Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Willow68

Please help me

This is my first post, but I have been reading messages. I hate my skin. I have scars, large pores and feel nearly suicidal. I have used a skin roller .1mm, but it really can't help my scars much, I went ahead today and needled. Can anyone please tell me how I'm suppose to treat the scars while they heal? I have CP's, Retin A and Emu oil. My face looks so bad all I can do is cry. I have no money for proffesional precedures, this was out of sheer desperation. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Willow.

Willow68 said:

My advice is don't use anything irritating. Just moisturizer and aloe should be ok.

I have had good luck with those silicone scar patches at the pharmacy. Start with a really clean face and leave it on there! Sometimes when I pull them off white heads and pools of oil have formed where it withdrew the debris out of the skin. Band aids work ok but those kind that are silicone work the best. There are some that when you put them on you can barely see them on your skin.

D

Are there still people needling on this forum? I hope to god I'm not making my scars worse. I feel really hopeless and helpless. I hope I will get some more responses. I need to hear from others who are in the same boat, so to speak.

I have had good luck with those silicone scar patches at the pharmacy. Start with a really clean face and leave it on there! Sometimes when I pull them off white heads and pools of oil have formed where it withdrew the debris out of the skin. Band aids work ok but those kind that are silicone work the best. There are some that when you put them on you can barely see them on your skin.

D

Aren't those for raised scars though? I have depressed scars.

Please do a search for a thread titled "The truth about needling". There is a DETAILED protocol for aftercare. You need to use aquafor for the first 48 hours, if my memory serves. Use a gentle cleanser after that, or if that's too irritating, cider vinegar diluted with water (50/50). I'd provide a link for you, but I'm computer illiterate when it comes to that stuff. FInd that thread! It will take the guesswork out of it for you. The poster of the protocol is named "Shyana", although she was not the original poster of the thread I mentioned. Good luck!

ChrissyC said:
Please do a search for a thread titled "The truth about needling". There is a DETAILED protocol for aftercare. You need to use aquafor for the first 48 hours, if my memory serves. Use a gentle cleanser after that, or if that's too irritating, cider vinegar diluted with water (50/50). I'd provide a link for you, but I'm computer illiterate when it comes to that stuff. FInd that thread! It will take the guesswork out of it for you. The poster of the protocol is named "Shyana", although she was not the original poster of the thread I mentioned. Good luck!

I appreciate the post, unfortuantely if I use some of the ingredients listed on that post, I'll breakout like crazy :rolleyes:

I find the needling posts confusing. There are not many updates either. Many of them are from last year. I'm just hoping people had success with needling. If any one is still self needling, please post, I'd like to hear your experiences, good..or bad.

This scarring as taken a toll on my emotionally, my self esteem is zero. I really am suicidal, I find everday a painful day. I don't think people realize how much scarring affects a person.

what kind of scars do you have and where are they located?

retin-a is said to work on discoloration and mild scarring. i've used it for a bit over 2 1/2 months and can't see any real difference- yet. i've found that emu oil breaks me out and doesn't work so toss that shit out. bio-oil is also garbage.

if you've just self needled i would suggest using aloe vera to help heal the area and prevent infection. make sure you use a good quality brand that is at least 99% aloe with no or little alcohol. a fresh aloe plant is the best if you can find one.

i do feel your pain and understand completely how scarring takes its toll on a person. you are not alone and just know, that we all are more than our skin.

i've used it for a bit over 2 1/2 months and can't see any real difference- yet.

Retin-A takes at least a year to do it's business...

Willow,

I have been where you are for a long time. I'm 32, I don't know how old you are, but I really understand exactly how you're feeling right now.

Please don't do anything else to your skin. I have caused most of the damage on my skin -- which is serious -- by doing desperate things to get rid of the marks I had. I did make it worse -- much, much worse. I'm not saying you have done this, I don't know, but you need to stop now, trust me. Only because you are in a desperate state and therefore can easily overdo it. There are people who have success with needling, but it's a dangerous thing to do so you need to be very careful.

Now please, get some aloe vera -- a fresh leaf if you can -- and put it on the scars and keep the area clean. That is VERY important. I don't know if you have to wear make-up but try not to if you can. And wash it off as soon as you can.

If you can't get aloe vera, treat the wounded areas with whatever you have for first aid, clean them and disinfect them and put neosporin on like any other cut. You just don't want them to become infected. Let them heal completely, don't pick at them at all.

