Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Feel Good Inc

HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE HELP for brother!

My brother is about 50lbs overweight. He's 22 and he's already becoming hypertense. I measured him for the past few days and his pulse is at 114 and his highest blood pressure is at 160/112. Worse off: HE DOESN'T HAVE INSURANCE!!

What can we do for him at home while we get him an appointment to see someone to get his blood pressure lowered? Are there any at-home remedies we can get him to take??

He doesn't need insurance - just needs to change his diet is all. As his young age, regaining his health should be easy. :) Less animal products, more plant based foods such as vegetables, fruits, nuts/seeds, beans/legumes, and whole grains. These foods can be very enjoyable, and once he satiates his body with good nutrition, his cravings for nutrient empty junk foods will go away or at least greatly lessen.

Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D., is an amazingly knowledgeable doctor who focuses on nutrition and disease prevention. You might want to look through his articles at www.drfuhrman.com, www.diseaseproof.com and also might want to check out his radio show, especially the one on blood pressure dated 10/24/07. http://www.drfuhrman.com/voiceamerica/nutritional_wisdom.htm. You can right click and save the MP3 files to your computer.

You brother is very lucky to have you looking out for him - I hope things get better for him. :)

Thanks a lot pretty fairy! :)

The concern I have now is in the now! Isn't that pressure an issue for immediate emergency? I know it takes a lot of time and dedication to lower blood pressure issues. But I'm wondering if there is anything he can do (herbs?) to calm it. Sometimes people end up in emergency rooms with immediate issues like that...Funny thing is that he says he isn't feeling any symptoms! Although I see him beet red around his extremities (hands, face, feet). No wonder they call this the silent killer! :unsure:

Edit**

He's taking this pretty nonchallantly--He sat down and he measured his pressure again and it said 120/76, but when he stands his pressure is rediculous! His pulse still remains a little too fast whether he is sitting or standing. When he got the 120/76 reading, he says it's back to normal, but I don't think so. I think 120/76 should be normal at standing, and sitting it should be somewhere between 100-110 or so on average. Am I wrong?

The concern I have now is in the now! Isn't that pressure an issue for immediate emergency? I know it takes a lot of time and dedication to lower blood pressure issues. But I'm wondering if there is anything he can do (herbs?) to calm it. Sometimes people end up in emergency rooms with immediate issues like that...Funny thing is that he says he isn't feeling any symptoms! Although I see him beet red around his extremities (hands, face, feet). No wonder they call this the silent killer! :unsure:

Edit**

He's taking this pretty nonchallantly--He sat down and he measured his pressure again and it said 120/76, but when he stands his pressure is rediculous! His pulse still remains a little too fast whether he is sitting or standing. When he got the 120/76 reading, he says it's back to normal, but I don't think so. I think 120/76 should be normal at standing, and sitting it should be somewhere between 100-110 or so on average. Am I wrong?

Edit**

While I definitely agree that high blood pressure is a problem, the fact remains that the AHA admits 90% of the population is going to be hypertensive by the age of 65. I don't know how much truth there is to that statement, but that really doesn't say all that much for lifestyle changes being very effective in the long run.

Even in young people it's frustrating. I mean, I'm 21, thin, get regular exercise and don't have a high sodium intake. It's been a year or so since I checked, but I think last time I was in the prehypertensive zone as well. Keep in mind, of course, blood pressure can change significantly minute to minute and a single reading doesn't necessarily say squat. But I'm curious as to whether the insight of "experts" suggesting cutting down the blood pressure norm even further potentially has something to do with the interests of pharmaceutical companies and blood pressure med sales. Lower is going to be ideal, but at a certain point that just isn't realistic for most of us without taking medications we arguably don't need.

I don't trust big pharmacia by a long shot, but I have to agree with the current consensus about parameters.

I think more healthful diets and lifestyles would tremendously impact the general population. I just don't think that the general population has embraced the concept of healthy lifestyle because the problems they will face are not apparent now. It's very difficult to change a societal norm.

Realistically, most people who believe they eat a healthy diet don't. Most folks think that if they wear running shoes and carry around a water bottle that they've doing well.

We can ALL stand to improve. I think the problem is, people don't really stop to look at what they're eating. I don't think most people read food labels, let alone go in-depth with ingredients listings when they buy things at the store. Simply being aware of things like hydrogenated oils and so forth would go immensely far in improving general health in the population. But people are lazy. I just don't see it happening, to be honest. In fact, sometimes I feel weird when I read all the food labels at the store, because I seem to be the only person doing it.

I also think people have a tendency to take things too far with healthy diets. Day to day, I eat pretty damn healthy, at least compared to the typical American. But sometimes I just crave a pizza, or some ice cream, or a burger, or something along those lines. I think it's very possible to minimize junk food habits without outright banishing them. Moderation is key.

