Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kloml88

My experiences with Accutane

So I decided to go ahead and do a log...I figure it could help with the questions I may have etc. Well, I am a 19 year old female who just started accutane (technically claravis). I was one of those people that rarely got more than two or three small pimples....until about three months ago that is. I guess it all started with my OB/GYN putting me on birth control for my cramps...she put me on yaz and I was optimistic. However, within two weeks of taking this tiny little death pill I was having mood swings and migranes every day; the doc quickly took me off. Well, the acne started after that. It just progressively got worse and worse. I had always used proactiv solution (the three step) and it stopped working (weird because my skin was GREAT over the summer and even before). Anyway, it got worse and worse, I have an olive skin tone and so not only was I getting a TON of acne, but when it did happen to go away, I had a ugly dark red/brown splotch of hyper pigmentation to "prove" that I had a pimple there. Long story short 3 antibiotics, and multiple topicals later (remember this was in the process of only 3 short months) and my derm said the only thing that would work was accutane. I cried when he told me. I had never had acne before, and in the process of 3 months I was prescribed the biggest gun in the arsenal basically. He is only doing it because the acne is SO deep that the hyperpigmentation is not going away. So yea, I am lovely...zits and splotchy redness all over my cheeks and chin. I kinda look like I was beaten (the bruising look of the hyperpigmentation) and also have really bad acne...its UBER attractive. Anyway, so I am on day three accutane...so far some dryness...already. The acne I have now seems to be coming to a head...really hard not to pick at it. I am washing with cetaphil and moisturizing with cetaphil. I am kinda scared. My derm put me on 60 mg/day and I weigh 127 lbs....I am worried that my Initial breakout is going to be horrendous. I also have not seen my boyfriend since this all started (we go to different colleges 7 hrs away and decided to wait till T-giving) so i am really nervous about seeing him...I really look different than i did. Anyway, I have really enjoyed reading the other logs...it seems so helpful and encouraging. Later.

Alrighty, so day 4 accutane (claravis). No real change except that my skin is drying and kinda itchy...using only light layer of cetaphil lotion to keep flaking to a minimum and then my mineral makeup. I did not think I would feel anything this fast so the dryish skin and eyes kinda weird me out...but its ok so far. I am still trying to be positive, my doctor told me to go ahead and stay on bactrim (his antibiotic of choice) for another 5 or so days to help with any inflamation/IB. I am really hoping that this goes smoothly! I suppose we shall see.

Day 5! No realy change except that my face is itchy because it is getting dry. The dryness is not too bad however so that is a plus. I think I have gotten some more spots along my jawline...these are fairly small but HURT pretty badly. The areas that I have the most acne are starting to get dry and flaky....a good thing?? I have noticed less oil, so I am less shiny throughout the day which is a plus. I hope that things continue to go smoothly!

So it is day 6...dry scabby portions of skin (where LOTS of acne were) I just want to pick at the scabs...but will refrain. Has anyone else experienced tingly numbness in the lips when on accutane? It is so bizarre, because I am using lots of chapstick to avoid chapping and dryness, but they are feeling kind of swollen, numb, and tingly. Other than that my skin is itchy and dry at times, but not unbearable, also there are SOME new spots but not horrible. Overall I am happy so far. :)

I've also had the tingling in my lips & also the feeling that they were swelling up, which they weren't. I've also had a burning feel in my lips, just could be the reaction to my lip ointment that I was using. But I've haven't felt the tingle in my lips for awhile now and I'm on day 30 with Accutane...w00T! I wish you all the luck with your journey with Claravis! :dance:

Thanks! I wish you luck as well. I am now on day 7!! Time really does fly. Anywho, no real change...I think I have some more small spots along my jaw line, but it seems like one clears up and another comes up somewhere else, so the total count may be staying the same. I have two regions of "clusters" on my cheeks that are STILL in that dry, hard, scabby stage. I want to pick at them because I feel like once the dead skin is torn up it will be smoother...however, due to potential scarring i will not...I hope. Anyone know how long the "scabby" stage lasts before it peels off naturally?

I bet once my skin starts to really break out or peel I'll want to do something about it too.

Wow day 7! Are you going to post progress pics?

I bet once my skin starts to really break out or peel I'll want to do something about it too.

Wow day 7! Are you going to post progress pics?