Please take a deep breath and know that there really are treatments and answers out there and people who can help you. You're not alone, and it will get better. Write back and let us know how you're doing.

what kind of scars do you have and where are they located?

retin-a is said to work on discoloration and mild scarring. i've used it for a bit over 2 1/2 months and can't see any real difference- yet. i've found that emu oil breaks me out and doesn't work so toss that shit out. bio-oil is also garbage.

if you've just self needled i would suggest using aloe vera to help heal the area and prevent infection. make sure you use a good quality brand that is at least 99% aloe with no or little alcohol. a fresh aloe plant is the best if you can find one.

i do feel your pain and understand completely how scarring takes its toll on a person. you are not alone and just know, that we all are more than our skin.

I have different types of scars, they are all terrible. It is definately not mild. I've used emu for a long tome, it doesn't cause me problems. I scar very easily, I get a blemish, it'll leave a scar. I have RA gel .25% I just got it a month ago and haven't used it much yet, it's makes me very flaky. I know we are more then our skin, I wish we didn't live in such a looks oriented society.

Willow,

I have been where you are for a long time. I'm 32, I don't know how old you are, but I really understand exactly how you're feeling right now.

Please don't do anything else to your skin. I have caused most of the damage on my skin -- which is serious -- by doing desperate things to get rid of the marks I had. I did make it worse -- much, much worse. I'm not saying you have done this, I don't know, but you need to stop now, trust me. Only because you are in a desperate state and therefore can easily overdo it. There are people who have success with needling, but it's a dangerous thing to do so you need to be very careful.

Now please, get some aloe vera -- a fresh leaf if you can -- and put it on the scars and keep the area clean. That is VERY important. I don't know if you have to wear make-up but try not to if you can. And wash it off as soon as you can.

If you can't get aloe vera, treat the wounded areas with whatever you have for first aid, clean them and disinfect them and put neosporin on like any other cut. You just don't want them to become infected. Let them heal completely, don't pick at them at all.

Please take a deep breath and know that there really are treatments and answers out there and people who can help you. You're not alone, and it will get better. Write back and let us know how you're doing.

Sierralita, Thanks for caring. I lied down and went to sleep, sometimes that's all I feel like doing.

I'm in my 30's as well, I'm older then you. I use to have lovely skin in my 20's. It's only been the last 5 years that I've been getting horrible scarring.

I can't leave my skin alone, if I do I know I won't be able to live with myself. Even with the needling it looks better because of swelling. I had a nasty sunburn years ago and ended up in the hospital. I believe that's why my skin scars easily, so many years later, from lack of collagen.

Can you tell me a little about your skin? I've looked at some photos on the gallery, and some people have only mild scars. I wish that were my case. I know I am not alone in having scars, but a person does feel very alone nevertheless. I can't afford treatments like so many people on this forum, I'm ashamed to say I'm jealous of the ones that are getting treatment.

Willow,

Sierralita, Thanks for caring. I lied down and went to sleep, sometimes that's all I feel like doing.

I'm in my 30's as well, I'm older then you. I use to have lovely skin in my 20's. It's only been the last 5 years that I've been getting horrible scarring.

I can't leave my skin alone, if I do I know I won't be able to live with myself. Even with the needling it looks better because of swelling. I had a nasty sunburn years ago and ended up in the hospital. I believe that's why my skin scars easily, so many years later, from lack of collagen.

Can you tell me a little about your skin? I've looked at some photos on the gallery, and some people have only mild scars. I wish that were my case. I know I am not alone in having scars, but a person does feel very alone nevertheless. I can't afford treatments like so many people on this forum, I'm ashamed to say I'm jealous of the ones that are getting treatment.

Hi Willow,

My skin has been the site of many epic battles and has the scars to prove it. I've absolutely been through hell with it. I'm otherwise extremely attractive, in fact I might have been able to model at one point in my life, but in some ways this has made the whole scar thing even worse. I think people look at me a lot for two reasons, they think I'm attractive and then they think . . . wow, I wonder what happened to her skin? It's really weird to feel really pretty and really ugly at the same time, it makes you crazy.

But I got rid of my acne scars years ago only to develop hypertrophic scars later. These are just lovely. Like burn scars. Extremely noticeable, very jarring. I've lived with them for six years now and tried everything to get rid of them. It's only in the past six months I've hit on a treatment for them, but it isn't perfect, and I still am struggling with it. It has side effects. One is that the place where the scars were is now very thin, the skin is very thin and lacking collagen. One of the scars is still raised and I need another treatment or two, which is invasive and has been dominating my life for half a year.

I really hit bottom recently because of the return of this one scar. I p osted about that on this site. I was truly about to take a bottle of pills. So believe me, I've been as low as you can get with this and I'm just now pulling myself out of that dark place, because I REFUSE to let this destroy my life to this effect.

