Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
too old for acne

33 years of acne

Hi all,

I just found this site and am I'm writing this with the hope that it'll help out a few people out there. I have had acne since I was 13 and am now 46 years old. If that sounds like a nightmare, let me tell you it's not. Of course, if someone told me when I was 13 I'd have acne for the rest of my life, I'd probably not have survived adolesence. But the truth is, I don't think of it most of the time. That is, until that last few weeks when it got much worse for no apparent reason, worse than its been in many years, which is what led me to this site.

One thing that's really helped me through the years is this realization: most people are really unobservant. As obvious as my acne is to myself, I've literally have had people say to me, "What acne?" when I bring the topic up. They literally DON'T SEE IT. How this is possible is beyond me.

Most other people just don't care. They see it, but it's no big deal. Really.

That being said, I'm going to try The Regimen to see if can help me with this latest bout. And if not, well, I'll just go back to caring as little as possible about it. Life's too short to get stuck on something that doesn't really matter in the long run.

Hi all,

I just found this site and am I'm writing this with the hope that it'll help out a few people out there. I have had acne since I was 13 and am now 46 years old. If that sounds like a nightmare, let me tell you it's not. Of course, if someone told me when I was 13 I'd have acne for the rest of my life, I'd probably not have survived adolesence. But the truth is, I don't think of it most of the time. That is, until that last few weeks when it got much worse for no apparent reason, worse than its been in many years, which is what led me to this site.

One thing that's really helped me through the years is this realization: most people are really unobservant. As obvious as my acne is to myself, I've literally have had people say to me, "What acne?" when I bring the topic up. They literally DON'T SEE IT. How this is possible is beyond me.

That being said, I'm going to try The Regimen to see if can help me with this latest bout. And if not, well, I'll just go back to caring as little as possible about it. Life's too short to get stuck on something that doesn't really matter in the long run.

Gah, if someone told me now I'd have acne for the next 33 years of my life I'd probably cry, honestly.

But you're so positive I can't seem to worry about it too much.

Good luck with your regimen.

wow 33 years. :confused: Sadly that seems like a path i may be on. But its nice to see your upbeat attitude about it ^^. I try to keep a positive tone but its hard somedays when you see tons of cysts on your face knowing that youre an adult now but still kids who are 16 have flawless skin while yours has been scarred for life :(

Hey Too Old

I can empathise being in my 30s too and still having to deal with this. It genuinely sucks.

Hi there and welcome!

I, too, have been battling my acne for almost 3 decades. It's been off and on since the 8th grade. There have been times in my life where my skin was ok, and times where I've had severe acne. I had one derm who wanted to put me on Accutane, but I refused. It seems that a lot of my problems stem from hormones. Anyway, I understand where you're coming from. It seems that I'm the only mom at my kid's schools that has pimples. But, strangely enough, not too many people seem to notice the huge zit on my forehead staring at them.

Good luck with your new regimen! I'm sure you'll find a lot of support here.

I had acne for 30 years. Identifying an allergy that caused the worst of it and later diet changes cleared me.

And you are right, people don't look at your skin as much as you do.

I started to have acne at age 15-16 just a phew at age 14 ... 2-3

then it stop , came back at age 15

I hope i don't get acne for long.... my father had acne and it stopped at age 23-25

btw if my face don't get acne , then my back wont get acne too? :(

Hi Too Old!

I'm 40, it's ridiculous we should still be getting this.

My acne has improved dramatically since I started my new regime, though I'm wary of jinxing myself in case it doesn't last.

I hope you beat your acne problem too!

Hi.

I started suffering cystic acne during my freshman year in college and I am now almost 41. My skin has cleared since then. However, I still get a pimple or two and sometimes they are cystic. For the most part, I noticed that the pimples that I now get are due to clogged hair pores. When I push them out, I know I am successful if the hair root comes out with all that white goo. After that pore is clear of that mess, it heals back to normal healthy skin. As far as the cystic ones are concerned, I am unable to determine if it is a tiny clogged hair pore or something much deeper.

I too cannot believe this is still happening to me.

Yes, most people aren't "that" observant to someone else's skin but u better believe it they would notice if it was on them. Plus, it doesn't really matter "that much" if u are just mingling with friends, but if u are trying to get a date or something....most people will focus on our skin...regardless if we are smart, fun, outgoing and just plain great people.

I have suffered with "IT" for 20 years, though i have been somewhat fortunate as it has been mild/moderate...if there is a postive! I too have become so desperate to clear this thing once and for all that i am considering Accutane...though i have been strongly against it up to this point because of possible side effects. I just want to be done with it...20 years of not knowing how ur going to look the next day is a terror. I have totally put off planning trips because I feel like hey if i don't want to actually put money into this trip, in a couple of months i may look so bad that i won't have any fun or want to take pics and so forth. I blew so much of my teenage years because of this dreaded curse...stayed in alot and rarely took any pics. THERE HAS TO BE A CURE SOMEWHERE OUT THERE!!!!!

Gah, if someone told me now I'd have acne for the next 33 years of my life I'd probably cry, honestly.

But you're so positive I can't seem to worry about it too much.

Good luck with your regimen.

Life's too short to get stuck on something that doesn't really matter in the long run.

Acne from the age of 13 onwards, or atleast til 46 and older, that shit sounds very much like the long run to me.

wow 33 years. :confused: Sadly that seems like a path i may be on. But its nice to see your upbeat attitude about it ^^. I try to keep a positive tone but its hard somedays when you see tons of cysts on your face knowing that youre an adult now but still kids who are 16 have flawless skin while yours has been scarred for life :(

Hey all,

Thanks for your support! I really appreciate it!

I've been on the Regimen for almost three weeks. It's a bit frustrating, but it's getting better. I still have some redness, so I'm still hoping that will go away. I also seem to get occasional small hives near my eyes although I am very careful NOT to put BP there. (Anyone else have this?)

In general, though, my skin looks a little clearer. Not as clear as I hoped by now, but it's better. I do have an urge to give up sometimes but I am determined to keep it up for 2 months. It's hard to imagine doing this routine for the rest of my life. Let's face it, putting on BP twice a day is really tedious. But if it works, I'll deal with the tedium.

I have been suffering from severe cystic acne for over 15 years. I'm 33 now. Although it has it's good days, I still continue to go through life feeling inadequate. However, I am coming to the realization that the more you stress over it, the worse it is. Having a positive attitude and a good laugh everyday is key! Trust me, I know how hard it is! From what I have seen on here, I think my condition is the worst! Still, I keep my chin up!

Good luck to you all!!!!!!