Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Apple_Blossem

I'm starting a 1 week fruit diet - to see if there's a change in my acne

I'm went to primary care and they put me on Doxicycline (whatever its called) for 3 months. I had forgotten how bad my acne truly is when I stop taking B5, MSM and everything else I use to keep it livable.

I didnt fill my prescription for two days, and every pore on my face filled with lumps of sebum so large that many got infected on the second day. Some were large enough to be cysts and nodular. Its scary to wonder what I'd look like without medication for 1 week.

I'm going to go on a 1 week fruit diet to see if there is a change in my skin. No grains, dairy, crackers, chemicals, etc.

If I see the slightest difference, I'll lengthen the diet.

I'm also starting acupuncture (it keeps my skin beautifully clear when I'm on it!)... but that will take 6 weeks to "kick in" and take effect. Until then, I'll see if my diet affects it.

Has anyone tried this?

I haven't tried this personally however my advice is that if this is something new to you and you are used to eating crappy foods then a one week fruit diet may be a total shock to the system. You might want to cut things out gradually over the course of a week then maybe do a 3 day fruit/juice plan making sure you get a good level of minerals and vitamins. My personal opinion is that crash plans or diets don't work you need to adopt a change gradually and at your own pace.

I hope you get some success. Hadn't heard of acupuncture for acne before...

I wouldn't just stick to fruit on it's own, although i have heard of some body builders doing exactly that "just to prove people wrong".

I'd throw in some veg and nuts to go along with your fruit - check this out (just don't show it the paleo people - they may get angry there's no meat in there)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truthabo.../evodiet2.shtml

just go with the foods that are the least inflammatory and avoid anything that usually has a high intolerance rating.

Good Luck! and i'm not being patronising unlike some :)

I agree. I don't see any harm in eating veg along with the fruit.

AppleBlossem, I'm really sorry to hear what you've been going through. :strongsad: I know what you mean about it being scary to imagine what it would be like without meds. I worry about that sometimes. When I try to do nothing to see what happens, I don't manage to go more than two weeks without putting something on my face.

Have you tried accutane? I've always avoided it, but I might pluck up the courage to do it some day if my latest regimen gets me nowhere. It sounds like your problem is a lot of oil production, so maybe it would work for you.

I agree with those who are saying to add veggies and nuts/seeds to the fruit - or at least just veggies if you don't want to do nuts/seeds, and absolutely you can't go wrong with adding leafy greens. How about doing lots of green smoothies?

I highly encourage you to do this, but it is hard. I have tried before and gone for 5-7 days on a few occasions, usually just on one fruit or a couple. It definitely helps, but it is not long term sustainable, and I always give in before I get completely clear, then end up binging. You just need to have fat and protein else you get so sick and weak and hungry. The nuts and seeds would be a good idea if you don't want meat/fish, but then your still adding potential allergens or whatever with each food you add, so best to keep as simple as possible. It really is a dilemma, good luck.

Good idea, I'll throw in some raw cucumbers and maybe some red peppers. I'm trying to avoid nuts as well, since ppl have allergies to those...and perhaps I have an allergy to peanuts or nuts in general and that is causing my dillema :P. I want my diet as simple as possible so that it has a chance to clear up if I have some sort of strange allergy.

So far, I feel fine eating grapes and raspberries. I ate a box of raw mushrooms for lunch :P. I feel like a garden rabbit :P.

I can already tell that I might lose a few pounds on this idea, since fruit is mostly water, LOL. But that's good. I wanted to lose 5 pounds anyway. hehe

I went diet for a week , it helped me alot!!!

my small acne on my back is gone is not itchy anymore!! :P

on my face i don't get acne anymore

the red spot is going away... my face looks very clear from far away..

but near can see my scars... >_>

i only eat good foods

bread + eggs with onions , brown rice , apples ... thats it

gonna buy carrots etc tomorrow. healthy food

cause this really helps.. i also do exercise.

i actually tried the all fruit thing for 3 weeks; i didn't notice much of a difference right away; however, after the 3 weeks I did not go back to eating the way I used to; I continued with a very strict diet for months (no dairy, grains, nuts, alcohol) which helped reduce my acne by about 50%.... at times i was about 90% clear but could and then i would start cheating on the diet a little bit here and there and the situation would become worse again.... then i would start freaking out and being more strict about the diet and things would improve... and i've been in this vicious circle for about 8 months.....

the problem for me is that if I don't keep a super strict diet then acne goes bad pretty quickly... even if I eat fruit, veg, and chicken/fish for many weeks; I could go to a mexican restaurant one evening and then the coming days my face would start showing it..... i don't mind eating healthy, but the fact that I cannot be "bad" every once in a while is pretty annoying...

