Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sunshinedaydream

Acne and Fibromyalgia?

I am not sure if this is the right forum to post this in- I guess my thought was that fibromyalgia begins to show up in adulthood so it would be more relevant to adult acne (moderators feel free to move it if this is the wrong forum).

Anyway, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a connection between acne and fibromyalgia. Lately I have been feeling pretty low, both mentally and physically and am at the point now where the joint pain and fatigue are pretty bad, so I have a doctor's appointment in a few days. I was doing some reading about my symptoms and have run across several articles about fibromyalgia (which seems to describe EXACTLY what I have been feeling like) and a lot of the articles mention "dermatological disorders" but do not really specify what these are (rashes, rosacea, exczema?). I guess I was wondering if maybe there was some connection between my acne and something like fibromyalgia. Obviosuly this is just something I am just reading about, it doesn't mean I actually have it, although it would be a relief to have an actual explanation for the way I have been feeling.

Has anyone heard anything about this before? Any acne sufferers with fibromyalgia out there?

I am not sure if this is the right forum to post this in- I guess my thought was that fibromyalgia begins to show up in adulthood so it would be more relevant to adult acne (moderators feel free to move it if this is the wrong forum).

Anyway, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a connection between acne and fibromyalgia. Lately I have been feeling pretty low, both mentally and physically and am at the point now where the joint pain and fatigue are pretty bad, so I have a doctor's appointment in a few days. I was doing some reading about my symptoms and have run across several articles about fibromyalgia (which seems to describe EXACTLY what I have been feeling like) and a lot of the articles mention "dermatological disorders" but do not really specify what these are (rashes, rosacea, exczema?). I guess I was wondering if maybe there was some connection between my acne and something like fibromyalgia. Obviosuly this is just something I am just reading about, it doesn't mean I actually have it, although it would be a relief to have an actual explanation for the way I have been feeling.

Has anyone heard anything about this before? Any acne sufferers with fibromyalgia out there?

I think there is probably a connection, but I don't know of any research to support that "hunch". They are both inflammatory diseases of sorts and I suspect a lot of people whose acne continues into adulthood end up with some form of fibromyalgia, rhuematism, arthritis, etc. However, like I said, I am not aware of any firm research on the topic. Maybe someone else will know of some.

For fibromyalgia you might consider trying SAM-e. It is over the counter in the USA (I think it is Rx in Canada). It is a supplement that you can get at Walgreens, etc. Start with 200 mg per day and you can go up from there. Most people take 400 mg per day. It is good for depression, joint pain and has some positive benefits for liver function. The only down side is that you must also take a B vitamin complex with it. The body transforms it into homocystine (sp?) that can be harmful to your heart. However, B vitamins transform it back into SAM-e so you don't get high homocystine levels if you take B vitamins daily.

You will notice a difference within a week or two if it is working. It is expensive (usually about a $1 per day), but you can usually find deals such as Walgreens will often have a Buy one, Get One Free deal.

You can not take it if you have Bi-polar disorder since it can trigger a manic episode (just like many antidepressants). It has been shown to be just as effective in fighting depression as many Rx medicines in numerous clinical studies. I think there is another major study underway as well.

Good luck,

-Cram

I was diagnosed with FMS when I was about 11. The acne has been a part of my life for so long that I can't even remember when it started. I'd guess around the same time. I also started getting my period at 11 too, so I pretty much have this jumbled mess of possible suspects in my acne case. I have never heard or read that FMS could be linked to acne but I wouldn't doubt that it could aggrivate it and cause break outs with all the stress, anxiety, etc.

I have fibro and I have more acne now then I ever had as a teen. I had, well NO acne as a teen.

I have a super hard time with it now and get them around my chin, nose and one cheek.

It did get better when I was on my supplement routine but man I got sick of taking 30 plus pills a day.

I have M.E (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) often twinned with FMS - joint pains, exhaustion, flu-like symptoms etc. I've never heard of a connection with that and acne, other than the reduced efficiency of the immune system.

I've had acne since age 12 and M.E since age 16.

Hope you soon feel better.

P .acne can disguise its surface antigens in order to bypass your humoral immune system (i.e., your peripheral blood antibodies). Its target is often the CNS. It can be intracellular and take up residence in the CNS. That alone suffices to cause all the symptoms of FMS. Don't take my word. Look up articles by Dr. Sam Donta. He runs the Lyme disease clinic at Boston Medical Center.

P. acne can disguise its surface antigens in order to bypass your humoral immune system (i.e.,your peripheral blood antibodies) and take up intracellular residence in your CNS (i.e., your brain and spinal chord). That alone suffices to generate most of the symptoms of FMS. It's not fatal, just painfull. A long long course of minocycline or doxycycline can get rid of it, but it can always return, since P. acne is a common skin commensal. Don't take my word. Google articles by Dr. Sam Donta. He runs the Lyme disease clinic at Boston Medical Center. He doesn't mention all possible pathogens that can invade the CNS, but use your common sense. Where there's smoke, there's fire.