Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have a deep hyperpigmentation scar on my chin thats been around for around 2 years, it was caused by so many pimples overlapping it for around 1 year, I also kept touching that area.

Will this sort of discoloration go away?

What actually happens during the process in which hyperpigmentation marks fade?

What are some ways to fade hyperpigmentation marks?

Please answer me, thank you.

Is it completely flat? If so then it's possible, hyperpigmentation can take a while to resolve, you have my empathy. I am also battling some hyperpigmentation at the moment. The most important thing is to have a handle on your acne because more inflammation can slow the healing process down. Let me know.

Is it completely flat? If so then it's possible, hyperpigmentation can take a while to resolve, you have my empathy. I am also battling some hyperpigmentation at the moment. The most important thing is to have a handle on your acne because more inflammation can slow the healing process down. Let me know.

yea its flat, and its been red brownish for around 2 years now, rarely any active acne on my chin or anywhere else.

people on this board are saying exfoliation helps speed up fading?

how does this method help fade discoloration?

does it help by removing the epidermis outermost layer's skin over and over until you get the layer of skin that matches your skin color? <-- this is my main question

if exfoliation is the key to removing discoloration what sort of methods or home remedies do you suggest?

im currently using vinegar and tape method together and benzoyl peroxide gel usp 5% which my doctor prescribed me with, do you think this will help for a mark thats been around for 2 years?

thanks for the reply

Truth to tell benzoyl peroxide seems to slow the healing process down when it comes to red marks. Exfoliation helps because the hyperpigmented spot is such a superficial injury that acids and peels can slough off the damaged layers and allow uninjured skin to take it's place. Chemical peels are a common method of skin rejuvenation, they work by exoliating the skin at certain depths (dependent on acid type and concentration) The most popular acid types: Glycolic and Salicylic acid peels, are known as "lunch time peels", because of the speed they can be administered, as well as the insignificant down time that they have. TCA peels are stronger than the previous two and TCA is usually performed by a physician because they penetrate deeper into the skin. With a TCA peel, (depending on the strength), you will experience what can best be described as a bad sunburn. This is normal. After a day or two your skin will grow darker and will begin to crust and flake off on it's own. Your doctor may prescribe an antibacterial ointment to prevent infection. This type of peel can acheive better results because it penetrates deeper, however I recommend doing a lighter one first just to be safe. Phenol peels are the deepest type of peel and they are always performed by a doctor. With phenol peels the downtime is much greater. Phenol peels can actually lighten the skin so it's best for lighter skinned individuals.

To sum up, my recommendation is based on 3 factors...First is your budget and secondly you must ask yourself how badly it bothers you. If it is absolutely ruining your confidence then it's worth every penny. I have done gylcolic, salicylic and TCA peels with little results in addtion to an IPL treatment and the Apple Cider Vinegar methods. The IPL did help a bit but I am unsure as though it was enough to fork over another 300 I don't have. I am actually considering a permanent makeup procedure correct the color abnormalities and for that I don't have to worry about repeat visits, although after 3 years the color will fade so you may want a touchup. Just keep in mind, the more drastic the procedure is...the more downtime it will require.

Truth to tell benzoyl peroxide seems to slow the healing process down when it comes to red marks. Exfoliation helps because the hyperpigmented spot is such a superficial injury that acids and peels can slough off the damaged layers and allow uninjured skin to take it's place. Chemical peels are a common method of skin rejuvenation, they work by exoliating the skin at certain depths (dependent on acid type and concentration) The most popular acid types: Glycolic and Salicylic acid peels, are known as "lunch time peels", because of the speed they can be administered, as well as the insignificant down time that they have. TCA peels are stronger than the previous two and TCA is usually performed by a physician because they penetrate deeper into the skin. With a TCA peel, (depending on the strength), you will experience what can best be described as a bad sunburn. This is normal. After a day or two your skin will grow darker and will begin to crust and flake off on it's own. Your doctor may prescribe an antibacterial ointment to prevent infection. This type of peel can acheive better results because it penetrates deeper, however I recommend doing a lighter one first just to be safe. Phenol peels are the deepest type of peel and they are always performed by a doctor. With phenol peels the downtime is much greater. Phenol peels can actually lighten the skin so it's best for lighter skinned individuals.

To sum up, my recommendation is based on 3 factors...First is your budget and secondly you must ask yourself how badly it bothers you. If it is absolutely ruining your confidence then it's worth every penny. I have done gylcolic, salicylic and TCA peels with little results in addtion to an IPL treatment and the Apple Cider Vinegar methods. The IPL did help a bit but I am unsure as though it was enough to fork over another 300 I don't have. I am actually considering a permanent makeup procedure correct the color abnormalities and for that I don't have to worry about repeat visits, although after 3 years the color will fade so you may want a touchup. Just keep in mind, the more drastic the procedure is...the more downtime it will require.

hey thanks a lot for the insights

how do I tell if the hyperpigmentation I have is superficial?

because I'm not really sure if the red/brownish blotch mark I have on my chin is actually superficial or is deeper

It looks like a redmark but in a blotch

I'm not even sure if it is a redmark

Here is a picture of it

Also do you know if I can use tretinoin 0.025 cream on hyperpigmentation marks left by scratching the affected itchy area of my skin when it was itchy?

I also hyperpigmentation marks no my groin and thigh area, the area was itchy, and i ended up scratching it and that area has become brown ever since

does tretinoin 0.025 help fade these sort of marks?

the tube of tretinoin i have contains tretinoin 0.025, stearic acid, myristate, polyoxyl 40 stearate, stearyl alcohol, xanthan gum, sorbic acid, butylated hydroxytoluene, and purified water

thanks again bro

What you have is a little redness but mostly a faded brown color which leads me that it may be pigment related. Do NOT JUMP THE GUN YET. I would recommend having a doctor tell you exactly what it is, first, since it has been there a while. The facts do have me believe that it is a pigment change rather than a typical post acne mark, if that's the case I don't think a chemical peel will help much. IPL is known to help with pigmentary problems like you have but I want you to get a doctor recommendation first just to be safe. In the meantime... STOP SCRATCHING your marks. This ONLY makes things worse. If it itches you may want to use something soothing to prevent itching but scratching can only irritate your skin. Finally I do not advocate the use of retin A. It has worked wonders for some but the reason I have the redmarks I do today is BECAUSE of retin a. I have sensitive skin and it couldn't handle the tretinoin.

What you have is a little redness but mostly a faded brown color which leads me that it may be pigment related. Do NOT JUMP THE GUN YET. I would recommend having a doctor tell you exactly what it is, first, since it has been there a while. The facts do have me believe that it is a pigment change rather than a typical post acne mark, if that's the case I don't think a chemical peel will help much. IPL is known to help with pigmentary problems like you have but I want you to get a doctor recommendation first just to be safe. In the meantime... STOP SCRATCHING your marks. This ONLY makes things worse. If it itches you may want to use something soothing to prevent itching but scratching can only irritate your skin. Finally I do not advocate the use of retin A. It has worked wonders for some but the reason I have the redmarks I do today is BECAUSE of retin a. I have sensitive skin and it couldn't handle the tretinoin.

ok thank you very much seaprince

you have filled me up on the knowledge of my skin

i wish you have the best

peace!