Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sleaman

Vegetarian w/ wheat/gluten intolerance

Well Ive pretty much cleared my acne through cutting out grains. :dance: However, I dont know how to handle those carb cravings, when all u want is a quick bite withs ome calories. Being vegetarian meat is out of the question. ANy suggestions? My diest of cooked veggies,beans, fruit, and greens just isnt cutting it. SOmetimes I just cant resist grains due to their convienence(and deliciosness), and then suffer the consequences. anyone is else in the same boat as me? what do you eat on a daily basis? thanks!

Well Ive pretty much cleared my acne through cutting out grains. :dance: However, I dont know how to handle those carb cravings, when all u want is a quick bite withs ome calories. Being vegetarian meat is out of the question. ANy suggestions? My diest of cooked veggies,beans, fruit, and greens just isnt cutting it. SOmetimes I just cant resist grains due to their convienence(and deliciosness), and then suffer the consequences. anyone is else in the same boat as me? what do you eat on a daily basis? thanks!

Hey, I'm a vegetarian (almost vegan)...and yesterday I realized I have to give up grains to get clear skin.

Are you also limiting potatos and corn? I'm JUST starting to get adjusted to my diet... so I havent figured out what I cant have yet. Right now, I'm on a fruit diet (for 1 week) to see if my skin clears. Then I'll start adding foods (like potatos) to see if I can have those.

I realized that my boyfriend and I's vegan Thanksgiving meal will be grain free... (I'm so happy)... so I'll share that:

- fruit salad (mayonaise/veganaise, apples, pears, crumbled pecans, fruit nectar)

- whipped potatos

- corn on the cob

- Entree: Baked portobello (drenched in sauce of powdered almonds, rosemary, garlic, balsamic vinegar, oregano, onion, vinegar, olive oil)

- Shepard's pie (with mashed potato crust)

I have the recipes to thiese dishes if you ever want it.

I've been recipe hunting on http://www.veggieboards.com (27,000 other vegetarian/vegan members there). That's where I got some of my grain-free ideas.

------

As for grain free snacks, I haven't even thought of what I'm going to do. I think non-vegetarians are in our boat when it comes to grain-free snacking as well... so I'm pretty curious what they've come up with.

Hey I'm a vegetarian (almost vegan) with the same same problem: Yesterday, I had to make the decision to remove grains from my diet as well. At the moment it seems like my diet will be so limited. I felt like someone had put me in prison (I got teary eyed). But I felt the same feeling before I became a vegetarian.. and again the same feeling I became vegan. But, just like those diets, I know it takes a little adjustment before an entire new world of foods and recipes open up to me.

Are you also limiting potatos and corn? I'm JUST starting to get adjusted to my diet... so I havent figured out what I cant have yet. Right now, I'm on a fruit diet (for 1 week) to see if my skin clears. Then I'll start adding foods (like potatos) to see if I can have those.

I realized that my boyfriend and I's vegan Thanksgiving meal is grain free... (I'm so happy)... so I'll share that:

- fruit salad (mayonaise/veganaise, apples, pears, crumbled pecans, fruit nectar)

- whipped potatos

- corn on the cob

- Entree: Baked portobello (drenched in sauce of powdered almonds, rosemary, garlic, balsamic vinegar, oregano, onion, vinegar, olive oil)

- Shepard's pie (with mashed potato crust)

I have the recipe to this dishes if you ever want it.

Recipe: Apple Salad

Cubed Green sour apples

Cubed Red apples

Sliced Celery

Crumbled Pecans

3-5 tablespoons Veganaise or Mayonaise

Sprinkle Sugar or Agave Nectar to taste

Mix all together and chill!

-----------------------------

Recipe: Baked Portabella mushrooms with topping

This recipe will substitute for the turkey entree ;). It has also been a big hit among omnivores. Recpe from: The Garden of Vegan.