Ok, so day 8. Things not too terrably bad right now. Stuff is still drying out and there is some more flaking going on in the morning, but this seems like it is only happening where I have my "clusters" of acne on my cheeks. It is annoying because I can tell that it is a scab, and well, I am the sort who waits until the scab is mostly healed and then yanks it up. I shall resist though because I can already tell that my skin is more tender since starting the claravis. My lips still feel really weird. They are soft to the touch, but they have this numbish feeling from the inside. Overall, areas of my skin are looking better...red mards STARTING to fade where there are no acne lesions. The clusters on my cheeks just taking a long time because, although they are small, they were deep nodule type acne. My face at first glance just looks rough, with little bumps on the apples of my cheeks...not the look I always wished for, but I am ok with it because I feel like I am at least seeing SOME sort of improvement. My roomate said she was surprised at how soon things started to get a bit better, so that was nice. Still going for optimism ;)

Alrighty, so day 4 accutane (claravis). No real change except that my skin is drying and kinda itchy...using only light layer of cetaphil lotion to keep flaking to a minimum and then my mineral makeup. I did not think I would feel anything this fast so the dryish skin and eyes kinda weird me out...but its ok so far. I am still trying to be positive, my doctor told me to go ahead and stay on bactrim (his antibiotic of choice) for another 5 or so days to help with any inflamation/IB. I am really hoping that this goes smoothly! I suppose we shall see.

Sure! I am taking Sulfamethazone/Trimethoprim 800/160 which is generic for Barctrim DS tabs and I take two a day. I will only be taking them for another 5 days or so though (unless my doc prescribes me more).

I would, but I am seriously tech. challanged. I don't own a digital camera or web cam etc. Description is the best I can do lol.

Day 9! I am feeling a bit dryer today, but I am really ok with that as I hate feeling oily. I still have some really tiny spots coming up here and there but they are really scattered and seem to heal quickly. I am getting SO annoyed by the clusters on my cheeks! It is hard to say if I would rather have 1 big one there or the bunch of little ones in one centralized location...hmm... They ARE healing and drying out...it is just taking a long time. The reason I dislike them there is that they have been there for a LONG time. I am afraid that once they do (FINALLY) go away I will have those ice pick scars all in one spot (not so cute). Oh well. I will say though that the cluster is slowly shrinking. The ones on the farthest edge are actually starting to flatten out and the redness has gone so WOOT! In other side effect news, I have noticed that my hair is dryer than usual, but I already use a back to basics moisture balance shampoo and conditioner so I dont anticipate a huge problem (at least not any different from normal winter dryness). I find myself thirstier than normal, but I always tried to drink lots of water anyway so it is not a big deal. My lips are soft on the outside, tingly sometimes on the inside and mostly just dry in the corners; I really like NeoStrata Lip conditioner and Aveeno lip care products alot for that. Does anyone know more about using antibiotics while on accutane? My doc said it would not hurt anything (the bactrim not tetracyclines which are a big no no), but I have never heard of people of people saying that they were on it for a long time while on accutane. Doc was really vague about how long to stay on so I figure I will just finish the prescription he gave me. any help would be appreciated!

Day 10! Well...still dry and scabby/flakey in the spots with the most acne, but i figure this is a good thing...all that junk is drying out! Hopefully soon it will flatten back to the way my skin USED to be! :) I have little spots coming up here and there...not big...not really a big deal to me right now as I just want the really obvious concentrated areas to clear. I seem to be getting more spots on my forehead (which was relatively clear before accutane) but they are small and as I said i am not worried about those. I do still do a very slight spot treatment with BP if I dont feel too dry and a new one comes up, partly out of habit and partly because it has not hurt anything. Other than that the side effects really are not that bad. I feel tired more often, but I am uber busy so it may or may not be the accutane. I know I am only on day 10 but so far I am pretty darn happy with the stuff...I keep praying for this to be the extent of my IB, and with the antibiotic perhaps it will be...I have not felt a major breakout coming on so :pray: ! I know everyone reacts to accutane differently and I am keeping a realisic yet positive outlook (if that makes any sense lol)

Day 11. Same as yesterday, but flaking spots on skin! I can see the cracks in the dry skin when I smile. Does anyone know what the story is with mild exfoliation on accutane? I have dry flaking skin and am I allowed to do anything about the flakes?

Day 11. Same as yesterday, but flaking spots on skin! I can see the cracks in the dry skin when I smile. Does anyone know what the story is with mild exfoliation on accutane? I have dry flaking skin and am I allowed to do anything about the flakes?

