Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~Aubrey~

I can't believe what I read about Benzoyl Peroxide

Has anyone ever read this? I read this from the skintactix website about the effects of benzoyl peroxide. I read it and I got scared me because I have been using benzoyl peroxide for 5 years now, and I'm still using it. They have another way to treat moderate to severe acne(I have this) and mild acne. It says that a dermatologist and a biochemist that are experts on skin made this stuff. I'm thinking about it. I don't think I'll be able to use benzoyl peroxide anymore after I read this. Has anyone else out their already tried skintactix and can tell me if it worked for them or not?

From: http://www.skintactix.com/benzoyl_peroxide_skin_damage.htm

Benzoyl Peroxide Skin Damage

Benzoyl Peroxide Cautions: Benzoyl peroxide (BP) generates free radicals in the skin. Its effect is similar to unprotected sun exposure. The redness of the skin (erythema), caused by sun exposure and BP, are both the result of free radicals (oxidative stress) upon the skin. Repeated sun exposure or BP use generates free radicals that damage the skin's structure and cellular DNA, resulting in premature aging of the skin. The extent of the damage and aging from BP is determined by the concentration of BP, the frequency of application and the duration of its use.

Because BP generates free radicals it interferes with and slows the healing process. The red and brown marks that are a part of the acne healing process may last weeks longer when BP is a regular part of the daily regimen.

BP has been linked to cancer for a number of years and many research journal entries state "benzoyl peroxide is a free radical-generating skin tumor promoting agent." Performing a word search of the words "benzoyl peroxide cancer" in PubMed in the National Library of Medicine produces 102 articles from medical publications dealing with research aspects of BP and cancer. About two-thirds of the research supports linkage between BP and skin cancer.

"In 1995 the FDA changed benzoyl peroxide from a Category I (safe) to a Category III (safety is uncertain) ingredient and stated this action (56 FR 37622) was based on new information that raised a safety concern regarding benzoyl peroxide as a tumor promoter in mice..." Additionally the FDA charged manufacturers with the responsibility of providing this information to consumers so they could make educated decisions. Many manufacturers and product marketers have not provided this information so consumers can be advised of the potential dangers. A more complete FDA statement is at the bottom of this page, for your reference.

Use of benzoyl peroxide to control acne may involve side effects and risks that should be considered in making decisions on acne treatment. Skintactix has given particular attention to providing effective treatment with no side effects and no benzoyl peroxide.

FDA / Benzoyl Peroxide Action: February 17, 1995

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) / Department of Health and Human Services

"Topical Drug Products Containing Benzoyl Peroxide: Required Labeling"

"The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is proposing additional labeling (warning and directions) for all topically-applied acne treatment drug products containing benzoyl peroxide. The warning advises consumers to avoid unnecessary sun exposure and to use a sunscreen when using a benzoyl peroxide product to treat acne..."

"The agency classified benzoyl peroxide from its previous status Category I to Category III status. This action (56 FR 37622) was based on new information that raised a safety concern regarding benzoyl peroxide as a tumor promoter in mice and a study that reported that benzoyl peroxide has tumor initiation potential."

"FDA evaluated these data and information and determined that the studies show that benzoyl peroxide is a skin tumor promoter in more than one strain of mice as well as in hamsters. To date, topical studies (which have shown only tumor promotion) have been of short duration (about 52 weeks). Although animal data and human epidemiology data are available, the agency has determined that further studies are necessary to adequately assess the tumorigenic potential of benzoyl peroxide. These studies are currently being conducted. The agency acknowledges that it may take several years for these studies to be completed and analyzed, and for the final determination to be made on benzoyl peroxide's safety.

This comes up a lot. Because of that website. Have you noticed that they sell skin care products that don't contain benzoyl peroxide? of course they want you to buy theirs, so they give half the story.

The 'studies' they speak of are conducted with 100% concentrated benzoyl peroxide on hairless mice that are prone to cancer. We as humans aren't hairless mice and we never use 100% benzoyl peroxide.

This comes up a lot. Because of that website. Have you noticed that they sell skin care products that don't contain benzoyl peroxide? of course they want you to buy theirs, so they give half the story.

The 'studies' they speak of are conducted with 100% concentrated benzoyl peroxide on hairless mice that are prone to cancer. We as humans aren't hairless mice and we never use 100% benzoyl peroxide.

How do you know that they use 100% concentrated benzoyl peroxide?

How do you know that they use 100% concentrated benzoyl peroxide?

Details that were provided in the actual reseach study - not the biased interpretation that gets presented on those websites that are trying to sell you alternatives to BP.

The study also said that the mice already had tumors - the BP just caused already existing tumors to grow. These mice were slathered with thousands of times the amout of BP that any human would ever be exposed to.

I don't see anywhere were it says that the mice already had tumors. Can you show me so I can read it? Where is the original documentation?

If whatever concentration of benzoyl peroxide causes those problems, why would I want to use a small concentration of that. It's still bad for your skin.

I don't see anywhere were it says that the mice already had tumors. Can you show me so I can read it? Where is the original documentation.

