Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jen121

Jen's Holistic Log

Okay it's time to get control over myself :cool:

I overall eat pretty healthy, but I struggle with sweets BIGTIME... but I'm ready to limit them to the point where I don't even crave it anymore.

Currently my skin is somewhat clear. I still have red marks from a massive breakout I had 1 year ago (It was devastating), other than that I have all these clogged pores around the sides of my chin and under my left eye. I am thankful they are not inflammed but it's still annoying to see.

With this log I will be writing what I am eating, confessing any slipups, and just mainly keeping track of my progress. I plan to do this for at least a month to get accurate results. My goal is 2 months.

GOALS for the week: sugars only from fruits, exercising every morning upon waking, limit the amount of almond butter I consume with my apple, and start thinking more positive and living life!

I am going grocery shopping right now!

I would love to hear any comments/support!

DAY 1

Okay, I did pretty good today besides this morning, but that was before I started :shhh:

I woke up: drank my bottle of water

exercised by bike riding around the block

had an apple with 1 tbs of almond butter, then I was a bad girl and had a bunch of chocolate cookies (but they were dairy and gluten free :angel: ). Then I went to wholefoods and got salmon with a salad with lots of olive oil. Then I had grapes, walnuts, and raisins. And for dinner I had an egg (yah for dinner) with more salad. And now I am enjoying strawberries with blueberries.

When I got out of the shower I noticed my skin was red and irritated. I need to stop rubbing it so much when I wash it. But since I'm on retin-a, my skin is shedding a lot and I want to make sure to exfoliate properly.... BUT I need to be more gentle. These bumps I'm getting can very well be due to irritation. Anyways, I think I'm going to skip the retin-a today and continue tomorrow night.

I'll post more then :D

DAY 3

Alright, my skin has gotten worse I'd say. The little bumps are spreading from my upper lip to under my left eye and then on the right side of my chin. I don't understand what the heck they are!!!

My diet has been super clean for the past 2 days... if I eat anything bad it's a small dark chocolate or a tiny bit of bread. Nothing BIG.

Today I saw my primary doctor. I asked him to give me a prescription for Tazorac gel .05%, I picked it up and it was a friken $100. I am going to start using it tonight in hopes it will normalize my pores better than the retin-a did. The only thing I am doing different is applying lotion before the Taz. I have a feeling that these little bumps are an irritation from not moisturizing enough. So I hope it gets better :pray:

Other than my face looking like crap, I have been eating mostly fruits, salads, only a small amount of almond butter, chicken, turkey, eggs, steamed veggies, and maybe 1 sweet in very little amounts.

I hope it clears up soon :doubt:

Come to think of it, the weather has gotten a lot cooler this past week. I cannot rely on my natural oils to lubricate my skin anymore. It's time to stop washing during the day and start moisturizing.

DAY 5

Alrighty, my skin is def improving a bit. I think the lotion was the solution to all of my problems.

BUT today I did pretty bad as far as eating. I had 2 of my moms little cookie things, 2 pieces of dark chocolate, starbucks mocha frapp, and a passion fruit pudding cup with whipped cream and dark chocolate. :shock:

I guess we can say I splurged today, but tomorrow and throughout the week its back to fruit, veggies, nuts, and protein, I SWEAR :angel:

Tonight will be my 3rd night using the TAZ gel. I like it alot. The best part is the my skin feels so smooth the next morning (mainly due to the lotion I am almost sure of)

So anyhow, I will post more soon!

DAY 7

I haven't been following my plan exactly. Overall, I've been eating healthy, but I have thrown in starbucks or a cookie everyday...

I have been using TAZ for about 5 days now, the teeny bumps have disappeared, but I am experiencing a little bit of purging on my forehead, left cheek, and chin. I believe it must be working. It is unbelievable to see the difference in the texture of my skin due to adding the lotion before the TAZ. I think I finally found my solution (fingers crossed)

DAY 9

I have to say... all the teeny bumps have dissolved and gone away :dance:

I am loving this TAZ and lotion combo. I haven't been the best with my eating habits. My sister had her birthday yesterday and brought home this huge cookie cake. Needless to say I have a couple pieces :naughty:

Oh, well. I eat overall very clean. I think it's all in moderation. But I am hoping this TAZ can be strong enough to allow me to stop being paranoid of everything that goes into my mouth, obsessing over getting the right sleep, and not stressing etc. I know it's kinda like my skin is helping me remain healthy, but it's taking over my life.

