Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NovemberNight

Mikael's Accutane Log

Howdy folks.

I'm Mikael (I reckon the Swedish spelling of my name is a bit unorthodox for you English speakers). I'm 20 years old and live in Stockholm, capital of Sweden.

I'll get right down to business. I've been struggling with a mild (sometimes more severe) acne for about five years now. The acne is mainly an issue on the back of my shoulders and on my cheeks, and during the last two years also a lot on my forehead.

I have no scars, although I have dark marks which the bigger bastards have left after they ravaged my skin over the years. So that's mainly a cosmetical thing and my dermatologist says they will indeed go away pretty soon. And I know they will, for I've seen those marks disappear really fast throughout history. It's just a matter of preventing new bums from appearing.

I've tried most prescription free drugs (like ProActive, Clearasil, Stioxyl and so forth). I read about Accutane on the web about two months ago and decided that I want this shit to end right now (or, well, soon), so I went to an ordinary doctor and told him about my issues. He prescribed Differine (english spelling?) and Tetralysal (an antibiotic) which I would be on for 3 months. He also referred me to a dermatologist.

I knew from the start I didn't want the temporary solution which is antibiotics. I wanted ACCUTANE! I was afraid the Tetralysal would make my acne temporarily go away and make the derm reluctant to prescribe me Accutane a month later, so I didn't take the antibiotics, yet when I met the dermatologist I told her I was taking it and that it had no effect.

This little deception worked perfectly. I met her (the derm) for the first time two weeks ago. She took me off the antibiotics the other doctor had prescribed and put me on Finacea (an antibacterial gel) for one week. Then, this monday, she prescribed 100 pills of 20mg Accutane and I'm supposed to be on 40mg a day for one month, after which she'll check my blood status and if the results are ok she'll increase the dose. Hopefully I'll be on it for 6 months. I weigh 75kg.

I realize, after reading some other logs here, that I've been fortunate to find a derm who doesn't have a problem with prescribing Accutane. She's really cool about it and says that she's been a derm for 30 years and the panic surrounding Accutane is in major parts exaggerated.

So yeah, took my first two pills on monday, it's now wednesday. My face is looking fairly decent with no actives at the moment (I think I owe it to the Finacea gel) but I have to use skin coloured foundation to cover the marks from previous breakouts. The back of my shoulders are pretty bad though, with a few actives and indeed lots of marks.

I'm REALLY REALLY hoping I won't get any bad IB's. In fact, I'm hoping for no side effects whatsoever except for the dryness which is necessary. I work out at the gym 4 days a week so I especially hope there won't be any muscle aches or similar.

I've got a lotion called Propyless to keep my skin moisty, and a lip balm called Locobase Repair for when my lips starts to dry out.

This log is for myself to keep track of my progress/decline and for anyone who's interested in knowing about it.

So here we go... *fastens seatbelt*

Hey Mikael!:D

I really can relate to your problems with mild acne, that sometimes can be severe.. We share much of the same story, with using most of the prescription free drugs, antibiotics and still have the same skin after the treatments...:/ It's depressing..

I hope roaccutan can be the solution for you, and at the same time be mild with it's side effects. Actually I'm starting with the same dose myself today, 40mg, and I'm stoked about finally getting Roacctuan(accutane):D

I'll try to check out your log as often as I can, to se how it works out for you!:) And maybe even start an own log after a while:)

Anyway, good luck from a neighbour in Norway!:D

Hey Mikael!:D

I really can relate to your problems with mild acne, that sometimes can be severe.. We share much of the same story, with using most of the prescription free drugs, antibiotics and still have the same skin after the treatments...:/ It's depressing..

I hope roaccutan can be the solution for you, and at the same time be mild with it's side effects. Actually I'm starting with the same dose myself today, 40mg, and I'm stoked about finally getting Roacctuan(accutane):D

I'll try to check out your log as often as I can, to se how it works out for you!:) And maybe even start an own log after a while:)

Anyway, good luck from a neighbour in Norway!:D

Hej Mikael!:D

How's it going with you?:) Experienced any side effects?

Do you see any changes on your skin?:)

Btw, is it full winter in Sweden now?;p

Gah, my internet connection at home is messed up so I haven't been able to post until now when I'm at work.

Kjelli, nah it's still autumn here. Though we did get some snow yesterday, but it melted away pretty quickly and now it's raining again! Thought I saw some snow over Norway on the weather forecast yesterday, tho. Is that correct?

What's your Accutane status? Coming along nicely?

Day 8: Hmm, not sure if I'm actually experiencing any side effects or not. All in all, my skin is clearing up with every passing day, which seems a bit odd. I did, however, get one new pimple on my left cheek and one on my right cheek just yesterday, and they're sort of under the skin both of them. Don't know if this is the beginning of an IB. I have a few on my forehead as well, but they're minor things and not much of a concern.

I did get a few new ones on my back. Again, not sure if I can call it an IB, but yeah.

