Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~Aubrey~

I can't believe what I read about Benzoyl Peroxide

If you can't believe everything you read on the infernet, then why should I believe were you got your information from? The link to your journal article doesn't say anything. They are all opinions. I believe all what you are saying is your opinion and you believe were I got my information is my opinion. There are always people who will say different things. So you just have to chose who you want to believe. I would rather take the alternative to benzoyl peroxide to be on the safe side and not have to worry about whether or not the benzoyl peroxide is damaging my skin or not. I don't understand why I can just believe what I want and let people who read this message about benzoyl peroxide believe what they want too.

i personally hate bp. if there is even a slim chance that this is true then why even take the chance. for me- it never worked anyway-actually made my acne worse and turn into cystic acne. i looked horrible the whole time i was using it.i will never use it again. even if its true about the bp not causing tumors but making already existing tumors grow- thats still not very reassuring in my eyes.

Remember it was ONE study with hairless mice who were genetically bred to develop tumors. These results were never replicated and the study is 20 years old. A well formulated BP won't turn your acne cystic either. There are some cheap drug store forumulations that have pore clogging ingredients though, and also contain irritants. Users of BP should watch out for those.

If you can't believe everything you read on the infernet, then why should I believe were you got your information from? The link to your journal article doesn't say anything. They are all opinions. I believe all what you are saying is your opinion and you believe were I got my information is my opinion. There are always people who will say different things. So you just have to chose who you want to believe. I would rather take the alternative to benzoyl peroxide to be on the safe side and not have to worry about whether or not the benzoyl peroxide is damaging my skin or not. I don't understand why I can just believe what I want and let people who read this message about benzoyl peroxide believe what they want too.

i personally hate bp. if there is even a slim chance that this is true then why even take the chance. for me- it never worked anyway-actually made my acne worse and turn into cystic acne. i looked horrible the whole time i was using it.i will never use it again. even if its true about the bp not causing tumors but making already existing tumors grow- thats still not very reassuring in my eyes.

Remember it was ONE study with hairless mice who were genetically bred to develop tumors. These results were never replicated and the study is 20 years old. A well formulated BP won't turn your acne cystic either. There are some cheap drug store forumulations that have pore clogging ingredients though, and also contain irritants. Users of BP should watch out for those.

the one i was using was the neutrogena 2.5% bp which was recommended by dan.

:shrug: Well.... haha I dont need s study to tell me BP ages skin.... it happened to me dudes and dudettes.... I couldnt smile properly for liek 7 months because it dried my skinout so bad and I would get bad laugh lines from the dehydration... BP RUINED about 9 months of my life.... sorry to say... it jsut did... just my experience... sorry to be so dramatic but it WAS dramatic, I cried every night for a long time... I had to go to therapy... I'm NOT joking... maybe it was just a BIG deal to me.... but maybe ti would be ca big deal to oother people who cant smile for 7 months because they're afraid of getting wrinkles. It was awful....

:shrug: Well.... haha I dont need s study to tell me BP ages skin.... it happened to me dudes and dudettes.... I couldnt smile properly for liek 7 months because it dried my skinout so bad and I would get bad laugh lines from the dehydration... BP RUINED about 9 months of my life.... sorry to say... it jsut did... just my experience... sorry to be so dramatic but it WAS dramatic, I cried every night for a long time... I had to go to therapy... I'm NOT joking... maybe it was just a BIG deal to me.... but maybe ti would be ca big deal to oother people who cant smile for 7 months because they're afraid of getting wrinkles. It was awful....

This study wasn't about BP aging skin - it was about whether it caused cancer. BP will dry your skin, but dry skin does not = aged skin. And your skin will not age in such a short period of time. You were probably experiencing skin dehydration and dryness - which are common side effects from BP. Many people err because they use a product too often in the beginning or a product that is too strong. There are many methods that can get your skin used to the BP while minimizing the dryness and irritation. I was able to use 10% BP with my esthetician's method for getting the skin adapted to the BP. Using that and glycolic acid, she got my skin clear in 2 months. I now use 5% BP only on my chin and I have stayed clear over 95% of the time since then. No aging effects either, and I have been using BP for a year and a half. I actually got mistaken for being 25 at age 37....