So all in all, I still have a couple of red bumps on my left cheek, a couple of small ones on my chin, and along my hairline too. But it looks good :angel:

DAY 10

Ahhh I had this huge red bump growing bigger throughout the day yesterday and this morning it formed a hard whitehead. It doesn't really hurt much but it must be inflammed since it's very red.

At least the rest of my face looks pretty clear. I guess I can't complain. I know the TAZ is purging all of the pores. Plus my diet has been filled with cookies, icing, and chocolate. All great triggers for inflammation. Some times I wonder if I had'nt eaten those things, would the pimple have been less red and smaller and I think so!

But it is what it is... and I'm tired of letting acne take my days away from me. I am going to tutor, to lunch with my friend, and do whatever I want later without feeling embarassed of someone seeing it. WHO CARES. I have to start developing this attitude or else i'll never be happy because I don't think my skin will ever be completely 100% clear.

Okay that's the update I am hoping to eat much better today now that I have this thing to remind me haha.

1 month

WOW, I have written in here in forever. That usually happens when everything is going well. My skin looks great!! And esspecially since right now is my time of month. I'm thrilled!

Okay even though I originally started out with the whole"diet is my cure" idea. I have to say that I am almost 99% sure that it was the TAZ that has kept me clear. This is because I have been cheating alot! But I always make sure to have my probiotic after I eat bad food. And I am not really abusing the bad b food by eating too much at once.

But I couldn't be happier with my skin. :dance: Plus I've developed this I don't care attitude so maybe that's keeping me from being stressed or I'm just having more fun! I'm dating this new guy and that makes me feel good :wub:

Okay so that's the update.... Hope everyone else is having success!

1 month

WOW, I have written in here in forever. That usually happens when everything is going well. My skin looks great!! And esspecially since right now is my time of month. I'm thrilled!

Okay even though I originally started out with the whole"diet is my cure" idea. I have to say that I am almost 99% sure that it was the TAZ that has kept me clear. This is because I have been cheating alot! But I always make sure to have my probiotic after I eat bad food. And I am not really abusing the bad b food by eating too much at once.

But I couldn't be happier with my skin. :dance: Plus I've developed this I don't care attitude so maybe that's keeping me from being stressed or I'm just having more fun! I'm dating this new guy and that makes me feel good :wub:

didnt you go on accutane though? that did nothing for you?

1 month

didnt you go on accutane though? that did nothing for you?

It definitely cleared my moderate acne, but after a year it came back in a mild form. I was on accutane twice already and refuse to put my body through another course. That is why I am trying other techniques and using preventative measures.

1 month and 4 days

So my skin has been misbehaving a little bit. I was getting some bumps on the sides of my chin and cheeks. Normally I would immediately apply BP in hope to prevent any inflammation. BUT since I finally came to the realization that my skin HATES BP... I just applied lotion, yeah, you read right, LOTION.

It hasn't inflammed or anything. Actually I think it's going away! The best method for me and my skin is to avoid irritation. And in the past I can almost be sure that the irritation from the dryness, BP, peels, exfoilation, etc. caused half my pimples and def the redness.

Gosh, I am almost 24 and just finally learning this stuff. I guess if I can tweek my skin care routine here and there, I will eventually have it down.

So currently it is TAZ, dan's lotion, dan's face wash. That's all I apply to my skin. My supplements are fish oil, saw palmetto, yaz bc, zinc, vit A/D/E, and probiotics. I'm a pill head :lol:

Okay anyways, I have been sooooo much happier. I am not going to let a little bump or whitehead steal my joy :wub:

Don't worry too much about dark chocolate (as long as it's not milk chocolate in drag like Hershey's fraudulent "special dark," Godiva, etc.). From what I've read it's anti-inflammatory.

::munches on 85% dark chocolate bar::

::caffeine-rush!::

I would say what day and month I'm in, but at this rate it doesn't matter because I have not been following the diet strictly.

I am still using the TAZ every single night. It's doing whatever. I have a couple of skin colored maybe slightly red bumps near my left side of mouth and on right side of chin. One on my right side of forehead and left temple.

I have been boggling my brain to think of what is causing this crap. I am almost 24, take yaz for hormone reasons, eat mostly well, drink only water, sleep regularly, have regular bowels (that has been a new thing this past year), and take many supplements to help.

I figured a couple things that can be causing this.

