birth control recently).

I went to the dermatologist for the first time 2 years ago when I was 23. I had never really had a problem with pimples but, out of nowhere my face blew up. I was prescribed oral antibiotics (minocyclin) and given Differin gel. It worked. They will tell you it will probably take 6 weeks before your skin improves. My skin was doing pretty good.

I'm 25 now and since about July, my face; specifically my chin and forehead and now even my cheeks...and I never used to get pimples on my cheeks have been exploding. I went to the dermatologist again 4 weeks ago and was prescribed the same medication as the last time. The only problem was that I was old to only take the minocyclin once a day this time and I have seen zero improvement in my skin. My face looks so bad right now that I just had to join some site and vent about it. It's all I can do to not run into the dermatologist's office and beg for more help. I actually called my dermatologist's office last week as I was on the verge of a panic attack and they told me to sit tight...that it takes 6 weeks to see an improvement and that my skin is reacting with the medication and will get worse before it gets better. My follow-up visit is in 2 weeks and it can't come soon enough.

What sucks is that the holidays are coming up and I will be going to Europe...and my face is going to come out like this in all of my pictures...*sigh*. It's amazing how something so trivial can depress you.

I wouldnt call acne trivial :( it sucks horribly and has hurt all of our lives. I know how you feel though. Last summer i went to china with my family and it was horrible having to see myself in every pic with my face blown up. Im really more worried about being prescribed the normal topical stuff and antibiotics only to realize that my face is going to end up becoming worse. Finaly after 8 years my face at least doesnt look near as horirble as it once did in HS. Id hate to see it revert back to that after "reacting" with some crap they prescribed me like i hear so often from other people. Then be told its only IB but the IB actually never goes away then im back to square one worse off then when i just didnt see a derm...:(