Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
superMachi

Accutane Question

What would accutane do to a person who has no acne?

What can accutane do to a person with only blackheads and oily skin?

(What would be the effects / side-effects of each?)

I know its not realistic a derm would prescribe tane for these conditions, but supposedly...

What would accutane do to a person who has no acne?

What can accutane do to a person with only blackheads and oily skin?

(What would be the effects / side-effects of each?)

I know its not realistic a derm would prescribe tane for these conditions, but supposedly...

Accutane will rid you of oiliness and blackheads for sure. Makes pores super clean and tight. I'm on month 7 of low dose Accutane - had mild acne. Hope the the clear skin continues when I end treatment next month.

Cheers.

You have raised a very good question. I am a big fan of accutane but it is an extremely powerful medication that CAN not will have some fairly serious side effects. I think of it is the big gun, last ditch weapon, in traditional medicine's arsenal of acne fighting drugs and as such should be prescribed only for the most stubborn and extreme cases.

In my opinion accutane is best left to the acute sufferer of the affliction. There are any number of regimens, over the counter preparations and prescription medicines which can help milder forms of acne including comedomes without any kind of lesions.

For excessive comedomes, I am an strong advocate of acne surgery. Find an aesthetician or derm who does comedome extraction safely and without permanent marks or scarring and add this to your skin care regimen. You may be very pleased with the results.

All the best,

Joe Zit

Hey joe i have never heard of comedome extraction . My face does have an excess amount of comedomes, I go to a new dema in 2 weeks so i think i will ask about that. I am also demanding to be put on accutane...it seems to work for everyone. Nothing seems to get rid of all my black heads found on my nose, cheeks, and forhead.

Accutane didn't solve my numerous, deep rooted blackheads - only the superficial ones. You should ask for a skin gel, these will probably have a greater effect on your blackheads than anything.

yup I agree I've mild acne too, just couple of lil pimples I knew that derms wont prescribe it for me so I stole my brother's, coulple of weeks and I got a killer face and a shiny skin.

My acne was mild and I did accutane. Mostly for oily skin. Papular-pustular mild-moderate acne. And sebaceous filaments and blackheads on nose and t-zone.

I wasn't as aware of things as I am now when I first when on tane. So I let him give me a standard prescription like I was a cystic acne patient: 40 mg, then 60mg, then 80 mg, then 120 mg. This was way overkill. And I paid for it with severe dry skin, eczema, crusting, peeling palms, itching, dry eyes, etc. Basically all the side effects.

I immediately cut my dose when I experienced these side effects. Then I stopped completely after only a few months. The short intense course stopped most of my acne and oil problems, but gave me prolonged eczema.

Only now, over a year later is my skin almost back to normal where I can take a hot shower without getting a rash! But it was worth it. If I could go back I would have done a MUCH lower dose.

So that is my advice to anyone who does accutane without having severe acne. Do a low dose course (10 mg or less).

When I talked it over with my derm he said all I would have had to do was ask! He confided to me that he has acne problems even in his 30s. He treats it periodically with a short low dose course of Accutane! And his skin is perfect!

He said he just takes enough until the acne goes away. Then stops so he doesn't get side effects. He said he usually gets remission of acne for several months that way. But he is a derm and has the convenience of being able to pop a low dose Accutane pill at the first sign of acne.

I saw him again months after that and he had two pin prick pimples on his forehead. I asked and he said he just got em that week and immediately started low dose course. I saw him next month, he was off tane again and skin was perfect again.

I'm going to the dermatologist in a few weeks. I've recently moved and it seems the hard water at my apartment has taken its toll on my face. I don't have a single blemish anywhere else, only on my temples and cheeks. I'm thinking about asking if Accutane can be prescribed, but I've heard horror stories about how it can make you severly depressed and moody. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm going to the dermatologist in a few weeks. I've recently moved and it seems the hard water at my apartment has taken its toll on my face. I don't have a single blemish anywhere else, only on my temples and cheeks. I'm thinking about asking if Accutane can be prescribed, but I've heard horror stories about how it can make you severly depressed and moody. Has anyone else experienced this?

Everyone reacts differently to Accutane. Don't assume that you will have severe side effects; most people don't. Talk to your derm and give it some thought.

I took Accutane for a month at relatively high dose (40mg then 40mg every other day). Like MrMobile, it stopped my oil completely and got rid of all the blackheads on my nose and other small, superficial ones. It didn't do anything for my deep-rooted blackheads & bumps on my cheeks that have been there forever. I have since stopped taking accutane and am using BHA plus going to an esthician to have extractions done.

If your going to take accutane, make sure its a very low dose - 10mg a day or every other day would be a good start. If all your looking for is to take care of small blackheads and get rid of your oil, that should probably be sufficient. Higher doses of accutane come with too many potential side effects and should be reserved for people with really bad, inflammatory acne.