Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snack

Do most people who reach cumulative still need a second course?

I could really use some encouragement. I'm on my first course and I'm definitely going to reach my cumulative -in fact, I'll be going a bit beyond it. Probably like 180mg/kg total. Moderate acne. 21-year-old male.

I want to believe that what I've been suffering through on tane is actually going to have some sort of payoff that lasts beyond a few months to a year. I'm slowly clearing up now in the 3rd month, but I'm so worried that it's not going to last. This is such a shitty feeling. :l

I think it varies from person to person. I know I read on a tane laeflet that the older you are when you take tane, the more likely you are to have full remission, and the milder your acne is when you start tane, the more likely you are to have full remission.

Whats your dosage and weight? I'm on my third round of tane. First round was high dosage and gave me long-lasting relief, but it came back years later. 2nd round was low-dose (yet still reached "cumulative") and it only gave me about 6 months of relief. This leads me to believe that the low-dose courses, even if recommended cumulative is reached over many months, is not as effective as a higher dose treatment which really throws a giant wrench into the gears of your sebaceous glands' functions.

I'm currently on a "moderate" dose; not low-dose yet not the 140mg/day I was taking 8 years ago. I want this to be my last experience with tane.

First month was 40mg, second was 60mg, and the last 3 months will be 80mg. I think I'm like 57kg.

As other say, the older you are when you have your course, the more likely you'll experience remission with a full course. At 29ish, I had a partial course and stayed clear for many years thereafter.

I think if I were to have a second course (not something I am thinking of anymore) I would be completely clear forever without topicals. Or maybe that's just a dream. ;)

But for you, I think you have a good chance of remaining clear after your course for many years. AND most people find that their acne is never as bad (on return) as it was before Accutane.

I've not had one scarring cyst since I did Accutane. Nor any large cysts at all. Just minor things.

Whats your dosage and weight? I'm on my third round of tane. First round was high dosage and gave me long-lasting relief, but it came back years later. 2nd round was low-dose (yet still reached "cumulative") and it only gave me about 6 months of relief. This leads me to believe that the low-dose courses, even if recommended cumulative is reached over many months, is not as effective as a higher dose treatment which really throws a giant wrench into the gears of your sebaceous glands' functions.

I'm currently on a "moderate" dose; not low-dose yet not the 140mg/day I was taking 8 years ago. I want this to be my last experience with tane.

As other say, the older you are when you have your course, the more likely you'll experience remission with a full course. At 29ish, I had a partial course and stayed clear for many years thereafter.

I think if I were to have a second course (not something I am thinking of anymore) I would be completely clear forever without topicals. Or maybe that's just a dream. ;)

But for you, I think you have a good chance of remaining clear after your course for many years. AND most people find that their acne is never as bad (on return) as it was before Accutane.

I've not had one scarring cyst since I did Accutane. Nor any large cysts at all. Just minor things.

My acne is from stress so I'm pretty pissed because I've had 2 small zits in the past month while on tane as a result of stress which is a totally uncontrollable factor. Knowing my luck I'll need a second course.