If whatever amount of benzoyl peroxide causes those problems why would I want to use a small concentration of that. It's still bad for your skin.

It is in a journal article that you have to pay to access the full text to. I'll see if I can find the abstract though. I don't remember exactly what website its on, so it may take a little while. And I wouldn't expect a biased interpretation of this research to have all of the facts correct - they omit details and bend or exaggerate the truth to meet their own needs.

I'm glad that I found this information about benzoyl peroxide for free on this website, and it is the best information I have ever found regarding benzoyl peroxide. So now I can be informed to make my own desicion to continue using it or not.

But the problem is that it is inaccurate information. You can't believe every thing you read on the internet - especially when it is done by someone trying to sell you something. If this was from an unbiased source, or perhaps a scientific journal article, that would be one thing. But, this website is completely misrepresenting the facts of this study. It is makes sense to want all the facts, but make sure you have a clear understanding of the accuracy of those facts, where they came from, who is interpreting them, and what they mean. There has only been the one study done and it was done over 20 years ago. It has not been replicated since. It used a small sample size, and its findings were inconclusive. The mice already had tumors present on their body, the BP did not cause or initiate tumor development. Here is a copy of the journal article.

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/cgi/reprint/46/6/2863

As to the BP generating free radicals - it does do that, but the effects of that are not well established. Excercise also generates free radicals in the body - are you going to stop exercising because of that? Also, acne lesions themselves can damage, scar and age the skin - probably with the potential to cause more damage than BP could ever do.

I would rather take the alternative to benzoyl peroxide to be on the safe side and not have to worry about whether or not the benzoyl peroxide is damaging my skin or not.

If you can't believe everything you read on the infernet, then why should I believe were you got your information from? They are all opinions. There are always people who will say different things. So you just have to chose who you want to believe. I would rather take the alternative to benzoyl peroxide to be on the safe side and not have to worry about whether or not the benzoyl peroxide is damaging my skin or not. I don't understand why I can just believe what I want and let people who read this message about benzoyl peroxide believe what they want too.

there is a big difference between information from a website that is trying to sell you a product and information from a peer-reviewed, scientific journal article. Not all sources of information are created equal. The article link I gave you is the actual research article that the other website you found is interpreting for you. I just thought you might like to read the original source of the information so you could read it yourself. Its just good research practice to go to the original source of the information, rather than letting someone else interpret it for you - that's why I gave you the article.

You are welcome for tracking it down for you BTW....

I generally found benzoyl peroxide to be irritating and drying to the skin which is a good way to age your skin. It is unwise to treat "scientific journals" as an absolute truth, they are paid to produce specific results that usually shine a favorable light on a particular drug. I've always found the prospect of putting any sort of chemical on my face as a bad idea so I understand your concern Aubrey.

Do you know where the information on the Skintactix website came from? I'm sure that it wasn't something that the company selling the products just made up. BTW........can I express the opinions that I believe without you "willow569." Thank You

Believe away; express away. Just mind the board rules. That's all we ask of any member who posts here.

I generally found benzoyl peroxide to be irritating and drying to the skin which is a good way to age your skin. It is unwise to treat "scientific journals" as an absolute truth, they are paid to produce specific results that usually shine a favorable light on a particular drug. I've always found the prospect of putting any sort of chemical on my face as a bad idea so I understand your concern Aubrey.

Actually, I'm pretty sure this study was not funded by the pharmaceutical industry. Sure, science journals are SO much less trustworthy than some company that is trying to sell you products. Yeah right...

BP being drying is hardly the same thing as it causing cancer. Also, drying your skin out does not age it (just as oily skin does not age more slowly).

Do you know where the information on the Skintactix website came from? I'm sure that it wasn't something that the company selling the products just made up. BTW........can I express the opinions that I believe without you "willow569." Thank You

Believe away; express away. Just mind the board rules. That's all we ask of any member who posts here.

Yep, I am just trying to express to other people reading this thread that the information on the site you found is an inaccurate representation of the data, and thought they might like to read it for themselves before freaking out and stopping a medication that may be working very well to keep their skin clear. Did you even bother to read the article to see if you agree with skintactix's interpretation of the data? This isthe study they are referencing - it is the only study that has found any kind of link between BP and cancerous tumors. It is the study that gets cited on lots of "alternative treatment" and "holistic" product websites. There has been no studies at all that link it to cancer in humans.

From the dermatologist and professor who answered questions for the messageboard:

To Professor:

Are there any long term effects from applying BP gel all over your face everyday (like in Dan's Regimen)? Would your skin get discolored or can BP gel contribute to skin cancer? Because i remembered researching about BP gel and people are still questioning whether it can cause cancer or not.

Thank you.

Doctor's Answer(s) To Your Question:

Edited by Volunteer

"It has never been found, through many studies, that BP contributes to skin cancer. However, you may get excessive drying; depending on the levels you use. Make sure you use a great moisturizer and sun block."

Don't even bother trying to convince this guy. From my observations he just sounds like someone from Skintactix trying to sell their product by scaring people off BP. If you even possessed a modicum of common sense you'd understand this couldn't possibly be accurate.