btw; I had one of those food intolerance tests done (it cost me £250) which basically said i'm intollerant to everything under the sun - wheat, gluten, all dariy, all nuts, beef, lamb, pork, yeast... I find that very surprising and wonder what's going on with my digestive sytem... i'm going to go to my doctor with the test results and see if he is interested to investigate...

also - when i did the 3 week fruit thing i did it based on an actual fruit regime recommended by some doctor in bulgaria.... and basically you alternate fruit and herbal tea every 2 hrs (so you eat fruit every 4 hrs)... you start the day with herbal tea; and you have your last portion of fruit at 6pm..... also, in a given meal I was only allowed to eat one type of fruit (no mixing was allowed).... no veg was allowed at all..... the idea is that fruit is the easiest thing to digest hence your body spends minimum amnt of energy for digestion and all other energy for "curing" itself of whatever is wrong with you.... supposedly people have cured themselves of all kinds of conditions doing this diet for 1 month......

the problem for me is that if I don't keep a super strict diet then acne goes bad pretty quickly... even if I eat fruit, veg, and chicken/fish for many weeks; I could go to a mexican restaurant one evening and then the coming days my face would start showing it..... i don't mind eating healthy, but the fact that I cannot be "bad" every once in a while is pretty annoying...

I don't think most people understand how strict you have to be to get good results.

I don't consider myself strict. When I'm at home, I eat a mostly vegan diet and usually eat very well. However, if I'm out with a friend, and I want to eat a chocolate cheesecake, I will! Sometimes it's fun to have a treat, and I enjoy food too much not to try new things now and then when I'm out. (I would *not* do this everyday though!! And, I wouldn't do this if it created cravings for me - I can eat something bad but then been just fine with eating steamed veggies later. I think for some, eating sugar, for example, triggers strong cravings, so if that were the case, then it would be best to avoid sugar.) I also eat lots of blended leafy greens everyday, and lots of vegetables, which I think allows me to eat not too healthful foods now and then. If I were to go overboard on junk food, then I would be badly effected, but as long as I keep it in low moderation and am sure to eat lots of nutritious foods that same day, it's fine. I think as long as you eat a 90% healthful diet that most people will do okay.

I don't think most people understand how strict you have to be to get good results.

I don't consider myself strict. When I'm at home, I eat a mostly vegan diet and usually eat very well. However, if I'm out with a friend, and I want to eat a chocolate cheesecake, I will! Sometimes it's fun to have a treat, and I enjoy food too much not to try new things now and then when I'm out. (I would *not* do this everyday though!! And, I wouldn't do this if it created cravings for me - I can eat something bad but then been just fine with eating steamed veggies later. I think for some, eating sugar, for example, triggers strong cravings, so if that were the case, then it would be best to avoid sugar.) I also eat lots of blended leafy greens everyday, and lots of vegetables, which I think allows me to eat not too healthful foods now and then. If I were to go overboard on junk food, then I would be badly effected, but as long as I keep it in low moderation and am sure to eat lots of nutritious foods that same day, it's fine. I think as long as you eat a 90% healthful diet that most people will do okay.

yeah im trying to get a better grasp on that. my problem is when i finally have something "bad" i totally cave and go on a junk frenzy that lasts for a few days.

^ Yes! Having frozen veggies around makes it *so* easy, and when I steam veggies, I usually use frozen veggies. Literally, I just fill a pan with some water, put the steamer on top, open a 1 lb bag of veggies, pour them in (or do a mixture of different veggie bags), add some minced garlic, steam for 15-20 minutes on a low heat, and then add butter buds, seasonings, nut butter or a nut sauce. Yum! I use frozen veggies when I make soups too, and when I do green smoothies, blended salads or regular salads, I usually use pre-washed greens. haha I'm trying to get better about using other greens though as well like kale, bok choy (this is awesome in soup!), collards, etc.

Butter Buds are the flavor of butter without the fat and cholesterol. http://www.butterbuds.com/

^ Yes! Having frozen veggies around makes it *so* easy, and when I steam veggies, I usually use frozen veggies. Literally, I just fill a pan with some water, put the steamer on top, open a 1 lb bag of veggies, pour them in (or do a mixture of different veggie bags), add some minced garlic, steam for 15-20 minutes on a low heat, and then add butter buds, seasonings, nut butter or a nut sauce. Yum! I use frozen veggies when I make soups too, and when I do green smoothies, blended salads or regular salads, I usually use pre-washed greens. haha I'm trying to get better about using other greens though as well like kale, bok choy (this is awesome in soup!), collards, etc.

Butter Buds are the flavor of butter without the fat and cholesterol. http://www.butterbuds.com/

This is comforting, but bad advice for many. It's this "you can cheat" attitude that keeps a lot of people here still getting acne. Of course it's going to vary based on the person and their situation.

BTW, what kind of results are you getting? Do you have any pictures?