Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jay4444

Thinking about ditching Retin-A Micro...

I've been on Retin-A Micro for 10 weeks now. I guess Ive seen some improvement in my acne, but not much. I would stick with it, but I really want to start tanning. I will have to stop Retin-A eventually anyway once spring comes because I am outside a lot.

Is there any way to continue taking RAM and still tan?

What if I cut RAM down to 2-3 times/week and tanned once a week?

Retin-A did nothing for me and you've been on it a while I would recommend you try something else. As for tanning I'd have to advise sternly against that. For one UV exposure increases the size of the sebaceous glands. Number two, you are aging your skin, UVA rays penetrate to the dermis and damage DNA and that wonderful tan you have now translates to leathery flesh, collagen reduction and ugliness later on. Trust me. The only safe way to tan is sunless tanning.

And no, you are even more photosensitive while on Retin-A so it wouldn't work out...but then again I'd tell you NOT to tan no matter what you were taking.

Retin-A did nothing for me and you've been on it a while I would recommend you try something else. As for tanning I'd have to advise sternly against that. For one UV exposure increases the size of the sebaceous glands. Number two, you are aging your skin, UVA rays penetrate to the dermis and damage DNA and that wonderful tan you have now translates to leathery flesh, collagen reduction and ugliness later on. Trust me. The only safe way to tan is sunless tanning.

And no, you are even more photosensitive while on Retin-A so it wouldn't work out...but then again I'd tell you NOT to tan no matter what you were taking.

Say I did decide to tan though, how long would I need to be off RAM before doing so? It definitely would work to cut down to 2x/week and tan?

Just wear a moisturizing SPF 15 or 30 and if it starts to get irritated or anything just cover up your face. I've also found that just wearing a 15 and only doing 6-7 minutes in a high pressure bed instead of a normal max of 10-12 (low chance of burning anyway, expensive but by far the best way to tan in a bed) works out well. I haven't had any problems, just be smart and cautious.