Don't even bother trying to convince this guy. From my observations he just sounds like someone from Skintactix trying to sell their product by scaring people off BP. If you even possessed a modicum of common sense you'd understand this couldn't possibly be accurate.

Oh my god! First, I'm not a guy, and second, yes please don't bother to convince me. On the website the dermatologist and biochemist that are experts on skin are saying this, these are not my own words, and I have a right to believe what I want. I just told you that I have been suffering with acne still for 5 years and I use benzoyl peroxide still to this day, and after I read this I want to get off. I wanted some support from this forum from people who have used any of the skintactix products to see if it worked for them so I could try it, but then I get accused of being a salesperson. Acne suffers don't need to be bashed.

Dont worry about it Aubrey, some people are like that.

Willow wasnt trying to be rude though, she was just trying to show you the real study that was done and put some more truth into this matter.

As for the people calling you a salesperson and such, ignore them, I once before said about a company I really liked and people called me a salesperson or promoter. Its just how people are.

Now as for BP, I personally dont like it either. It has nothing to do with cancer or free radicals, I just personally dont like it. I used it for a couple weeks, 2.5%, and my skin became cracked and actually bled. I was miserable, utterly miserable until my face healed, I went right back to my Derm and she suggested that I stay away from it, my skin just may not be able to handle it. But thats my story, there are plenty of people who have used it and loved it, I dont want to try and turn anyone away from trying BP if they want to.

I dont believe that it causes cancer though, it may generate free radicals, but there are a lot of products out there that do, I dont think they cause cancer though. As for the aging, I know a few people who used it and said their faces got wrinkly from it, I'm actually sorta afraid of that. Plus, I dont feel that treatments are supposed to hurt or do such things to your skin. I'm using stuff right now that doesnt dry me out or bother my skin, it does just the opposite.

Its really all in personal preference. Use what you feel works and you like, if you believe that BP causes cancer and wish to stop using it, I respect that. Whether it does or doesnt, its all in what you believe.

Cancer? ….CANCER! What the! If this is true the HOW on earth is this being sold over the counter! I’m aware of some of the damage chemicals can do, but this is terrifying! I don’t won’t to die because I paid attention to a misinformed website explained explicitly BP was completely harmless! I researched BP before using it and got it from a normal chemist, no prescription. I’m confused by the argument here, could someone please explain who is right?

Its really all in personal preference. Use what you feel works and you like, if you believe that BP causes cancer and wish to stop using it, I respect that. Whether it does or doesnt, its all in what you believe.

This was the comment that annoyed me the most! What are you talking about, if you believe?

THAT isn’t going to stop cancer! If we are promoting something that could kill people, ruin and destroy lives! Then I think we need facts, not some whim that it works for some and not for others!

True, the FDA would have taken it out of the market by now.

Cancer? ….CANCER! What the! If this is true the HOW on earth is this being sold over the counter! I’m aware of some of the damage chemicals can do, but this is terrifying! I don’t won’t to die because I paid attention to a misinformed website explained explicitly BP was completely harmless! I researched BP before using it and got it from a normal chemist, no prescription. I’m confused by the argument here, could someone please explain who is right?

This was the comment that annoyed me the most! What are you talking about, if you believe?

THAT isn’t going to stop cancer! If we are promoting something that could kill people, ruin and destroy lives! Then I think we need facts, not some whim that it works for some and not for others!

Please re-read my posts. There have been NO studies linking BP to cancer in humans and only this single study showing any kind of link in animals. There were many limitations and caveats to this study, as I previously mentioned. They were hairless mice, who ALREADY had tumors. They were repeatedly slathered with 20 mg of BP - that would be like you or I bathing in from head to toe. All the BP did in hairless mice was cause already existing tumors to grow. It did not cause new tumors to develop. This study is the same one that gets repeatedly cited on websites that are generally trying to sell you an alternative product or those "holistic" websites.

If you don't like the results of BP, certainly don't keep using it. Not everyone likes it. However, don't stop using it because of a widely misinterpreted research study. If you also look at the quote from the dermatologist that I provided - she also confirmed that there is no link between BP and skin cancer in humans. I guess you just need to decide if you want to believe the data from the actual scientific journal article AND the advice of a dermatologist or if you want to believe a website that is trying to sell you a product.

Again, not all sources of information are created equal. Anyone who has taken courses in science or research can tell you that.

If you can't believe everything you read on the infernet, then why should I believe were you got your information from? The link to your journal article doesn't say anything. They are all opinions. I believe all what you are saying is your opinion and you believe were I got my information is my opinion. There are always people who will say different things. So you just have to chose who you want to believe. I would rather take the alternative to benzoyl peroxide to be on the safe side and not have to worry about whether or not the benzoyl peroxide is damaging my skin or not. I don't understand why I can just believe what I want and let people who read this message about benzoyl peroxide believe what they want too.

i personally hate bp. if there is even a slim chance that this is true then why even take the chance. for me- it never worked anyway-actually made my acne worse and turn into cystic acne. i looked horrible the whole time i was using it.i will never use it again. even if its true about the bp not causing tumors but making already existing tumors grow- thats still not very reassuring in my eyes.