Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bluray

Post-Accutane treatment?

I'm 3 weeks away from finishing my Accutane course (80mg - 4 months). I'm entirely clear of active acne (haven't had a new one in about a month, its amazing), but my scars are still there, although faded. I don't think they are deep and pitted as I only had mild-moderate acne, but they're still red.

What should I use to treat them? What creams or topicals? And how long must I wait till I can use them?

Then secondly, what can I use to keep the acne at bay should it have a desire to come back? My derm has prescribed me Differin (which I used before Accutane). Is this effective or would Retin-A or BP be more effective?

Thanks so much to those who wish to reply

P.S. Do not hesitate to get on this drug, its incredible!

I'm 9 months post tane.

I use TriLuma cream...helps fade spots, keep pores clear, and smooth skin.

Plus, I get SilkPeels.

Google both and you'll get info...

Hey, glad to hear you are clear. For the scars, I don't really know. It's good they are faded.

The differin should help if you were on it before accutane. The first time i was on accutane I was on tazorac pre-accutane and then they put me back on it after accutane. As you can tell I'm not a lucky one and I'm back on accutane again. If your face gets oily from differin I would ask for retin-A. I have no idea was BP means unless it means Benzoyl Peroxide. That would work too. They both can dry you out though. My sister was on retin-A and got her eyebrows waxed and some skin came off. She looked a little scary she even admitted it. I have really oily skin so thats why I was on tazorac. I think it's stronger than retin-A and Benzoyl peroxide. hope this helps. congrats on almost being done

@ ScoobyDoo: Is Triluma fine for treatment of acne scars considering its for Melasma? Seems like a fairly harsh cream.

@em2009: Do you think using an acne topical after Accutane can actually cause acne to come back? I have a funny feeling about that.

Thanks to you both for your replies :)

Always open to other suggestions from other people about my concerns.

Yes I think you should go on a topical like tazorac, or retina to maintain the clear skin. I do not think you should use BP unless you come to the point of breaking out and they are turning big and painful.