1. The ridiculous amount of almond butter I consume everyday.

2. The organic cookies, starbucks, or chocolate that I eat in moderation.

I have decided to do without almond butter for at least 3 weeks and see what resuts I get. If I become clear, I will add it back in and see if I breakout again.

I won't strictly test the sugar thing because then I won't know what causes what with me.

Tomorrow is Christmas... hope I don't screw up too bad! :shifty:

Here will be my daily routine:

WAKEUP: drink bottle of water, take ACV, exercise

BREAKFAST: fruit through the morning, probiotic, and herbal supplements

LUNCH: Salad with protein, zinc, fish oil, saw palmetto, taurine supplements

DINNER: Steamed veggies with protein, fish oil, saw palmetto, taurine, vitamin E,D,A supplements, probiotic

BED: yaz BC, lotion, TAZ

There will also be room for snacks such as fruit, walnuts/raisins, carrots, etc.

Craaaappp... I've had such a hard time eliminating nuts.

I haven't had almond butter or anything, but tonight at dinner I didn't realize I was eating pine nuts until half way through my salad. :doh:

Also when I went to whole foods earlier... I almost bought my cabbage crunch that I love from the prepared foods and had to put it back because I forgot their were almonds in it!

Its not THAT big of a deal (I could care less if I eat nuts/seeds or not). I am still eating sugar here and there and carbs like croutons in a salad or a little potatoes maybe.

This is strictly a test on nuts/seeds only.

Let's see what happens! :D

I want to start recording what I eat everyday... I can remember the last couple of days...

12/25/07

apple

egg omlete with red pepper, tomatoes, and onions

couple slices of turkey

huge salad, more turkey, green beans, a little potato

piece of godiva chocolate

strawberries/2 cookies

12/26/07

apple

manna bread

egg, salad with carrots, onions, croutons

bonefish- salad with pine nuts, salmon, zucchini, broccoli

strawberries/4 cookies

12/27/07

apple

strawberries/4 cookies

turkey, salad, carrots, onion

manna bread/2 cookies

egg, sauted veggies with wheat free soy sauce

strawberries/2 cookies

12/28/07

apple

strawberry/blueberry smoothie

turkey, salad, carrots, onions, sunflower seeds, croutons

cookies

salmon, little jasmine rice, asparagus, cooked tomatoes, vodka drink

lots of water

I'll continue later

But I have also been drinking a lot more water!

I think the normal reaction time for acne/skin is about 3 days. That's why I want to keep this log.

My skin looks wonderful right now. Maybe that almond butter was causing all of this.

Okay, today I woke up a little later and ate:

ACV

apple

tad bit of starbucks

turkey, salad, carrots, onions, red pepper

little more starbucks, strawberries, 6 cookies

ACV

egg, stir fry veggies

I exercised a little earlier, drank plenty of water, yada yada...

12/30/07:

Apple

Manna bread/4 cookies

turkey, tomatoes

strawberries/2 squares dark chocolate

walnuts/raisins

grouper/broccoli (red pepper in grouper made me flush)

Today:

Apple

grapefruit

turkey/tomatoes

starbucks

Sweet potato fries

Strawberries/blueberries

walnuts/raisins

I will try to eat/drink as healthy as possible today since I will be drinking alcohol tonight for New Years. Not to mention staying up late :doh:

But my skin is looking good. I had a cluster of bumps on the right cheek near my side burns. The bumps on the sides of my chin are clearing up. I wonder if I'll ever eat almond butter again haha.

Darnit! I am getting ready to go out for New Years and just noticed a fresh red bump smack in the middle of my right cheek! I touched it with a Q-tip and it is sore to the touch!!!!!!

Ahhhhh, this really sux because now I'll be all paranoid tonight.

I'm eating berries right now in hopes to help. I am also not going to stress about it. I just wish it could be in any other place and not inflammed.

Plus I get upset with these inflammed ones on my cheek because they take FOREVER to heal and almost always leave behind a scar.....

Please God, have mercy on this pimple. Bless it's little pore.

Okay I'm done venting. I'll let you know how it goes.

Try icing the pimple before you go out tonight. If you put an ice cube in a paper towel or plastic baggie and hold it to the pimple for a few minutes, take it off for a few, and put it back on for a few minutes (repeat this for 15-20 min), it should help with inflamation and redness.

Thanks Willow!

It actually ended up being a trick pimple, haha. It came out of nowhere and then just got smaller and smaller from there. I NEVER get that! But I guess GOD was being extra nice to me.