Sorta random. Sorry. =P

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful smart suggestions. Cecilia--thank you, your suggestions were tops! I have done MULTIPLE varied readings on him for the past 3 days. To think that I actually found his prehypertensive state by accident. I have a problem with low blood pressure because of an adrenal disease I had removed, and lately I have been getting funky readings. I thought my monitor was out of whack and I tried it on him because in the past he had had normal readings. When suddenly, I notice that he comes home from work all sweaty and fatigued. Usually I thought it was normal because he's always had a "heat" issue. I thought it was just because he's fat. Honestly, the boy hasn't eaten properly since I've been conscious as a kid. But Lord knows how many days he's been in that hypertensive state! You don't even need to be fat to have BP issues! Unfortunately, he's more stubborn than a stone and he won't see the health crisis going on in America inclusively regarding blood pressure issues. I mean, come on! It's not like he grew up in a time when the media didn't feed us with the heart disease craze epidemic. He's only 22!! A lot of propaganda, I know--but I'm sorry, it's the truth!! He was taught these things at school! Nickelodeon taught us to be "healthy" in between commercials!

The problem with him is that he has this f*ing relationship with food that not even a bad prenup agreement can break up! It's all bad habits, on top of that sitting at a computer for dead hours and sleeping when the whole world is up! My whole family saw this issue coming, yet he didn't heed warning. Thats all my mom needs, another health crisis aside from the one I'm already going through. My parents don't need this, they don't!

I am going to try to get him to follow a strict regimen and mabey get him to take a diuretic? I have heard it also helps eliminate some of that excess water which can help with the BP according to my mom. I warned him about being hypertense with a pulse of 114 and over-exerting himself. Because his idea of lowering his BP is hitting it hard at the gym as if you could change the years of damage overnight. You can still have a heart issue even at 22. I believe his BP is climbing the pre-hypertension state because of cholesterol from outside food which he eats often. He hasn't had a medical checkup in years!

By the way, we confirmed the numbers we were getting from him at a local pharmacy and according to the chart, a BP measuring from 120 through 135 or so (sitting) is considered prehypertension. His pulse at the time at rest was around a 96. No good.

You are welcome, FGI.

I must say that I am not a big fan of diuretics. I just think that they only work because they dehydrate you and decrease the circulating blood volume. I think they have more benefit in the elderly, who usually have some degree of a-fib/congestive heart failure. You can diurese adquately at his age if you follow the salt/caffeine/water/potassium suggestions.

Is bribery an option?

Damn, it's a shame. I shouldn't have to be bribing him at his age, but I will try. In fact, despite what I said about him on this thread, I'm going to tell him to read it. Thanks again.

There is a best-selling book that is at every bookstore. It made headlines last year and it was a scientific breakthrough for reversing high bloodpressure, bad cholesterol and curing diabetes type II. My friend followed it and he lost 14 pounds in 2 weeks...and his wife lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks. After 3 months, his doctor said he no longer had Diabetes Type II, and he didnt have bad cholesterol or high blood pressure.

Its called "Dr Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes."

I follow the diet just to be healthy.

If you are interested in it, go to the bookstore and read the first 5 pages of the book. You will be able to decide if its for you.

That is THE highest blood pressure reading and pulse Ive ever heard of on a 22 year old! Im 23 and I eat a lot of unhealthy foods and I have low bp all the time. Normal bp is 110-120/80

Feel Good Inc,

I agree with the others that are suggesting a change in his diet. If you could help him to see that eating healthfully can be enjoyable, then I think you might succeed. :) He's only 22 - what's going to happen in 10 years if he doesn't change the way he's taking care of himself? He needs to imagine himself waking up one day at 32, 50 pounds heavier (or worse), no energy, not aging well and generally not looking well, low enthusiasm for life, and looking back with regret knowing that things could have been different and wishing that *if only* he could go back and get a second chance.... well, wish granted! Now is that chance for him to take control of his life while he's still young.

Dr. Mehmet Oz has been doing some truly fascinating shows recently on Oprah regarding aging and how you can turn around the process!... http://www2.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/20071...?promocode=HP41

You must be such a blessing to your family!!! They are lucky to have you. :)

Remember, if you're not sitting perfectly still for an extended period, it's going to be off. And let's not forget about the whole "white coat effect." I imagine it's very hard to tell if you have high blood pressure or not, mainly because it bounces around so quickly. Any perfectly healthy individual could go walk from one side of the room to the other and have a blood pressure reading like this guy has. It literally changes with every heartbeat.

Snack is exactly correct, as is ABGF.

BP is completely variable and it's supposed to be that way and Dr. Oz is a very smart guy.

Well, everyone's pretty much said everything already, but just wanted to add, I think you're a great person looking out for your brother like that - he's really lucky to have you :)

I was just thinking of something I forgot to ask you Feel Good Inc. Is your brother doing drugs? That can cause extremely high blood pressure in someone of our age