Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sweetheart519

Think twice before scar treatments

I just wanted to post this because so many people jump into scar treatments very quickly after their acne heals, because they are distraught about the scarring that is left.

Please give your skin time to heal. I really haven't done anything but use a retinoid and try to be gentle with my skin after my severe acne got under control in June/July. I have a LOT of red marks and a significant amount of permanent scarring. It's been about 5 months now. The redness is slowly fading, but more significantly the scarring is improving. I would say the pitted scarring has improved by at least 50% in the last couple of months over what it looked like initially.

So please, for those of you who are distraught over your scars...please wait a good amount of time before freaking out or considering scar treatments. I think you will be surprised at how much your skin can heal itself if you just let it, instead of running in there with a knife, needle or laser 2 months after the injury occurred. I think scar treatments can be great, and are warranted for many people. But I really encourage people to wait until your skin has done all it can do by itself to heal, and to only do gentle treatments like retinoids or light peels right afterwards, before freaking out about the what your skin is going to look like from the scars and running into invasive treatments. Chances are they will improve a lot if you just wait.

yeah, i think i have to wait about 6 months anyways, cause of accutane. in the meantime i'll just try and grow my hair out, wear a hat, and eat healthy.

thank you for posting this. i have a bunch of (not very deep, but visible) pitted scarring, only on one cheek, and i've been looking all over these boards for a procedure that might work for me. but all i've found so far is horrifying after photos of people who had laser stuff done. frankly i can't afford for my face to be flushed/hypersensitive/covered in scabs for three months, so i'm glad someone's seen results just by leaving it alone.

my derm. also told me that the flaking i sometimes experience from using my topical sulpha antiobiotic is a good thing, as it's like giving myself a mild chemical peel. just thought i'd share!

Yeah I mean, you can't expect perfection. Your skin will never look exactly like it used to. It was injured after all. But if you can be objective when you look at your skin, and really think about how the scars used to look vs. how it is changing, you will see that it is improving. It's not completely gone, but it's improving. I'm still unhappy with the way my skin is, but at the same time I can be satisfied that it is getting better at least. And that I'm not doing risky treatments that might make it worse. I'm not going to think too much about how my scars look until a year has passed. Then I will be able to see what I am dealing with and can evaluate what to do, if anything.

I agree completely. It's been 3 months since I stopped taking Accutane, and I see improvement in my scars already. All I've done so far is use a microdermabrasion scrub every 7-10 days and rosehip oil to moisturize each night. Of course I use sunscreen during the day.

I'm getting ready to try Skinbiology.com's copper peptides since I bought the trial pack, but I don't plan on trying anything more drastic than that until at least 6 months have went by. Then I plan to try a series of light TCA peels followed by a heavier ones when I work up to it. Finally, if I'm still not happy I plan to do a series of 100% TCA CROSS treatments on a few of the deeper boxcar scars on my cheeks.

Mostly, I'm thankful my acne is gone.

Patience and a good diet are key! Good luck to everyone!

Janet

Thank you. I am new to scar treatments and probably needed to hear this. When my acne cleared greatly, temporarily, 1.5 years ago I immediately rushed into microdermabrasian, which made my skin glow temporarily and then break out horribly a month later (I think it messed with the keratinization or something and made my skin produce massive amounts of sebum again.) I think it's important, too, to wait until ALL your acne is gone, not just 99% or the scar treatments can make it come back.

My retinoid is doing wonders for the time being, anyway. :dance:

SH,

I really like your upbeat attitude and agree with what you say about not rushing into any invasive treatments. I have dealt with moderate/severe scarring for over 25 years. But severe scarring will most likely not improve dramatically by just letting time pass. People with severe scarring should avoid retinoids. They thin the skin and do not improve severe acne scars(tissue loss is the culprit here).

Retinoids only thin the upper layer of the skin, not all of it. And they plump the lower layer over time, which can help the appearance of scars a bit. But more importantly, retinoids stimulate collagen production and this can help with some of the tissue loss. Obviously severe scarring will not improve much from topical treatments, though. So you are right about that.

oh by they way, the reason i say i'm just gonna wear a hat for now is because most of my scars are on my forehead, do you know if wearing a hat would do anything to make them worse or prolong the healing process? cause to be quite frank, i don't even think i could go outside without it.

Thx I am going to check on that product.

, when my acne stops growing , going to get that product to heal ^^

my scars ain't that bad, just the redness , a bit...

If you don't mind , Where can i get retinoid ?