This study wasn't about BP aging skin - it was about whether it caused cancer. BP will dry your skin, but dry skin does not = aged skin. And your skin will not age in such a short period of time. You were probably experiencing skin dehydration and dryness - which are common side effects from BP. Many people err because they use a product too often in the beginning or a product that is too strong. There are many methods that can get your skin used to the BP while minimizing the dryness and irritation. I was able to use 10% BP with my esthetician's method for getting the skin adapted to the BP. Using that and glycolic acid, she got my skin clear in 2 months. I now use 5% BP only on my chin and I have stayed clear over 95% of the time since then. No aging effects either, and I have been using BP for a year and a half. I actually got mistaken for being 25 at age 37....

I think BP reacts differently with different people's skin... on my skin.... it was fine for about 7 months.... I used DAn's meathod applying it twice a day everyday. I followed everything right, moisturized well.... all that good stuff.... I was havign a great time with clear skin for 7 months... THEN it all hit me at once.... the wrinkles... and the crazy redness... after the 7 months of being on BP my skin somehow changed and reacted badly to it.... I felt like my face was shrivelling up like a raisin... I stopped using BP and even 7 MONTHS LATER of NOT using any BP at all... I STILL had issues smiling because it felt like my face was going to crack. I"m glad BP can work for some people and clear some people's acne without causing them issues :) That's awesome that you look 25 when you are 37 Willow :). I am just saying it doenst work that way for everyone... for me.... BP was horrifying... I thought I was in a nightmare and couldnt wake up.... I wouldnt go outside, I wouldnt smile.... I made my family miserable... and my social life deteriorated... I have never experienced somethign so devastating. I got depressed and cried everyday. PLUS the initial break out after quitting BP... OY VAY!! YIKES!! Ugh.... anyway, I dont mean to be such a downer I just need people to know of my experience so that they can be warned... I have no idea if maybe I was like one in a million that this happens to.... but feeling like I CANT smile or laugh....UGH AWFUL.

I think BP reacts differently with different people's skin... on my skin.... it was fine for about 7 months.... I used DAn's meathod applying it twice a day everyday. I followed everything right, moisturized well.... all that good stuff.... I was havign a great time with clear skin for 7 months... THEN it all hit me at once.... the wrinkles... and the crazy redness... after the 7 months of being on BP my skin somehow changed and reacted badly to it.... I felt like my face was shrivelling up like a raisin... I stopped using BP and even 7 MONTHS LATER of NOT using any BP at all... I STILL had issues smiling because it felt like my face was going to crack. I"m glad BP can work for some people and clear some people's acne without causing them issues :) That's awesome that you look 25 when you are 37 Willow :). I am just saying it doenst work that way for everyone... for me.... BP was horrifying... I thought I was in a nightmare and couldnt wake up.... I wouldnt go outside, I wouldnt smile.... I made my family miserable... and my social life deteriorated... I have never experienced somethign so devastating. I got depressed and cried everyday. PLUS the initial break out after quitting BP... OY VAY!! YIKES!! Ugh.... anyway, I dont mean to be such a downer I just need people to know of my experience so that they can be warned... I have no idea if maybe I was like one in a million that this happens to.... but feeling like I CANT smile or laugh....UGH AWFUL.

Sorry to hear that you had the bad reaction - I don't doubt that you did. I just wanted to point out that it wasn't actually aging your skin in that short a time period. Drying it out and irritation - yes definitely that can most definitely happen to some people. Aging takes a little longer than that to happen though! :)

I just don't want people who are successfully using BP to be scared off by this thread. If it is working for them, and they are not getting excessive irritation, dryness, or they are not allergic they should not be afraid to keep using it.

Cancer? ….CANCER! What the! If this is true the HOW on earth is this being sold over the counter! I’m aware of some of the damage chemicals can do, but this is terrifying! I don’t won’t to die because I paid attention to a misinformed website explained explicitly BP was completely harmless! I researched BP before using it and got it from a normal chemist, no prescription. I’m confused by the argument here, could someone please explain who is right?

