Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
calla lily

Growing your own food

I've always wanted to go organic. I mean, most foods have chemicals and preservatives added, and we already are exposed to enough chemicals everyday. We can't be completely free of chemicals and such, but we can sure as hell try. I know organic is pretty expensive, but a good alternative would be for one to grow his own food. That way, he can grow whatever he wants to eat and it wouldn't make that much of a dent in the bank. Anyone can grow their own food, so now there's really no excuse for people who whine about the nutritious foods being too expensive and whatnot. You don't even need a garden to grow stuff--you can use pots and put them on window sills.

Why now grow your own?

I already have a few things growing in my yard such as tomatoes, plums, and chili peppers. My relatives also grow apples, persimmons, limes and lemons, oranges, basil, mint, pomegranates, and some other things. Now I don't have to buy all those things at the supermarket, and they're fresher and better tasting, too. :)

What if you live in a 500 sq ft apartment with no balcony? Or an 8x10 bedroom in a suite with one window? Not EVERYONE can grow their own. And you have to plant a lot to get enough to actually feed you for a season, so it's not necessarily cost effective (not to mention you'd have to have a huge yard and a lot of time to grow that much of anything).

Of course, it's a great option if you can. I just think the notion that "anyone" can do it and no one has an excuse not to if they can't afford organics is untrue.

What if you live in a 500 sq ft apartment with no balcony? Or an 8x10 bedroom in a suite with one window? Not EVERYONE can grow their own. And you have to plant a lot to get enough to actually feed you for a season, so it's not necessarily cost effective (not to mention you'd have to have a huge yard and a lot of time to grow that much of anything).

Of course, it's a great option if you can. I just think the notion that "anyone" can do it and no one has an excuse not to if they can't afford organics is untrue.

Also, many things ripen at once, so you really have to learn to eat foods in season. You also have to find learn to preserve.

And even if you have a yard, you might not have optimal sun exposure and such. I don't.

But yeah, a lot more people could be using that wasted space we call the suburban front yard.

Last time I checked the uni dorms didn't offer garden plots on the quadrangle...

On the other hand, if you go to a progressive college, no doubt they'd be willing to let you grow a little garden in containers if you take good care of it.

In my apartment days (my second or third apartment) I was very lucky and had great sun exposure on my front porch. I made an indoor greenhouse type thing with grow lights and all and grew tomatoes, peppers, herbs, impatiens and cosmos and nasturtiums from seedlings. When they were big enough, I set them outside in containers. The tomatoes got a wicker laundry basket that I lined with a plastic sheet. Worked great and looked cool. But the birds ate more tomatoes than I did.