1/2 cup almonds

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup Bragg's or soy sauce/tamari

1/4-1/2 cup water

2 Tablespoons balsalmic vinegar

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 teaspoon dried rosemary

1 teaspoon dried oregano

4 large portabello mushrooms, stems removed

1 medium onion, sliced

Preheat oven to 350F. In a blender or food processor, blend the almonds until powdered. Add ingredients through to oregano and blend until well combined. In a large baking dish, place mushrooms upside down and top each with a slice of onion. Pour sauce over top and bake for 20-25 minutes. Makes 2-4 servings.

----------------------------

Vegan Shepherd's Pie:

(I'm going to remove the bread cubes.. or I'll use Rice Flour Bread from the health food store... if it turns out that I can have rice)

STUFFING-1/4 cup olive oil; 2 tsp. shallot, finely chopped; 1 1/4 cups large white onion, finely chopped; 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery; 12 cups stale bread cut in 1/2" cubes; 1/2tsp. dried marjoram; 1/2 tsp. dried thyme; 1/2 tsp. ground celery seed; 1/2 tsp. paprika; freshly ground pepper, to taste; 2 1/4 cups vegetable stock, heated.

MASHED POTATO CRUST-10 small White Rose potatoes, peeled & quartered (approx. 8 cups); 1 celery stalk; 1 large garlic clove; 1 bay leaf; 8 peppercorns; 1 scant Tbsp. light miso; 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil; freshly ground pepper, to taste; paprika.

Heat the oil, shallot, onion & celery in a heavy pot. Saute' until the vegetables begin to soften, then add bread cubes, sage, marjoram, thyme, celery seed, paprika, & pepper. Mix well. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 min. over medium-low heat. Add hot vegetable stock to pot & mix well. Cover & cook over low heat for 30 minutes or longer, stirring frequently, until bread cubes have broken down.

Place potatoes, celery stalks, garlic, bay leaf, & peppercorns in a large pot of cold water. Bring to a boil, cover, & simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender. Potatoes are ready when they pierce easily, but do not fall apart. Use a slotted spoon to remove potatoes from water, reserving water for mashing & gravy; leave peppercorns behind.

Combine 1/2 cup potato with the miso & stir to completely dissolve. Begin mashing potatoes, incorporating miso mixture & adding oil & pepper to taste. Add additional potato water in small increments if potatoes appear too dry.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Oil a deep casserole dish & press stuffing down gently into the bottom. Top with mashed potatoes & smooth the crust with a spatula. Dust top of potatoes with paprika. Bake for 45 minutes or until potatoes have formed a golden crust.

-----------------------------

Whiped potatos (Add a little water and whip with mechanical whipper until light and fluffy. Some people add garlic for flavor, but we enjoy plain). (Lots of recipes on the internet for this)

------

Corn on the cob (stick corn in tinfoil and in oven for several hours. Some vegans use a touch of olive oil on the corn. It tastes like butter (I couldnt tell the difference). Some prefer plain. -- lots of recipes on the internet).

- corn on the cob

As for grain free snacks, I haven't even thought of what I'm going to do. I think non-vegetarians are in our boat when it comes to grain-free snacking as well... so I'm pretty curious what they've come up with.

LOL, Thank you for pointing that out, healthoid. I guess its obvious how "in tune" I am with this "grain-free" diet, LOL. I absolutely dont want to do it!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be so much easier if someone said, "Did you know that corn is horribly abused before you eat it?!?! Did you know that kernals of corn actually cry when its baby seedlings are taken away to become cornmeal?!" :naughty: LOL

Skip the corn for Thanksgiving idea. :confused: Maybe I'll do fresh green beans instead, hehe.

Ahhh, if rice is a grain (I knew this, but now that I'm on the diet its an entirely different story), then I'll skip the rice-bread idea. Potatos.. however... I could buy potato bread at the health food store. My mother once made potato bread at home. It was unforgetably good.

I havent figured out my diet yet.

I'm not worried about sustaining my weight because nuts and avacados will do that.

I'm a little baffled by eliminating all grains. Even if I wasnt a vegetarian, I'd still be baffled by eliminatin all grains. Its a huge part of our diets.