There are lots of things that are sold "ove rthe counter" that can cause cancer or other health issues.... jthey are ust in small amounts.... Cigarettes for example haha... although they have warnings on them.... BUt do the packages of deli meat with nitrites in them talk about how nitrites can cause damage to your brain? DO they put warnings on veggies that are sprayed with pesticides? NO... becuase they are all insmall amounts... however... consumed over time... can probably cause health issues later on in life. It's all about HOW much you use.... YES if you use 100% BP you're goina have issues lol...But I also beleive because of personal experience that BP isnt the greatest thing to be putting on your skin... Doctors tell you NOT to use it while you are pregnant... ummm I wonder why?? Haha.... YES I know a developing baby is much smaller and more at risk than us and blah blah blah.... but WHY woudl be even want to expose ourselves to something that could potentially be dangerous if we have a choice. I have made a choice to not use BP. BUt that's just me... not everyone thinks like me... Lots of people on here have had lots of success with BP without any issues...so why would they want to quit haha... I just chose to quit because I feel healthier and Iw ant to be able to smile haha. This is just MY opinion though guys.

Sorry to hear that you had the bad reaction - I don't doubt that you did. I just wanted to point out that it wasn't actually aging your skin in that short a time period. Drying it out and irritation - yes definitely that can most definitely happen to some people. Aging takes a little longer than that to happen though! :)

I just don't want people who are successfully using BP to be scared off by this thread. If it is working for them, and they are not getting excessive irritation, dryness, or they are not allergic they should not be afraid to keep using it.

YEs I agree... if it's working for you and you havent gotten any bad side effects... why quit? Haha.... I am just concerned about those people who dont have as mcuh success and have alot of issues with it.... I just want them to know thhey are not alone... Acne sucks bad enough... lol having to deal with wrinkles just made it ten times worse.

I'm glad that I found this information about benzoyl peroxide for free on this website, and it is the best information I have found regarding benzoyl peroxide. So now I'm informed to make my own desicion to continue using it or not.

My goodness. If I can be completely honest, I have to say that this is one of the most incredibly ignorant things I have ever read on the internet. It was the "so now I'm informed [because I read a website and didn't care about the original research]" part that made me laugh out loud.

Before I start, I'm not telling you to use BP or not. It's your choice and I respect that. This post is merely addressing the ignorance displayed in your posts.

First off, I'm studying post-grad medicine and can tell you from a scientific stand point that there is a difference between the original peer reviewed journal article and a website which takes that article and publishes facts from it, totally out of context. Due to the level of ignorance in your posts, I'll define what a peer reviewed journal is in simple terms. To get a research published in one, your paper is examined by a team of independent scientists; all PHD holders and usually with decades of experience in their fields. If the research isn't up to scratch (e.g. bias, poor scientific method, bad interpretation of results) it gets sent back to be re-done or edited etc.

Are you sort of starting to now understand the difference between what's published in a website and a journal?

Now if you read a website with quite amazing claims, it would usually be a wise idea to scroll down to their references (a list of journal articles they take this info from) and go and track down that original journal and read it. Maybe they mis-referenced it? Maybe they took their facts out of context? Maybe it was published a long time ago. The article itself was published 1986 (OVER 20 years ago!) and no one has been able to reproduce these results. Please search medline or ovid. In the scientific community, referencing something more than 5 years old gets sketchy.

Now you didn't even bother tracking down the original article. You just read that website and suddenly your eyes have been opened to the glorious truth! And when someone like Willow569 tries to give you the other side of the story by tracking down the original journal this website uses and posting it up here for you, you don't give even so much as a "thankyou".. just more attitude about why you're so right and how this website has opened your eyes.. you don't need to read anything more because everything you read on a website is true!

Take it easy.. willow was just trying to show you the journal that the website was referencing to give you a balanced view of reality. I don't think she was trying to harass you in any way.. so take it easy.

okay, I've used skintactix products before with little success. The topicals are uncomfortable and in my opinion formulated poorly.

This is the "Journal Article" that you all are talking about. From your link.

