Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Welshman

steam room and sauna

Hey all,

I have latey been going to my local steam room and sauna cuz my cousin told me that it may help my ance and general skin condition, dont know really if it helps a lot or not. So i am wondering if anyone else uses these to impove there skin and how much it helps??

Cheers.

From what I've read, that can actually make your skin worse. The extreme difference in temperature damages the skin. You dry out more, the skin is irritated, more zits. Not good. I personally have been trying to cut my hot showers shorter and lowering the temp because of this.

Hmm.. I heard that steam rooms and saunas are good because they open up your pores and prevent from clogging. I once tried something called Hot Yoga, which is doing yoga in a steam room and the instructor said it was good for your skin. But then again.. different people experience different things.

damn this is another example that no matter what you do, something will cause acne

Ive heard hot showers are good for your skin, but the 2nd poster just said he limits his hot showers because its not good for your skin

acne is a bitch, whoever invented it sucks ass

This is the prob no one really knows, is it good for ance or bad? i dont know, not many do.

but cheers for the help ppl.

Heya...I work at a proffesional spa as an esthetician and massage therapist. I have some info on personal face steamers, steamrooms and saunas for you. First of all...steam is controversial in the beauty industry. Some proffesionals use it, some don't. I am one who does. I don't reccomend using the steam for more than 3-10 minutes(15 at absolute max for full body) for people with acne and sensitive skin. The steam can be helpful in cleansing your pores. An ideal time to use it would be right after you cleanse and before you extract anything or use exfoliating products. Both the steamrooms and saunas help to release toxins (which helps because your body releases toxins through acne; so better to sweat than get more pimples, right?) Keep in mind that you should stay extra hydrated and that public steamrooms can be breeding grounds for bacteria. This is because of the moist heat and the fact that the steam is not "fresh" for each person who comes in..it is shared and recycled. It'd be ideal to use a facility that has personal steamshowers that are cleaned and disinfected after each use like at some spas. Some places allow you to purchase steamroom time for a small fee. I reccomend buying a personal face steamer at ulta or even some beauty supply stores. You can probably get one at a decent price cuz of xmas sales and all. Good luck!

Btw..if you ever have congested sinuses, you can use the steam to help release that as well.

Hey all,

I have latey been going to my local steam room and sauna cuz my cousin told me that it may help my ance and general skin condition, dont know really if it helps a lot or not. So i am wondering if anyone else uses these to impove there skin and how much it helps??

Cheers.

One more thing...the person who replied earlier and said that it can dry out your skin is right. Especially if you are using an exfoliating product as well. The idea is to balance the oil content in your skin... non emulsifying moisturizers and hydrators are important (stay away from the heavy creams with humectants in them..stick with acne safe moisturizers made for oily or combo skin..depending on your skin type..products with microsponges are geat because the absorb the excess oil while maintaing the oil balance content) Even oily skin needs to be moisturized. This is because when we strip the oils from our skin, the sebum (oil) glands thinks the skin needs more oil, so it produces more..which leads to more clogged pores and more acne. So I find hydrating and moisturizing is nessesary after steaming and exfoliating and is a part of my regular routine as well. (This is just my opinion based on schooling and personal experience)

Heya...I work at a proffesional spa as an esthetician and massage therapist. I have some info on personal face steamers, steamrooms and saunas for you. First of all...steam is controversial in the beauty industry. Some proffesionals use it, some don't. I am one who does. I don't reccomend using the steam for more than 3-10 minutes(15 at absolute max for full body) for people with acne and sensitive skin. The steam can be helpful in cleansing your pores. An ideal time to use it would be right after you cleanse and before you extract anything or use exfoliating products. Both the steamrooms and saunas help to release toxins (which helps because your body releases toxins through acne; so better to sweat than get more pimples, right?) Keep in mind that you should stay extra hydrated and that public steamrooms can be breeding grounds for bacteria. This is because of the moist heat and the fact that the steam is not "fresh" for each person who comes in..it is shared and recycled. It'd be ideal to use a facility that has personal steamshowers that are cleaned and disinfected after each use like at some spas. Some places allow you to purchase steamroom time for a small fee. I reccomend buying a personal face steamer at ulta or even some beauty supply stores. You can probably get one at a decent price cuz of xmas sales and all. Good luck!

Btw..if you ever have congested sinuses, you can use the steam to help release that as well.

Hey all,

Cheers.