My face is indeed getting a bit dry, but I keep it moisturized. Not sure if my lips are dry because I keep them embalmed all the time. I've noticed some back pains just before I'm about to go to sleep and lie down, but I've had that from time to time before so I can't yet say if the Accutane's behind it all.

And a quick thought: I'm going to China and I'm staying there for about a week. I'm leaving on wednesday. Wonder if it's a problem to take Accutane with you, I mean: do you have to index it and tell them you have it so they don't think it's drugs at the airport?

Day 9: Ok, I'm definitely experiencing back pains already. When I bend over and then rise back up my back hurts pretty bad. Can such an effect really come this fast? I've had the same type of pain before, but not to this extent...

I got two new big ones. One on my left temple and one on my left temple. But I hope they're going away soon. The two ones I got under the skin on my cheeks are still there, but they're on their way down. Other than that I am indeed getting more and more dry, especially on my cheeks. Good sign!

In other news: yay! I'm going to China tomorrow!

Day 10: Seriously, this back ache is *not* welcome. When I lie down or rise up after having bent down I have this eerie ache in the lower areas of my back. I can't yet be sure of whether the Accutane's causing it or not, but even if it is I won't tell my doctor cause I won't risk her taking me off Accutane.

At the moment my skin is pretty calm. Got two new pimples on my forehead, but they're nothing special. The pimple on my left cheek is almost gone but the one on my right has reached its "climax" today. *sigh* No real changes on the back of my shoulders yet, so patience is required.

My face is getting very dry, but I have a good lotion. My lips seem normal, though.

I won't be writing again until next week when I'm home again from China. Toodles!

It's good to hear that your face is clearing up each passing day:) But it's sad to hear that you have experienced back pains already...:( Let's hope it will dissapear soon!:)

yeah, we actually have some snow in Norway, but I think it will rain away during this weekend:/ Can't wait till the real winter comes by!:D

Anyways, I wish you a great trip to China, enjoy yourself!:D And I can't wait to hear about your progress when you get home again:)

Heidå!;p

It's good to hear that your face is clearing up each passing day:) But it's sad to hear that you have experienced back pains already...:( Let's hope it will dissapear soon!:)

yeah, we actually have some snow in Norway, but I think it will rain away during this weekend:/ Can't wait till the real winter comes by!:D

Anyways, I wish you a great trip to China, enjoy yourself!:D And I can't wait to hear about your progress when you get home again:)

Heidå!;p

Day 17: Two new spots on my forehead. They're not the end of the world - I'll manage and they'll probably go away pretty soon.

I think my eyes are drying out a bit. I'm constantly feeling irritated in my eyes, and I just want to close them and go to sleep. They're becoming somewhat red as well. I bought some eye moisturizing drops at the pharmacy which hopefully will help.

Day 20: my face is relatively calm (knock on wood) with only two actives. The dryness has come to stay, it seems, and I have to moisturize a lot to avoid the dryness becoming visible.

My main concern at the moment is the redness of my eyes. I think they're getting dry from the accutane, and thus they turn red. I've tried eye drops but to little avail. I might have to start drinking some more water?

My main concern at the moment is the redness of my eyes. I think they're getting dry from the accutane, and thus they turn red. I've tried eye drops but to little avail. I might have to start drinking some more water?

Yes, you should probably drink about an extra liter of water more than you usually do. Do they have Nalgene bottles in Sweden? Meh, it doesn't matter... just get a bottle and carry it around with you all the time and take a sip every few minutes. You should even do this when not on tane. People don't drink enough water these days.

Also... like all things, all eye drops are not created equal. The best I've found are Clear Eyes Cool Lubricating Eye Drops. They feel excellent. With normal contact lens eyedrops I need four of five drops a day, with the Lubricating drops I only need one or two. Anyways, not sure if they have them over there.

Good luck!

Day 27: My skin is clearing up very nicely. I do have a few actives, but my skin has become smooth in a way it hasn't been for ages. I've always had very uneven skin with lots of little marks, plus the bigger pimples, but at the moment it seems I'm on the right track. I do, however, have a really big pimple under the skin on my right cheek, which is my only concern at the moment. It's on its way down now, though. I attribute some of the success to the very recommendable gel Finacea (I'm using it in the morning and before I go to bed).

I've been feeling very tired, experiencing the mandatory dryness and I still have back pains, although I've learned to cope with them, so I've returned to the gym once again.

I have my derm appointment in 5 days. Left some blood 2 days ago and the results will be there on thursday. That's when I'll know if I can increase my dose to 60mg/day, which I think I want. Haven't decided yet, mainly because of the back pains. I don't really want more of it, which I presume 60mg will result in.

Toodles!

One month down! Congrats. Let us know how it goes, and what your doctor thinks about the boost.

I don't think you'll necessarily get it, simply because this is a proportion-based drug (i.e., bigger people get more). 20 mg is a huge increase.

Still, GL!

Hej Mikael!

It's good to read that you are clearing up. And I'm sure it will continue clearing up until the end of the cure;) I hope the back pains ain't to bad? Do you think they will go away, or do you need to lower the dose to get them away??