I would write more but I have to go pick up a friend from the bus stop. Hang in there. We'll find a treatment for you. But please don't do anything that's going to cause more scarring, your skin cannot regenerate the way it did when you were 16.

Hi Willow,

My skin has been the site of many epic battles and has the scars to prove it. I've absolutely been through hell with it. I'm otherwise extremely attractive, in fact I might have been able to model at one point in my life, but in some ways this has made the whole scar thing even worse. I think people look at me a lot for two reasons, they think I'm attractive and then they think . . . wow, I wonder what happened to her skin? It's really weird to feel really pretty and really ugly at the same time, it makes you crazy.

But I got rid of my acne scars years ago only to develop hypertrophic scars later. These are just lovely. Like burn scars. Extremely noticeable, very jarring. I've lived with them for six years now and tried everything to get rid of them. It's only in the past six months I've hit on a treatment for them, but it isn't perfect, and I still am struggling with it. It has side effects. One is that the place where the scars were is now very thin, the skin is very thin and lacking collagen. One of the scars is still raised and I need another treatment or two, which is invasive and has been dominating my life for half a year.

I really hit bottom recently because of the return of this one scar. I p osted about that on this site. I was truly about to take a bottle of pills. So believe me, I've been as low as you can get with this and I'm just now pulling myself out of that dark place, because I REFUSE to let this destroy my life to this effect.

I would write more but I have to go pick up a friend from the bus stop. Hang in there. We'll find a treatment for you. But please don't do anything that's going to cause more scarring, your skin cannot regenerate the way it did when you were 16.

You are so lucky to have gotton help for your scars. I truly envy you. I haven't been out of my home in 4 days, mostly sleeping. Just feel like I'm in a black hole, and I know if my skin was nice again, everything would be okay. That sounds silly, but it's true.

Hi Willow68, I'm sorry that you're feeling so bad. Retin-A helps me feel a little bit better about my scarring while I search for other options to improve it. You said you use a .1mm dermaroller, would you mind telling me where you purchased it? Thanks!

sierralita -- I so know what you mean about feeling pretty and feeling ugly at the same time. People are always complimenting my looks, but I wonder if they're thinking "it's too bad that you have bad skin".

Hi Willow,

I once feel the same as you too.

Just wanna sleep and not face the world.

But I tell myself there is always hope.

Do not feel envious about not having the money for

laser treatment. Cos, I have been there and done it. Not much help.

From my experience,

most of the treatment that actually help with scar are cheap and

can be done by yourself like needling and tca cross.

You just need patient.

It is alright to feel down once in a while.

But at the end of the day, just remember to pick yourself up.

sierralita -- I so know what you mean about feeling pretty and feeling ugly at the same time. People are always complimenting my looks, but I wonder if they're thinking "it's too bad that you have bad skin".

Yeah, I'm sure that's what they're all thinking. I know people talk about it when I'm not around. It kills my pride, my ego, but I'm using that to make myself stronger and more compassionate. Lately I've really been wanting to help people who are suffering like I've suffered with this.

Willow, I have had help, and you will get help too. I've actually prayed for help to come to me, and it has been coming. I've found a doctor here in Mexico who I am trading with for treatments because I have no cash, but I have time. Today he gave me a careful cortisone injection into the raised scar that came back. I PRAY it flattens out more soon. Like NOW.

It's right next to my nose, so there's no way to hide it. There it is!! Ugly as hell.

I completely understand feeling like if your skin was alright, everything else would be alright too. It's not silly, it's how a lot of people feel. We can't hide our scars, like if they were on our backs or legs. They're on our faces and we feel like we can't face the world.

When my acne scars were at their worst, they were really awful. I had a face full of them, and four huge ones. I really couldn't look in a mirror. And I felt like I was suffocating in misery every day. Then one night I was walking my dog, and I realized that I spent every minute of my life avoiding light, avoiding keeping my head raised, and I was so sick of it. I knoew it must be really bad for my body and soul to go around like that all time. So I decided that I would do myself a favor and just PRETEND, while I walked my dog in the dark, that I looked beautiful and my face was fine. Just to trick my body into feeling good for change.

This might sound weird, but I swear, it was the beginning of changing the whole course of events for me. I can't even explain why.

But just try it for a while, because you're flooding your body with stress chemicals, which is terrible for your skin anyway. Give it a rest and just imagine your face smooth and clear again, pretend it is, FEEL that it is. And then send out a prayer to the universe to send you the help you need to make that a reality. And KNOW the help will come to you.

This is not a New Age seminar! This is what has been working for me so far. This thing has dominated my life so I've had a lot of time to think about how to deal with it and what can help.