So I decided to go ahead and do a log...I figure it could help with the questions I may have etc. Well, I am a 19 year old female who just started accutane (technically claravis). I was one of those people that rarely got more than two or three small pimples....until about three months ago that is. I guess it all started with my OB/GYN putting me on birth control for my cramps...she put me on yaz and I was optimistic. However, within two weeks of taking this tiny little death pill I was having mood swings and migranes every day; the doc quickly took me off. Well, the acne started after that. It just progressively got worse and worse. I had always used proactiv solution (the three step) and it stopped working (weird because my skin was GREAT over the summer and even before). Anyway, it got worse and worse, I have an olive skin tone and so not only was I getting a TON of acne, but when it did happen to go away, I had a ugly dark red/brown splotch of hyper pigmentation to "prove" that I had a pimple there. Long story short 3 antibiotics, and multiple topicals later (remember this was in the process of only 3 short months) and my derm said the only thing that would work was accutane. I cried when he told me. I had never had acne before, and in the process of 3 months I was prescribed the biggest gun in the arsenal basically. He is only doing it because the acne is SO deep that the hyperpigmentation is not going away. So yea, I am lovely...zits and splotchy redness all over my cheeks and chin. I kinda look like I was beaten (the bruising look of the hyperpigmentation) and also have really bad acne...its UBER attractive. Anyway, so I am on day three accutane...so far some dryness...already. The acne I have now seems to be coming to a head...really hard not to pick at it. I am washing with cetaphil and moisturizing with cetaphil. I am kinda scared. My derm put me on 60 mg/day and I weigh 127 lbs....I am worried that my Initial breakout is going to be horrendous. I also have not seen my boyfriend since this all started (we go to different colleges 7 hrs away and decided to wait till T-giving) so i am really nervous about seeing him...I really look different than i did. Anyway, I have really enjoyed reading the other logs...it seems so helpful and encouraging. Later.

cityofangels: Thanks for the response, I agree with you...its just hard to see that dry dead skin there and not do anything about it lol

Well it is now day 12 and no real change. I wish the ones on my cheeks would hurry up and just die already! I know I am getting impatient...I just want those specific ones to heal because I am concerned about possible scarring once they are gone and I want to know once and for all. Lips feel better...switched to aveeno intense relief medicated therapy for lips and now they feel almost normal...but actually softer because I use that AND a lip conditioner from NeoStrata that my derm suggested (you can buy it online). Anywho, I may not be updating for a couple of days...going home for Thanksgiving. Happy early Thanksgiving!

I can't believe it is already day 19...which is a really good thing considering that I want this to go a quickly as possible! Well, I am MUCH less oily than I was, I hardly get shiny at all during the day. My hair is notably drier, but it does not bother me too much and I have a good conditioner. My skin on my body is not a problem, but I do moisturize two times a day to avoid dry itchy skin (I am used to doing this in the winter anyway). My face...well...I am not sure. I love not being shiny, and the large clusters on my cheeks have FINALLY started to go away, only a few left now in each "area" were they all were. However, I started my period today so of course I have been slightly worse the last few days. I am good with this though because the bumps (though widespread and many) are very small and pretty unnoticeable. I do have a new small cluster on my right temple that is super annoying though. I hope that things just continue to get better; I would not say that I have gotten worse since starting...just no improvement to small improvement and now I think I look decent in makeup again :)! Can NOT wait until the hyperpigmentation clears though!!!! My face is SO blotchy that I cannot bear to go without concealer! I think it is supposed to take at least 6 weeks for hyperpigmentation to clear but I cannot remember...

Day 21. Today was pretty much like yesterday and the day before. I am slightly dry and slightly itchy on my face, and the big spots on my cheeks are still going away (YAY!!) I have quite a few very little spots all over the right side of my face that started a couple of days ago, but this is hormonal so hopefully it goes away with my cycle. I am less oily/shiny which I really like, and the dryness is not all that bad...just a very light layer of cetaphil moisturizer and I am good to go as far as moisturizing goes. Super busy with finals prep. so i will continue to update as I can :) hope everyone is doing great!

I hope you finals are going good. Mine have so far.

Sounds like you are doing good acne wise. :D What kind of conditioner do you use?

I know I have not posted in a while... Finals are hell. Anywho, I am on day 37, and well, it feels like it has been longer lol. My acne is clearing quite a lot, but there are STILL some stubborn lumps on my cheeks that feel like they will never go away. My forehead is clear, and so is my chin...just those dang small lumps on my cheeks!. I noticed some ice-pick scars...this made me really really sad :( but oh well, no sense in being upset over it, it does not change anything. Other than that I am noticing that my complexion just kinda looks rough in general...perhaps from the dryness? I am REALLY hoping that it smooths out eventually though! Red marks STARTING to fade, but man I wish that would go faster...it is going REALLY slowly. Side effects: slightly dryer skin, but in the winter I always deal with this, so not a biggie. Contacts get notably more painful earlier in the evening (used to be able to wear them till like one in the morning without a problem). Lips, dry, but chapstick solves that pretty well. I went to the derm for my one month, and my tryglicerides are going up...they like doubled...he says I have to change my diet etc. if I want to stay on the drug and this scares me a lot...

Jessikak: Finals do suck, but I am done monday!! Hope you did splendidly :) I use Back to Basics Pomegranite Moisture Conditioner and shampoo, it works well and smells really good :) Hope everything is good with you!