Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Elizabethc07

hyperpigmentation? (red marks)

hi, i've been seeing these pictures of people where they have a lot of acne but when it goes away, there's barely any red marks left behind. whenever i get a pimple, the mark seems to last longer than the pimple itself. does anyone know what i should do? i'm on obagi skin clenziderm right now and i hope it will help...

Yes, these red marks are frustrating. Red marks effect people in different ways, some people are lucky and don't have red marks that linger. I have the same problem as you, the red mark generally lasts longer than the pimple itself. Theres really not too much you can do, sometimes it can take up to 2 years to completely fade. However, most cases fade within 12 weeks. Some things you can do to speed up the process would be to add a chemical exfoliant in such as an AHA of SA. 8-12% glicolic acid works best. Maybe you can go to your derm and they will give you a specific prduct? However neutrogena has an acne mark fading peel that works pretty well or you could get the Alpha Hydrox enhanced lotion. It is suppose to work pretty well as well.

They do disappear eventually. I had a deep purple mark from a spot which left about 8 weeks ago and it's only just started to noticeably fade, the other red marks are still really visible. To be honest I think it's best to avoid applying anything to the red marks and just be thankful that they are only marks and not spots.

My skin is very pale & prone to scarring badly [and not just on my face] Mine are taking ages to heal and like you say, they last longer than the actual spot themselves.

At the moment, it is these red marks that are causing me more upset than the acne!