Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yn512

Can SLS (sodium laurel sulfate) be breaking me out?

Hi, i posted here before about milk but got no real responses.

If you didn't read that, I started breaking out last year for the first time hwen i was 18 years old. I had never used a face wash other than soap in the shower before then, and I would get a very occasional pimple. lucky me.

however, i started breaking out last year only around my mouth and chin. I have tried many, many products and techniques to get rid of it to no avail. now i have a lot of red marks and a couple active pimples at a time.

After a ridiculous amount of thinking, I realized (in my morning rush) that I stopped rinsing my mouth with water after brushing my teeth. I figured there coudln't be anything wrong with toothpaste being left in there (stupid me). I also started getting canker sores last year worse than ever. I had been susceptible to them before in high school, but they got really bad at one point last year. But it seems like Listerine helps prevented them so I started using that most times after I brushed a year ago.

So, sometimes i use toothpaste with SLS when i brush and i don't rinse with anything. Sometimes I only rinse with the listerine, and the listerine sits in my mouth.

So, is it possible that the SLS caused my canker sores AND acne?

also, i read on a couple a sites that mouthwash can trigger acne.

(http://ezinearticles.com/?10-Hidden-Acne-Triggers&id=446091)

so, could it be the listerine that is breaking me out?

thanks. responses are appreciated.

If you read alot of articles and books about acne they say Dairy can be the cause of acne in some people. You can eat yogourt since it helps the body.

SLS is an irritant and can break some ppl out and most products are now removing this out of their line since it can cause allergies.

If you read alot of articles and books about acne they say Dairy can be the cause of acne in some people. You can eat yogourt since it helps the body.

SLS is an irritant and can break some ppl out and most products are now removing this out of their line since it can cause allergies.

thanks, don't think dairy really affects me though, at least doesn't affect me negatively. I drank way more milk in high school when i had clear skin than i do now. Just trying to figure out if its one thing, other than stress, that is triggering it.

I am not sure about mouthwash, it is possible.

SLS is known to cause acne and canker sores. Many people find that once they stop using SLS toothpaste that there canker sores go away. I am pretty sure that Sensodyne does not contain SLS, but you will have to check on that.

SLS in your mouth might not be causing acne though, but SLS on your skin very well could be.

I am not sure about mouthwash, it is possible.

SLS is known to cause acne and canker sores. Many people find that once they stop using SLS toothpaste that there canker sores go away. I am pretty sure that Sensodyne does not contain SLS, but you will have to check on that.

SLS in your mouth might not be causing acne though, but SLS on your skin very well could be.

i was thinking maybe because my acne is only around my mouth, that maybe it was seeping through from the inside. or is that ridiculous?