What kind of scars do you have, Willow?

Hi Willow68, I'm sorry that you're feeling so bad. Retin-A helps me feel a little bit better about my scarring while I search for other options to improve it. You said you use a .1mm dermaroller, would you mind telling me where you purchased it? Thanks!

I ordered mine off ebay. I did a search on "skin roller" HTH.

Hi Willow,

I once feel the same as you too.

Just wanna sleep and not face the world.

But I tell myself there is always hope.

Do not feel envious about not having the money for

laser treatment. Cos, I have been there and done it. Not much help.

From my experience,

most of the treatment that actually help with scar are cheap and

can be done by yourself like needling and tca cross.

You just need patient.

It is alright to feel down once in a while.

But at the end of the day, just remember to pick yourself up.

Athumbysg, Can you tell me if you have helped scars and how? I'm a little confused, some people say leave your face a lone, others say to needle, use peels etc, I don't know what to be doing. I do know if I lived in a large urban area, rather then a dinky town in Canada that doesn't even have a dermatologist, I would do just about anything to get my scars professionally treated!

Willow, I have had help, and you will get help too. I've actually prayed for help to come to me, and it has been coming. I've found a doctor here in Mexico who I am trading with for treatments because I have no cash, but I have time. Today he gave me a careful cortisone injection into the raised scar that came back. I PRAY it flattens out more soon. Like NOW.

It's right next to my nose, so there's no way to hide it. There it is!! Ugly as hell.

I completely understand feeling like if your skin was alright, everything else would be alright too. It's not silly, it's how a lot of people feel. We can't hide our scars, like if they were on our backs or legs. They're on our faces and we feel like we can't face the world.

When my acne scars were at their worst, they were really awful. I had a face full of them, and four huge ones. I really couldn't look in a mirror. And I felt like I was suffocating in misery every day. Then one night I was walking my dog, and I realized that I spent every minute of my life avoiding light, avoiding keeping my head raised, and I was so sick of it. I knoew it must be really bad for my body and soul to go around like that all time. So I decided that I would do myself a favor and just PRETEND, while I walked my dog in the dark, that I looked beautiful and my face was fine. Just to trick my body into feeling good for change.

This might sound weird, but I swear, it was the beginning of changing the whole course of events for me. I can't even explain why.

But just try it for a while, because you're flooding your body with stress chemicals, which is terrible for your skin anyway. Give it a rest and just imagine your face smooth and clear again, pretend it is, FEEL that it is. And then send out a prayer to the universe to send you the help you need to make that a reality. And KNOW the help will come to you.

This is not a New Age seminar! This is what has been working for me so far. This thing has dominated my life so I've had a lot of time to think about how to deal with it and what can help.

Sierralita, You are very lucky to have received professional help for your scars. I wish I had that. What kind of scars were you dealing with? Did you have any depressed scars? I have a few pitted scars from zits, I scar very very easily. Also I have pores that seem to get larger by the day, and have fused together to created weird type scars, some I'm not sure if they are rolling or boxcar, I just know they are ugly as hell.

It takes me forever to get ready to go out, because I spend so much time trying to cover up the scars with makeup. I would NEVER let anyone see me with out makeup. Very sad I know.

I try to forget about my scars, but as soon as I come across a mirror, I'm quickly reminded and I feel sick inside.

I use to be very pretty as well, I look at my pictures before my face became so gross and I grieve for the girl I use to be.

Willow

Sierralita, You are very lucky to have received professional help for your scars. I wish I had that. What kind of scars were you dealing with? Did you have any depressed scars? I have a few pitted scars from zits, I scar very very easily. Also I have pores that seem to get larger by the day, and have fused together to created weird type scars, some I'm not sure if they are rolling or boxcar, I just know they are ugly as hell.

It takes me forever to get ready to go out, because I spend so much time trying to cover up the scars with makeup. I would NEVER let anyone see me with out makeup. Very sad I know.

I try to forget about my scars, but as soon as I come across a mirror, I'm quickly reminded and I feel sick inside.

I use to be very pretty as well, I look at my pictures before my face became so gross and I grieve for the girl I use to be.

Willow

Yes, of course I had depressed scars. As I said, I had a face full of acne scars, from tiny ones to huge ones. My face looked like the moon. I'm not sure why some people have had very few results with CO2 laser, it did help me tremendously. It also took a lot of courage for me to ask a friend to loan me the money to get the treatment done. I HATED talking about my skin to anyone. But it was $500 and I didn't have it, and I couldn't take it anymore.