Other than that, I had only 2 drinks spread out through the night and drank plenty of water. I had some walnuts and raisins when I got back home (around 2 AM) and the company we had over didn't leave until 4 AM so I barley slept last night. That's okay, I have lots of time to catch on with it.

today:

Apple

Grapefruit

Salad, carrots, onions, sunflower seeds, croutons

2 cookies

chicken, asparagus, red bell peppers

4 cookies

Today I've been blushing more than normal. I think it's due to using too much TAZ, whatever is causing it, it's def really embarassing.

Anyways, I noticed some bumps on my jawline on the right cheek. Also one bump on my left cheek. A couple teeny bumps on my forehead and a red flat bump on my nose. The good thing about my acne is that it's non inflammatory. Yeah acne is acne BUT there is nothing worse than a huge red pus filled deep painful pimple. It's ugly and takes weeks for them to go away, the other thing is they SCAR. Those are the kinds I used to get. So I am grateful for the small skin colored bumps :angel:

Today I ate:

Apple

strawberries/3 cookies

little bit of chicken/asparagus/salad with buttery croutons/little spinach

starbucks

me and my mom made dinner: tilapia/spinach/rice/asparagus/squash/garlic/onion

2 cookies/apple walnut crisp

The bumps are still there but just kinda chillin out...

Today:

Grapefruit

Apple

chicken/asparagus/apple walnut crisp/tomatoes/2 cookies/walnuts/raisins

strawberries/manna bread/4 cookies

Egg/broccoli/onions

I have these friken bumps along my right jawline that are just chillin there. I am so happy they are not inflammed or anything but I think they are spreading. It's weird how different my acne is than it used to be.

I need to do better though. I can see alot of areas that I can improve on. Obviously firstly being the cookies and amount of fruits I eat. Tomorrow morning I am going to whole foods and plan to get salmon and a big salad for lunch. I need to start eating more leafy greens. Also I barely have exercised in the past 2 days because it's been so darn cold.

But I can't deny the effort I put forth. I take fish oils, zinc, taurine, saw palmetto, cod oil, Vitamin E oil, yaz birth control, and probiotics. I think something in all that has changed my acne to non inflammatory. I'd say my digestion is much better than it's ever been. Although it's been off for the past couple of days due to New Years late nights. I try to get decent sleep, don't drink but once a week, change my pillow cases, don't touch my face. Use tazorac topicals every night. Use lotion where it's dry. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I sometimes just want to throw in the towel and not care. It just feels like a never ending battle and if I let my sword down just slightly.... BAM I'm instantly down. Ahh well, enough complaining, other than a couple bumps, I'm a lucky girl... blessed :angel:

Alright I skipped yesterdays food so here goes:

1/4/07:

strawberry/blueberry smoothie

3 coves garlic/5 cookies

salmon, mixed greens, red peppers, olives, 1 square dark chocolate (ate half)

ate rest of above 2 hours later

1 cookie

out to dinner- salmon, spinach, tomatoes, carrots, little mozzarella cheese

had blush wine and cranberry/vodka last night

I got only about 6 hours of sleep due to this guy I've been dating, I got home at like 1 AM and it takes me almost an hour to take a shower, and do my nightly skin regimen.

I have a painful bump on my back that I've noticed and I'm sure that's because I haven;t been rubbing the oxy pad on my back lately. It's been so cold! I am going to get back on track with everything today.

The guy I'm dating asked me to go to Boston with him next month. I am already wondering how that is going to work with my OCD skin crap. I guess I'll just have to be really good up until that weekend and try my best.

Things to do:

stop stressing over stupid things

get more sleep

eat more protein

stop eating out

Today:

Apple

Salmon/salad/4 cookies

2 cookies/cinnamon,date manna bread

Salad, chicken, garlic, asparagus

3 cookies

Okay now to look at this, I am eating wayyyy too much sugar! The box of cookies are almost gone, that's good. After that I'll switch to another sweet. Or maybe I should just friken kick it to the curb right? I dunno let's see what happens...

BUT I woke up with a HUGE painful pimple on my back. It deep too :doubt:

You know this is totally off topic but it's so hard to eat healthy and not loose weight. I have to wait this amount of time between meals, not eat too much at once, etc. I am loosing weight and I don't like it. I'm skinny enough. But whatever. I have to get ready to tutor, I'll update later.

Dried fruits & nuts can help if you want to eat healthy but not lose any weight. Raisins, dried apricots, sultanas, prunes [good fibre!]