Thanks for the tips! I made that baked portabello recipe tonight for dinner. Delicious! Me n my gf loved it, so did her non-vegetarian roomie. good stuff.

Btw, I have noticed any negative effects of corn or potatoes. I think wheat is the main culprit. Ive been clear for the past month and have been eating potatoes and corn on a daily basis. guess its not all grains for me, more the gluten thats the problem.

Oh, I'm glad the portabella recipe is tasty. I havent tried it yet. I got it from another vegetarian aquaintance.

If you want other TASTEY vegetarian recipes, go to:

http://www.pcrm.org/health/recipes/

^Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine

They hunt down the tastiest vegan recipes. Their split pea soup is SO GOOD... and it tastes just like its full of cream.

I've also made their "Black Bean Patty" sandwhiches...and those are pretty good as well. We made them on rye bread... and my boyfriend (who is a picky eater) loved them.

Tonight, I decided that I'd eliminate wheat and gluten. My skin cleared up 30% when I did that last time. Eliminating all the grains at one time would be too devastating. :P

Is your gf a vegetarian too?

just make veggies the base of your food pyramid instead of grains like what most people do.

it will force you to explore a lot more veggies and become more creative with your foods as well as expand your taste. a good filling veggie is canned pumpkin. you can make pasta out of zucchini(just use a spiralizer or potato peeler to make noodles), you can make filling bakes and dips out of eggplant, avocado, etc. you can make all sorts of soups. i use pumpkin puree or crushed tomatoes for a base. instead of mashed potatoes, you can cook cauliflower till its soft and mash it up. you can make tortillas out of all veggies and maybe some nut flour. i think i saw a recipe somewhere once, ill have to find it. grains provide a lot of filler in the diet so by cutting them out and replacing them with more nutrient dense things like grains you will be delivering your body a lot more nutrition to heal your skin. i personally don't eat grains and have legumes just occasionally. grains arent good for my skin, they make me break out but i have experienced no problems at all with legumes. you can make all sorts of things out of beans. i have seen bean flours, beans used even in brownie and other baked good recipes, you can make bean pancakes, healthy versions of refried beans, bean dips. these are super filling unlike regular grains imo and you eat a lot less of them and get more protein, fiber and lots of antioxidants. beans are loaded with antioxidants and they control blood sugar levels excellently.

I just tried another recipe suggested to me by another vegetarian on this message board (cant remember who/where)... fried apple slices.... sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.

It was surprisingly good and my boyfriend really liked them.

It was a good idea (Vegan too).

I fried them in a little olive oil.

Hey I wanted to say that I've been grain free for over a week and didnt even notice it (I'm vegan). Well, every grain except rice. One step at a time, though.

I've been munching apple chips for a snack.

I'm munching an artichoke with a creamy tofu dip, at the moment. At the nearby restaurant, I ordered a baked potato smothered in beans and rice (instead of chili).

I'm going to be making wraps with rice and terriaki sauce and veggies... wrapped in lettuce.

Hey I wanted to say that I've been grain free for over a week and didnt even notice it (I'm vegan). Well, every grain except rice. One step at a time, though.

I've been munching apple chips for a snack.

I'm munching an artichoke with a creamy tofu dip, at the moment. At the nearby restaurant, I ordered a baked potato smothered in beans and rice (instead of chili).

I'm going to be making wraps with rice and terriaki sauce and veggies... wrapped in lettuce.

I have been gluten free for a few months now - and interestingly, my face cleared up fine, but my neck was breaking out, which it hadn't done before. :wall: So I cut out dairy, and guess what? The rest of my skin is clearing up. I am doing a regime where I am eating a grapefruit first thing in the morning, which I was told by my naturopath helps to balance the two stages of the functioning of the liver.

Has anyone heard of Gillian McKeith, "You Are What You Eat", show or book? She pretty much puts her clients on these 8 week detox diets which are mostly vegetarian, sometimes

there is salmon or chicken for some, but others are vegan. She loves to say that zinc in

pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and strawberries helps the skin. I love watching her show

on BBC America.....I never knew that strawberries had zinc......