Enhanced Malignant Progression of Mouse Skin Tumors by the Free-Radical Generator Benzoyl Peroxide1

John F. O'Connell2, Andres J. P. Klein-Szanto, Donna M. DiGiovanni, JoAnn W. Fries and Thomas J. Slaga

The University of Texas System Cancer Center, Science Park-Research Division, Smithville, Texas 78957

Chemical carcinogenesis in mouse skin can be divided into the processes of initiation, promotion, and progression. The free-radical generator benzoyl peroxide is moderately active during the promotion stage. Repetitive treatment of mouse benign skin tumors (papillomas) with benzoyl peroxide (20 mg, twice weekly) increased the number of cumulative carcinomas per group by 325% and the number of keratoacanthomas by 44% compared to tumor-bearing Sencar mice treated with the promoter 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate. The lack of increase in the number of cumulative papillomas per group due to benzoyl peroxide treatment suggests that benzoyl peroxide enhanced the progression of preexisting papillomas. The ability of benzoyl peroxide to enhance the progression of benign tumors to cancer should be considered when determining the human risk from exposure to this widely used chemical agent; in addition, biological assays specifically testing malignant progression may be essential and beneficial for determining an agent's carcinogenic risk.

1 These studies were supported by NIH grants CA-34890, CA-34962, CA-34521, and CA 38863.

2 To whom requests for reprints should be addressed.

Received 11/ 4/85. Revised 2/10/86. Accepted 2/25/86

This is the "Journal Article" that you all are talking about.

Enhanced Malignant Progression of Mouse Skin Tumors by the Free-Radical Generator Benzoyl Peroxide1

John F. O'Connell2, Andres J. P. Klein-Szanto, Donna M. DiGiovanni, JoAnn W. Fries and Thomas J. Slaga

The University of Texas System Cancer Center, Science Park-Research Division, Smithville, Texas 78957

Chemical carcinogenesis in mouse skin can be divided into the processes of initiation, promotion, and progression. The free-radical generator benzoyl peroxide is moderately active during the promotion stage. Repetitive treatment of mouse benign skin tumors (papillomas) with benzoyl peroxide (20 mg, twice weekly) increased the number of cumulative carcinomas per group by 325% and the number of keratoacanthomas by 44% compared to tumor-bearing Sencar mice treated with the promoter 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate. The lack of increase in the number of cumulative papillomas per group due to benzoyl peroxide treatment suggests that benzoyl peroxide enhanced the progression of preexisting papillomas. The ability of benzoyl peroxide to enhance the progression of benign tumors to cancer should be considered when determining the human risk from exposure to this widely used chemical agent; in addition, biological assays specifically testing malignant progression may be essential and beneficial for determining an agent's carcinogenic risk.

1 These studies were supported by NIH grants CA-34890, CA-34962, CA-34521, and CA 38863.

2 To whom requests for reprints should be addressed.

Received 11/ 4/85. Revised 2/10/86. Accepted 2/25/86

Same journal article that I provided the link to (the one I posted is the full journal article though).

Again, if you are a hairless mouse with tumors - avoid bathing in benzoyl peroxide. And again, this study has not been replicated since, which is one of the important ways you can evaluate the generalizability of the findings. If there had been more studies that found this in mice or other animals or studies that found this connection in humans, I would say you had more reason to be concerned. Just trying to put the study in perspective for other board members.

Honestly, I hear stuff like this all the time. Pretty much ANYTHING can cause cancer if used excessively, hell, I even heard broccoli can cause cancer. Moderation is KEY. Don't read too much the study.

All I know about BP is this. It dries my skin out, but nothing some moisturizer can't fix. It makes my skin slightly tanner while its on, but who cares. BP cleared me up better then anything and keeps me about 98% clear 100% of the time. The only reason I HATE BP is because I am a lazy bastard and I hate having to apply it to my face (takes like 5 min).

If any of you are afraid of "cancer". Like it was mentioned before - the amount that we are supposed to be using on the regimen is 2.5% BP. That is probably the lowest concentration of BP containing cream we will ever get! I suggest if any of you are afraid of this so called cancer causing substance, try using it once a day (at night) instead of 2 times. It will lessen the drying and allow your skin to "breathe" during the day. Use a higher spf oil free cream during the day (such as Neutrogena healthy skin face lotion with SPF) I do this and my skin isn't as dry and I can go outside looking decent with makeup instead of flaky.