Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Before your acne started, did you have an opinion on acne, or was it a non-existent thought to you?

I have to say in highschool I was a pretentious condescending prick. I was extremely vein and pompous, and looked down on anyone with any physical flaws. This included overweight people, people with low quality clothes, and especially people with acne. While I never actually publicly scorned any of these people, I made a habit of it to avoid them and limit contact with any of them, as if it would denote my integrity.

I think this is why I took acne so hard. In fact the day that it actually occured to me (there was a lengthy stretch of denial) that I actually had noticable acne, I dropped out of school and went into a long depression. For a couple weeks I couldn't even hold a conversation with family members, as I constantly felt that I was being judged and pitied.

To this day, I still have episodes where I hit an extremely cynical thought process, and think everyone thinks of me how I used to think about people with acne. My views have obviously changed as I've matured, and I would never look down on somebody because of an uncontrolable ailment. In fact, its probably a good thing I got acne or I could have gone through my entire life as a prick.

I used to think acne was disgusting before i had it...i guess karma kicked my ass!

i remember really ripping this guy for acne once but obviously I've now been on the recieveing end. I think it really had improved me as a person and of all my friends the ones who have had something tough happen to them are definitely kinder and more forgiving.

i use to make fun of my sister alot! and one day i broke out......then i sat on a bench and look at this guy with really bad acne and said to my friend " at least my acne not that bad!" then i got it worst lol.

before i got acne just over two years ago, i never knew what it was... the term acne. i kknew some people get spots and that, my mum always had them it seemed, but i never for one scond contemplated or even began to understood how much of a killer it could be... in terms of your mentality, personality and as well as the physical signs i was just completely oblivious. until it happened to me... its been without a doubt the most difficult, horrible and challenging experience of my entire life. BUT finally it seems ive managed to come through thanks to dans reg which i came across over a year ago.

My sister had severe acne long before my problems with acne came around. I always felt sorry for her and anyone else suffering with it. Although I didn't have a good understanding of what it was back then, I felt really sorry for her. I wouldn't wish acne on anyone, not even my worst enemies.

i figured the grubby bastards just needed to stop living on maccas and wash their face for a change.. :shifty: i would never have let anyone know thats what i thought of course, but i definitely thought it.. thats why i feel bad when ive got zits cos i imagine other people are thinking the same thing

I got blackheads when I was like 10, and I was getting out of the bath (dont read this if you're a pedophile lol) then I asked my mum what the black dots were, and she said, "blackheads."

Then she said something about acne, and I instinctively didn't like the sound of the word. Then she went, "Dont worry, you wont get bad acne."

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAH WELL look at me now Ma, LOOK. AT. ME.NOW.

it was a non-existent thought. Im not sure if I even knew about acne lol. I just became clueless on how to treat it didn't even know there were doctors for it also I never exfoliated till a year a ago when my neighbor took me to the spa to get a facial cuz my face was that bad...and the lady is like you must exfoliate. so then I started doing it everyday until I relized I didn't have to

acne.org taught me many things. I appreciate it

I had acne at 10, albeit mild but anyway, when i was in my early teens, I use to see every now and then, these people (both male and female) with severe acne &/or acne scarring. Having acne myself, I had a fear of my acne getting to their stage. I just thought how sad they must be because of it ... and how sad I would be if it got that bad for me.

Nope, not that I can recall. My skin started shitting up before I was even old enough to have formed opinions on most things. I've always been an open-minded and empathetic person though, so I doubt whether I'd think differently towards people with skin problems now than if I hadn't have gone through them myself. Except, of course, I wouldn't be able to fully comprehend what it's like to actually live with on a daily basis... so it has probably made me more empathetic towards others in the same boat, in that respect, just because I'm more knowledgeable about it. I think it's hard for others who haven't experienced it to understand and be aware of just how deeply it can affect someone's self-esteem and confidence, even though many do empathise with us.

I noticed acne before I started to get it when I was twelve, but I always seemed to have an indifferent attitude towards it. I still am that way...when it comes to other people. I am the only person I judge and scrutinize for having acne. :doh:

Just today I saw this guy at the mall who had a ton of redmarks on his face, but my first reaction was "Wow, he's hot!" :wub: I am a facial-structure kind of girl.