Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scarredface2007

acne scarring treatments failed!

Just beware of how much money you spend. I wish I could have all of mine back.

I have had the following:

full face dermabrasion 1992

partial face dermabrasion 1993

full face CO2 laser resurface 1997

And yet, in alot of different lighting scenarios, I still have the complexion

of the surface of the moon. Perhaps technology has improved over the last ten

years, who knows. However, all of the procedures were performed by

doctors in the Columbus, Ohio area with great reputations.

Just venting here....but I'm now 38 and it still controls my life....

sf2007 - I have had severe acne scarring along with numerous treatments and found that many doctors will sell resurfacing treatments all day long but they neglect to find a solution for the real issue for those with moderate to sever scarring and that is - lost tissue under the surface of the skin.

I had many excisions followed by two dermabrasions with some success but I still had severe shadowing due to the loss of tissue. I have followed with subscisions - which helped some - and 7 rounds of silicone micro-injections which helped quite a bit more. Those two procedures helped quite a bit to resolve the major problem which was bound down tissue and a loss of tissue under the surface. Unfortunately, I still had a couple of doctors at that time - none that I actually used for treatment - continuing to swear that a laser resurfacting would do some additional good.

Although I still would like some additional improvemnt, maybe an additional treatment with silicone, I feel pretty certain that more resurfacing was not the answer.

Maybe subcision before the CO2 would help? To release those fibers so the skin can start to rebuild and then resurface?

Just thinking . . .

Because I had CO2 and it worked on all my small and medium scars, but not the big ones that were held down. I wonder if needling first would have worked better.

Sierralita - I have found that the deeper ones are not affected much by resurfacing. My deeper ones responded best to subscision and filler. As I mentioned, doctors keep pushing people to resurfacing procedures with much downtime, risk of complications and very little improvement.

sf2007 - I have had severe acne scarring along with numerous treatments and found that many doctors will sell resurfacing treatments all day long but they neglect to find a solution for the real issue for those with moderate to sever scarring and that is - lost tissue under the surface of the skin.

I had many excisions followed by two dermabrasions with some success but I still had severe shadowing due to the loss of tissue. I have followed with subscisions - which helped some - and 7 rounds of silicone micro-injections which helped quite a bit more. Those two procedures helped quite a bit to resolve the major problem which was bound down tissue and a loss of tissue under the surface. Unfortunately, I still had a couple of doctors at that time - none that I actually used for treatment - continuing to swear that a laser resurfacting would do some additional good.

Although I still would like some additional improvemnt, maybe an additional treatment with silicone, I feel pretty certain that more resurfacing was not the answer.

Definitely agree here! Dermabrasion is minimally effective by itself. I know because I've had it.

The only thing I have not tried, despite my extensive scar treatment cocktail, is subcision followed by temp filler. I am going to relegate myself to that soon, as I am so sick of that 'shadowing' All of my scars are of the saucer/rolling type.

I am considering going back to silicone as a last result, with someone more experienced. I have felt really low these past couple of months, but somehow I still pick myself up by my bootstraps and keep going with this. I think I will always have scar treatments. It will be a lifelong investment that will sap my retirement savings power.