Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SUE WALKER

Mineral Makeup

Someone told me that mineral makeup that is buffed in can cause acne to be worse. I thought the whole idea of mineral makeup was to help control acne. I'm confused and wonder if anyone know the truth about this? Is it just some mineral makeups? or all? Is liquid or cream makeup better for acne? I was thinking of buy some mineral makeup until someone told me this. Please help me. Thanks! :think:

Not all mineral makeup is created equal. Many powder foundations call themselves "mineral makeup" because they contain minerals, but they also contain other non-mineral ingredients too. Some of them are as bad or worse than many traditional foundations when it comes to irritating the skin or clogging pores.

I also use Everyday Minerals, which is 100% mineral makeup. I like it because as a powder it is great for my oily skin. It helps control shine, doesn't streak, and wears well throughout the day.

I also like that it has such few ingredients (just 4), because I notice the less ingredients a product has, the less likely it is to break me out. Plus those ingredients are all natural minerals which are unlikely to irritate the skin; few people have problems with mineral makeup breaking them out. I notice that when I conceal a pimple with my MMU it does not end up getting worse as it would with my former liquid foundations & creme concealers. Rather, my pimples heal much faster, as they might if I didn't wear any makeup at all.

As for buffing in mineral makeup, that should not irritate the skin as long as you use a good quality brush & wash it regularly. A cheap quality brush may scratch your skin & if it is dirty then that can spread bacteria. Buffing is actually a soft & light motion. You don't need to press hard & using a silky brush actually feels nice.

I also get coverage comparable to liquid foundation, but it looks way more natural and feels much lighter. Since I like medium to heavy coverage, it's amazing how natural I still end up looking (and feeling! I hate when my face feels gunky from makeup). People often cannot tell if I am wearing makeup or not.

Several companies offer free or low priced samples if you're interested in trying MMU. I always recommend Everyday Minerals also because it is my favorite. Their sample kits are free; you just pay for shipping. I might add that application & finding the right color can be trial and error. It takes some practice to get the hang of applying a powder makeup if you're used to liquid.

There are liquid foundations that are fine for acne also. It really comes down to personal preference & your individual skin. If you want to know about a specific foundation, people here are always happy to tell you their experience with it.

The two times I've worn EM I did break out however I'm only 1 month into the DKR and the initial breakout is still probably going on. Also I did notice that the second time wasn't as severe. Maybe it just takes time getting used to it.

Sue,

I have to tell you - I *love* this stuff. It's incredible. I was interested in mineral make-up, but was really afraid that it would cause problems. (I'm a walking sensitivity.) After reading on this site I decided to try the EM. Honest to goodness, the more I use it, the better my skin looks.

Sue,

I have to tell you - I *love* this stuff. It's incredible. I was interested in mineral make-up, but was really afraid that it would cause problems. (I'm a walking sensitivity.) After reading on this site I decided to try the EM. Honest to goodness, the more I use it, the better my skin looks.

Thanks for your info. I am going ahead and order EM and hopefully it will work for me. I have very oily skin and break out easily. It has been a challenge my whole life trying to find a great foundation.

You know, I really don't know what to think about mineral make-up. I have white heads all over my chin and mouth-cheek area...I hate to sound gross, but I can literally squeeze these long strands of garbage out of those pores. I really wonder if it's the mineral make-up I use.

I was using Pur minerals for about a year...my face started breaking out tremendously in July. I thought maybe it was an ingredient so I looked up the ingredients and saw it had Bismuth oxychloride, which according to many sources is a highly comedogenic ingredient. I have since switched to a brand that does not contain this ingredient. My face is still breaking out like crazy. However, I'm on minocyclin and Differin...so I'm not sure if that is the source of my breakouts (the whole 'it has to get worse before it gets better' deal).

They say mineral make-up is supposed to calm and reduce inflammation...but I really don't see any improvement.

You know, I really don't know what to think about mineral make-up. I have white heads all over my chin and mouth-cheek area...I hate to sound gross, but I can literally squeeze these long strands of garbage out of those pores. I really wonder if it's the mineral make-up I use.

Maybe it IS the mineral make up that is clogging your pores. I knew someone who used the Physicians Formula brand and it caused her to get those white heads around her mouth/cheek area. Traditional powder makeup works well for her, though.