Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Why me??

Which BHA should I use?

My face is relatively free of breakout though once in a while I do get a big one or two, but my red marks, while improving, are still very visible. And my skin feels and looks rough. So I was thinking of BHA products could help me out?

I'm looking at Paula's Choice BHA as people seem to say this is the best. However which product should I use? My face becomes oily a few hours after washing.

- 1% BHA gel

- 1% BHA lotion

- 2% BHA gel

- 2% BHA lotion

- 2% liquid

- 8% BHA gel

Also, do you think BHA or aqua glycolic products are more effective? And is there a good chance that I will get an initial breakout reaction when I use BHA?

The last product you listed isn't actually BHA, it's an AHA gel that contains 8% glycolic acid. If red marks are your primary concern, you will see better results from an AHA solution rather than BHA (salicylic acid).

Glycolic acid works especially well for those with dry, rough skin and it will also help fade red marks because of how well it exfoliates. If you're still unsure, try getting some samples first and see which one your skin likes the most. Good luck ^_^

Okay thanks.

Then what is BHA's advantage over AHA? I think I read somewhere that AHA can cause an acne flare-up while BHA wont.

I want to fade my red marks but at the same times I also want to even our my skin tone and smooth out my rough and bumpy skin.

Its hard trying o get samples here as I live in asia. Most of the products are available in the states/canada/uk only. :/

Here's a great thread that deals with BHA and AHAs: Link. BHA is usually recommended because of it's ability to penetrate and exfoliate the pore- it's oil-soluble. AHAs (there are several AHA's) on the other hand, mainly exfoliate the upper surface of skin. It's entirely up to you to decide though. Personally, AHA (glycolic acid) worked best for me. It all comes down to what works best for your skin type =]

Oh thanks Fiyero. I think AHA would be more suitable for me, since I dont breakout much and am more concerned about the red marks and roughness. What brand of AHA do you recommend? Or are they all the same?

And is AHA available on pharmacy shelves or behind the counter?

Paula's Choice makes an excellent AHA gel- it's 8% glycolic acid and is at the correct ph. Some people also like the Alpha Hydrox products, although I haven't used them myself. This thread by Wynne has a long list of Glycolic acid products that have been recommended by members on this forum :)

Okay now I'm not sure if I wanna use this yet, because I dont use sunscreen/moisturizer and I dont like putting too much chemicals on my skin.

Anyway thanks a lot. :D