Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acne_battle

Should I worry about this ingredient?

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: TITANIUM DIOXIDE 2.3% (AVE.), ZINC OXIDE 4.2%. INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: MICA, LAUROYL LYSINE, SILICA, SQUALANE, BORON NITRIDE, KAOLIN, RETINYL PALMITATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN. MAY CONTAIN: IRON OXIDES, ULTRAMARINES.

I think mica is comedogenic. These are the ingredients in my physicians formula talc free mineral face powder. Do any of these other ingredients look harmful to you? Would it be okay to use this make up or I should avoid it?

It bothers some, doesn't bother others. My skin doesn't care either way about mica. Bismuth oxychloride it doesn't like at all!

There are certainly ingredients in skin care products that can spell more risk than others. If you look at the back of your shampoo bottle and MOST shampoo bottles you'll notice a little ingredient called "Sodium Laureth Sulfate" which is a foaming agent as well as a detergent. Now in comedogenic ingredient lists it is pinned as a pore-clogging ingredient and in my case that is true but see the problem is that the individual constituents aren't nearly as important as the formulation itself. For instance "Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser" which is known to be very good for acneic skin, has a very comedogenic ingredient known as "Sodium Laureth Sulfate". Why doesn't it break you out? Formulation is the answer. It is also dependent on how your skin is...For one an ingredient may help and for another it may invoke the apocalypse on your skin. Best way is to try recommended products first and use process of elimination...It is a bitch I know but there isn't any clear cut answer to how you will react.

Mica is generally considered non-comedogenic, and people who experience irritation or an allergic reaction from it seem to be the minority. Concentration can play a role also; some can wear it in lower concentrations only.

Some people find mica itchy, but that in itself is not a big deal if it is minor. My lac-hydrin five already causes some minor itchy/stinging sensations, so if I itch at all from MMU I wouldn't even know :D

Kaolin clay broke me out like crazy last week. I added some to my mineral makeup.

:(

Mica is fine for my skin. There are some people who are sensitive to it, but it goes down to the concentration of the Mica.