Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tdot

Can you just ask your doctor

If you suspect your are gluten intolerant.... could you just ask your dotor for a colon biopsy? I had a blood test and it was negative... and I am getting a stool test done... but I just feel like I need MORE proof... y'know... I dont want to have to worry about gluten anymore... I hate it... I'm SO sick of worrying about what I eat... it runs my damn life... anyways.... that as my rant, sorry.

I think the doctor would have to be very suspicious of you having gluten intolerance, too, since that's a more invasive procedure compared to blood draws and stool sampling.

Do you have any of the symptoms of celiac disease? Do you get stomach upset, or cramps, or indigestion? If you don't get any symptoms of celiac, you probably won't be getting a biopsy.

You might not even have gluten intolerance. In fact, you probably don't. I am not sure how long you have tried going gluten free, but if it has been a few months, and you have not seen any improvement, then you should just give up and stop being so hard on yourself.

If you suspect your are gluten intolerant.... could you just ask your dotor for a colon biopsy? I had a blood test and it was negative... and I am getting a stool test done... but I just feel like I need MORE proof... y'know... I dont want to have to worry about gluten anymore... I hate it... I'm SO sick of worrying about what I eat... it runs my damn life... anyways.... that as my rant, sorry.

Ask for a endoscopy before a colon biopsy.

These more invasive tests usually are done when there are very strong hints (including not so normal blood tests) of celiac disease. But if you're not sure you can have a endoscopy to see whether you villi shows any sign of immune response (even signs of past immune response attacking them) If all the other tests turn up negative and the stool test turns up positive you'll know that it is not reliable. In fact according to two recent studies stool tests are the less reliable tests to check a gluten intolerance and among the reasons why, a very important one is that a lot of condition (including a simple indigestion, colitis and constipation) can cause the stool tests to be positive for the antibodies.

Probably not. There is a usual progression of diagnostic tests - going from least invasive to most invasive. Not only is it bad medicine to pass go without collecting $200, most insurers won't authorize it.

Do you have any of the symptoms of celiac disease? Do you get stomach upset, or cramps, or indigestion? If you don't get any symptoms of celiac, you probably won't be getting a biopsy.

You might not even have gluten intolerance. In fact, you probably don't. I am not sure how long you have tried going gluten free, but if it has been a few months, and you have not seen any improvement, then you should just give up and stop being so hard on yourself.

I had ALOT of digestive issues last year at this time... I was always bloated and gasey, but my stool was always normal.... like no diarreah.... But in the past while I have discovered that I thhiiinnnkkk I may have a "nervous digestive system". Any time I get ansty... anxious, upset or if I dont drink lots of water I get this knotted feeling in my lower abdomen and I get gasy and constipated feeling... However if I'm relaxed and not upset...and I take my probiotics every day... I'm usually really fine... like I'm extremely regular, I go the same time almost on the dot every weekday in the morning... different times on the weekends but that's because I wake up later. SOooo I guess my nervous stomach is what makes me nervous hahaha... I dont know. Maybe I dont have gluten intolerance... but I relaly try to avoid it anyway... sometimes there's no getting around it but when I do eat it... I dont get and upset stomach or anything... Maybe I'm just being paranoid because of all the hype guys... I'm just really fristrated with my skin... it only gets so far y'know? It's never 100% clear and I keep feeling like there is something in my way... I do EVERYTHING right. I avoid dairy all the time, I eat organic and eat WELL... lots of veggies, whole grains (try to avoid gluten), nuts a seeds and some meat. UGH who knows..... it's just frustrating... as you all know haha. thanks for the input and advice guys :).

They don't do biopsies for gluten intolerance.

Generally gluten intolerance/sensitivity is actually diagnosed through dietary challenge. If you cut out all gluten from your diet and your digestion or other symptoms significantly improve, you are gluten intolerant/sensitive.

You could get tested for celiac disease though, which is like a really extreme version of gluten intolerance/sensitivity.

If you want to, tell your doctor you have digestion problems a lot when you eat gluten and then ask to get tested for celiac disease. They should give you a blood test first and then possibly an intestinal biopsy.

However, for these tests to be accurate, you must be eating gluten every day (1 slice of bread at every meal should do it) for 1-3 months beforehand.