I really hope the pain will let go on you, so you can train in the gym and enjoy your life:D

Btw, how are you doing on your Christmas-shopping?;p

Sydnor, thanks for the words of encouragement. Fortunately, I did get my dose upped, but I do indeed agree that it's a very big increase.

Kjelli, hey mate! Back pains are gone, face is completely clear and, well, life is great :D Not much else to report other than my increase to 60mg. Christmas shopping is going very well, since I did most of it in China! I don't take christmas too seriously though, and next year I'll buy trees in the rain forests instead of things to people. Saving trees feels like a more responsible and envoronmentally sustainable christmas present than perfume/toys. I don't like the whole consumerism that nowadays surrounds christmas. How's your shopping going?

Day 32: Ah, life is good. My face is now as smooth as I could wish for at this stage of the treatment. It's really showing progress, and I just want to sit and touch my smooth cheeks all day long hehe. No active pimples and no signs of any upcoming ones either. So I'm very clear at the moment. Also, my back pain seems to have disappeared (knock on wood) and that's great. It really was getting annoying.

And for the big news: I had my appointment with my dermatologist today. She said my blood values were, and I quote: "excellent". Furthermore she said that I was showing real progress and that I'm responding very well to the treatment. I just wanted to hug her for helping me with the nightmare that is acne.

She increased my dose to 60mg/day, which I said I definitely wanted. I didn't bring up the earlier back pains I had experienced, seeing how that would be a stupid thing to do now that they seem to have gone away.

All in all a glorious day!

Hey glad to see you are doing so well. You give me results to aspire to in a month. BTW Mikael is a really cool name...well, I guess it's pronounced like Michael, but the spelling is cool, anyway, hehe.

Hey glad to see you are doing so well. You give me results to aspire to in a month. BTW Mikael is a really cool name...well, I guess it's pronounced like Michael, but the spelling is cool, anyway, hehe.

Day 50: I'm very slow when it comes to updating here, and for that I'm sorry. But to be honest not much has happened. I still have two actives, which seems to be the constant number at this stage of the treatment. And it's awesome, cause the rest of my face is smoothening out so well. It's really amazing, and I'll knock on wood just in case :D

Back pains come and go but are not as frequent now as they were three weeks ago and the dryness is here to stay permanently throughout the treatment.

Haven't noticed any significant new reactions after upping myself from 40mg to 60mg.

Merry christmas everyone!

Day 60: yay, two months done! A landmark indeed! From this point I've been told by my derm that I'm *really* going to start to see results because now the accutane is really in my body doing what it does best: heal the spirit :)

Had a medium IB last week, which was kinda annoying. On the bright side it was christmas holidays so I didn't have to go out and face people, and now they're all gone (it's amazing how fast accutane kills the pimples in the face compared to how long they could stay active back in the days).

Right now I have two actives which are dying, and if no new pop up I'll be clear by the end of this week.

No back pains anymore (YAY). My nose is very dry and chapped on the inside. Kinda hurts (note that this isn't nosebleeds, just a very sensitive skin inside my nose breaking up a bit). My eyes are red from time to time though, but with the miracle substance Clear Eyes Drops that's easily solved (highly recommended for any of you with red eyes due to the dryness of the accutane). Also have to drink a *lot* of water. I find myself entirely dried out without the proper amount of water during a day. Lip balm stays in my inventory all day long, but recently I heard that if you overuse lip balm during the treatment, your lips may become addicted and thus remain dry, if unlucky, for the rest of your life. So I'm going to cut down on it a bit.

Day 75: No one ever said I was a good updater :D But here it comes!

Damn, time moves fast. In 15 days I will have completed half the treatment. I'm really seeing good results, my face is clearing a bit more every day. I had an IB about one week ago, which made me a bit disappointed because I thought that when I had passed the magical 2 month milestone I would be clear, but I'm setting that milestone at 3 months sharp instead.

My back has no actives and hasn't had them in a long while. I just have marks there which will fade in time. It feels like my face is calm now and I can't see any signs of new actives except maybe one on my forehead, but that's manageable. THe sensation of touching my skin and feeling something soft, almost smooth is just amazing. That hasn't happened since I was like 13. It's REALLY nice!

My back pains are gone, but have been replaced with very sensitive eyes. If it's windy outside I practically have to close my eyes and walk around semi-looking. My eyes also get very red and irritated when I'm inside, so I have to use my special eyedrops (without them I wouldn't want to look anyone in the eyes). Overall I'm very dry and need to drink loads of water.

I'm working out as usual at the gym and haven't noticed any muscular issues except for my wrists being a bit sore. At first I thought I'd broken some small wrist bone, but now I'm pretty sure it's the accutane and it'll go away when I'm finished with my treatment.

Lastly, I went to my derm two days ago, and she said my values were excellent. So she's keeping me on 60mg/day and from now on I don't have to see her every month and I don't have to give blood samples until March. In the beginning of March I will report back to her and she will check on my progress. So yeah, Accutane rocks! :) Take care, darlings.