Is there any way you can borrow some money to get some treatments done? You can certainly improve the situation from where you're at. Even a microdermabrasion for about $120 will really make a difference if you have not done anything so far. I just had one a few days ago and remembered that is really IS better than any home system of exfoliation. The machine works!

Yes, of course I had depressed scars. As I said, I had a face full of acne scars, from tiny ones to huge ones. My face looked like the moon. I'm not sure why some people have had very few results with CO2 laser, it did help me tremendously. It also took a lot of courage for me to ask a friend to loan me the money to get the treatment done. I HATED talking about my skin to anyone. But it was $500 and I didn't have it, and I couldn't take it anymore.

Is there any way you can borrow some money to get some treatments done? You can certainly improve the situation from where you're at. Even a microdermabrasion for about $120 will really make a difference if you have not done anything so far. I just had one a few days ago and remembered that is really IS better than any home system of exfoliation. The machine works!

I live in a very remote area. We don't even have a dermatologist, let alone a plastic surgeon. I would have to get on a plane to get out of here. It sucks. There are no treatments offered where I live, that was why I was trying to help my scars myself.

I live in a very remote area. We don't even have a dermatologist, let alone a plastic surgeon. I would have to get on a plane to get out of here. It sucks. There are no treatments offered where I live, that was why I was trying to help my scars myself.

I see. Well there are some things you can order online that can help, and things you can do at home, to start improving the situation.

Then you can maybe plan for a future trip to the nearest town with a dermatologist. Where are you?

And what are you doing for your skin now? What treatments are you using?

Here are some things you can do at home that will improve your skin:

*Drink TONS of water

*Take lots of vitamins and supplements (there is a list on this site that is a good one for supplements for skin), don't smoke cigarettes and try not to drink alcohol

*Regularly exfoliate with products containing one or more of the different acids available

*Use home peels (be very careful) followed by products that help rebuild your collagen

*Use home micro-dermabrasion kits followed by products that help rebuild collagen

*If you're really broke, use scotch tape on your face (it's like Biore) to pull off dead skin cells and clean out your pores -- it actually works really well and people have posted about it here

*Use apple cider vinegar on your face once a day to improve texture and tone

*Use natural masks to feed your skin and close your pores: egg whites (I LOVE this mask), honey, oatmeal

*Lemon juice is also a peel

Self needling seems to help but I swear, I've fucked up my own skin worse than anything else, so I wouldn't recommend taking sharp objects to your face.

If anything, very strong exfoliation, like with a micro-dermabrasion cloth that you can order online (some people use sandpaper as well, but that can be overdone easily) ALWAYS followed by a rest on your skin, rebuilding your collagen, drinking a lot of water.

All of this will help the way your skin looks, and in the meantime you can save some money for a bigger treatment.

Oh yes, and exercise.

Self needling seems to help but I swear, I've fucked up my own skin worse than anything else, so I wouldn't recommend taking sharp objects to your face.

What kind of needles did you use?

I see. Well there are some things you can order online that can help, and things you can do at home, to start improving the situation.

Then you can maybe plan for a future trip to the nearest town with a dermatologist. Where are you?

And what are you doing for your skin now? What treatments are you using?

Here are some things you can do at home that will improve your skin:

*Drink TONS of water

*Take lots of vitamins and supplements (there is a list on this site that is a good one for supplements for skin), don't smoke cigarettes and try not to drink alcohol

*Regularly exfoliate with products containing one or more of the different acids available

*Use home peels (be very careful) followed by products that help rebuild your collagen

*Use home micro-dermabrasion kits followed by products that help rebuild collagen

*If you're really broke, use scotch tape on your face (it's like Biore) to pull off dead skin cells and clean out your pores -- it actually works really well and people have posted about it here

*Use apple cider vinegar on your face once a day to improve texture and tone

*Use natural masks to feed your skin and close your pores: egg whites (I LOVE this mask), honey, oatmeal

*Lemon juice is also a peel

If anything, very strong exfoliation, like with a micro-dermabrasion cloth that you can order online (some people use sandpaper as well, but that can be overdone easily) ALWAYS followed by a rest on your skin, rebuilding your collagen, drinking a lot of water.

All of this will help the way your skin looks, and in the meantime you can save some money for a bigger treatment.

Oh yes, and exercise.

Well, I drink tons of water that's for sure. I use to smoke, but no more, and I don't drink.

My main skin products are

Skin biology Serum ( also have the SC2x)

HA

Emu

I just started RA gel .025%. I use it only a couple time a week until I slowly get use to it.

I have microdermabrasion cloths, I am afraid of to much exfoliation, my skin is quite fragile.

I used Lactic and BHA acids, they were irritating!

How did you screw up your skin?