Find results that contain...
Find results in...
slack1

benzoperoxide skin damage

Look to this website

http://www.skintactix.com/benzoyl_peroxide_skin_damage.htm

This can't be right can it?

-----------------

Benzoyl Peroxide Cautions: Benzoyl peroxide (BP) generates free radicals in the skin. Its effect is similar to unprotected sun exposure. The redness of the skin (erythema), caused by sun exposure and BP, are both the result of free radicals (oxidative stress) upon the skin. Repeated sun exposure or BP use generates free radicals that damage the skin's structure and cellular DNA, resulting in premature aging of the skin. The extent of the damage and aging from BP is determined by the concentration of BP, the frequency of application and the duration of its use.

BP has been linked to cancer for a number of years and many research journal entries state "benzoyl peroxide is a free radical-generating skin tumor promoting agent." Performing a word search of the words "benzoyl peroxide cancer" in PubMed in the National Library of Medicine produces 102 articles from medical publications dealing with research aspects of BP and cancer. About two-thirds of the research supports linkage between BP and skin cancer.

-------------

It don't know what to believe anymore these days.

Right know i'm only using The Regimen to treat the small blackheads on my nose.

I'm treating my face for years now; nothing helps against blackheads i'm afraid.

But I don't have acne anymore; think i grew over it.

Notice that the site is selling a skin care product that's not BP? There is plenty of research that shows BP is safe for long-term use. Not only that, those studies that site discusses used BP in 100% concentration on hairless mice who are prone to develop cancer- no one is going to put that concentration of BP on their own skin and we aren't hairless mice.

Yeah, this is really misleading - the first part may or may not be true, but not to the extent it suggests. Proper moisturization and sunscreen should keep you from having problems

The second paragraph is a completely different matter. Hell yeah, BP is a hazardous chemical, AT 100% CONENCTRATION. Lots of chemicals are hazardous at that concentration. 2.5% is not gonna do anything to you. Don't worry. BP is safe.

Hi Slack1, I have read that site before too and became quite alarmed until others here reassured me. My mum's a nurse and I checked with her too - she looked it up in her medical book and said it should be fine.

Hi Slack1, I have read that site before too and became quite alarmed until others here reassured me. My mum's a nurse and I checked with her too - she looked it up in her medical book and said it should be fine.

thank you all; they should forbid all those sites making money with misleading information and taking advantage over someone else's misery and skin problems.

Just like all the other 100+ over-the-counter Tell sell products

thank you all; they should forbid all those sites making money with misleading information and taking advantage over someone else's misery and skin problems.

Just like all the other 100+ over-the-counter Tell sell products

Ahhh the joys of life on earth, where the rich steal from the poor, the strong pick on the weak, and people scare people into giving you their money....Be grateful though that you have us to look out for ya ;) BP is pretty much the only thing that cleared me 100 percent, although recently I am only using acids now to help rid myself of hyperpigmentation. :cry: