Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
N.V.S

Pilonidal Cyst - One on my BUTT!

I had to have mine cleaned out. The surgeon just used local anesthetic and cleaned all the crap out of mine. Mine was infected, but I took antibiotics and the infection went away. Since mine was not excised (I still have the gland), I have noticed that there is still a little hole there. It has gotten sore a few times, but it has not gotten infected again, or really any worse, so I won't have to get it removed until that happens, if it happens. Both my father and grandfather had it and both had to get theirs completely removed. For them it was a surgery with general anesthetic, and a few week recovery time. Hopefully I won't have to go through that.

bad news.....

my mom freaked that i set up another appointment for tomorrow. she said i shouldnt go cause i really dont have any insurance anymore since i turned 23 and my ties with my parents expired. if i go they are just gonna charge me a ridicules amount of money so....its best that i wait it out until things get straightened out. i see why i shouldnt have set up another appointment, damn shes right. :wall:

she said since ive had it for this long and since i didnt even know it was there (even though i really knew for almost 3 years) that any type of surgery can wait. but i DONT want this with me anymore!

sucks being a full time student now with no current job for insurance.

if i dont get coverage from her job i will be forced to find other means of insurance and that could take some time.

now that im at a point were i fear it spreading, this crap happens.

any advice?

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! I guess that it won't hurt to wait, but that I don't know for sure. Try calling the office first thing in the morning and tell them you don't have insurance, and ask how important is it to have the surgery right away?

Does your college/university offer medical insurance for students?

bad news.....

my mom freaked that i set up another appointment for tomorrow. she said i shouldnt go cause i really dont have any insurance anymore since i turned 23 and my ties with my parents expired. if i go they are just gonna charge me a ridicules amount of money so....its best that i wait it out until things get straightened out. i see why i shouldnt have set up another appointment, damn shes right. :wall:

she said since ive had it for this long and since i didnt even know it was there (even though i really knew for almost 3 years) that any type of surgery can wait. but i DONT want this with me anymore!

sucks being a full time student now with no current job for insurance.

if i dont get coverage from her job i will be forced to find other means of insurance and that could take some time.

now that im at a point were i fear it spreading, this crap happens.

any advice?

wow lara thats a scary story!...but its one i needed to hear for sure. i know i cant leave this on me for much longer. now that i found out what it is this week, its time to get something done about it.

but insurance has surprisingly gotten in my way :cry: If i knew what this thing on my butt was last year i coulda had surgery then but i REALLY thought this would heal on its own, it was just taking a LONG time.

For the past few weeks ive been really good at not picking at it and actually, it hasnt bled and not much pus if at all has come out of it. it doesnt even itch as much as it used to. I was having trouble sitting cause i was wipping too hard after using the bath room (my theory on the whole deal)

but i know even if its ok right now, that doesnt mean it wont get infected and turn into your situation. it would be awesome if we can kill this thing when its in such a good stage....not hurting me.

Anyway, i did call the surgeons office this morning and i canceled my appointment. In fact, i should have been getting examined this very minute at 10 am. Instead im at home having to wait a few more days (weeks?) until things get straightened out with the insurance.

It really comforting actually to red other peoples stories because for the longest time i was like "WHY DOESNT ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS!?!?!?!" My family seemed normal there whole life, friends never mentioned butt problems, this thing was just really killing my self esteem. I even went to a pool party a few months back and i didnt get in the water cause i thought this bumb might spread to other people if i got in the water with them. I really had no idea what it was...

Also, is there anyone out there that has a cyst like this that HASNT been treated yet? Just curious.

Well, tonight my mom will call her job for an insurance request but we still think that may be too expensive. We're all kinda confused right now....

of course i'll keep you updated :)

I think someone else asked you this question: Does your school have some kind of health insurance? I know that I had a certain level of medical care when I was in college that was provided through the university.

Sadly, you have a condition which is invariably going to require medical attention, regardless, are there any free clinics in your area, where you could get medical treatment at little or no cost?

I can understand how your mother feels, but on the other hand this is something that needs medical attention. Since you were seen earlier this week, how did that transpire with regard to insurance ? I thought you indicated that something had been worked out.

Anyway, good luck to you. I hope you can find a solution to your problem soon.

All the best,

Joe Zit

Hi NVS

How are things travelling with you? I hope the cyst is still a little better?

Just something I remembered that may help - after my surgery the hospital recommended that I take a warm, saltwater bath everyday until it healed. I know you haven't had any surgery, but if you are getting pus etc it will help cleanse the wound. I did this right before the nurse came each day to repack the dressing.

The easiest way I found was to dissolve about 3 heaped tablespoons of salt (table salt is fine) into a cup of very hot water, and then pour the whole lot in an already filled warm bath (before you get in, you may burn yourself otherwise!). I had the bath only hip-deep when sitting, and 10 mins is plenty of time.

Salt is a very good at disinfecting wounds, and may help heal it temporarily until you can get it removed.

Cheers

LC

thanks for the tip lara!

im just really iffy about that pus touching me else where you know. wont it spread easier if im in a tub with the water to my waist? the water might infect me in other areas since im laying in it.

again thanks for the tip, i might actually give it a try.

as for an update since im here, well....nothing has happened really. last week i felt like something would finally happen and i'd getting this thing off me after all these years of itching and annoyance. but after the news of my insurance expiring, things got put on hold very quickly.

im surprised that my parents arent really pushing for anything to happen here, they now i dont have enough money for insurance and i feel they're kinda avoiding the whole deal all together. im finding that i am the one who has to bring the topic up of "whats gonna happen now?" Even then, they dont give much of a reply other than "don't worry about it for now, ok?" It kind of frustrating that they arent really asking me anything about it on their own.

They even said, "well, its been there for years, you can wait cant you?" and i was kinda shocked to be honest.

Then again, ive mentioned here before, the actual surgery is something im not really looking forward to even though i really want it to happen. Sounds a bit weird i know, but the healing process will be a pain in the butt...literally lol. Will a nurse actually come to my house and check my butt? How long is the recovery time again? I have so many questions and it seems like you guys are the only ones that could help me.

So thanks everyone here for giving me tips and letting me know your stories. Hopefully this could all get settled soon, that way i can help others with my experiences.

Thanks for the most current update. Please keep us in the loop about this, and let us know what happens.

For what it is worth, I will keep you in my thoughts and hope for a quick resolution to your problem.

All the best,

Joe Zit

thanks for the tip lara!

im just really iffy about that pus touching me else where you know. wont it spread easier if im in a tub with the water to my waist? the water might infect me in other areas since im laying in it.

again thanks for the tip, i might actually give it a try.

as for an update since im here, well....nothing has happened really. last week i felt like something would finally happen and i'd getting this thing off me after all these years of itching and annoyance. but after the news of my insurance expiring, things got put on hold very quickly.

im surprised that my parents arent really pushing for anything to happen here, they now i dont have enough money for insurance and i feel they're kinda avoiding the whole deal all together. im finding that i am the one who has to bring the topic up of "whats gonna happen now?" Even then, they dont give much of a reply other than "don't worry about it for now, ok?" It kind of frustrating that they arent really asking me anything about it on their own.

They even said, "well, its been there for years, you can wait cant you?" and i was kinda shocked to be honest.

Then again, ive mentioned here before, the actual surgery is something im not really looking forward to even though i really want it to happen. Sounds a bit weird i know, but the healing process will be a pain in the butt...literally lol. Will a nurse actually come to my house and check my butt? How long is the recovery time again? I have so many questions and it seems like you guys are the only ones that could help me.

So thanks everyone here for giving me tips and letting me know your stories. Hopefully this could all get settled soon, that way i can help others with my experiences.

I really wouldn't do any warm soaks of any kind prior to the surgery; whenever that is. The bacteria is still there, you are right about being concerned about potential transfer to other locations. Some docs do not like baths after pilonidal surgeries or before.

Are you a student? If so, does your school offer insurance? I wouldn't be too terribly worried if the area isn't appreciably more painful than it has been in the past. A trip to the doctor again might be in order (without immediate surgery) for an antibiotic that can help shrink the size and inflammation (possibly) as surgery is currently too expensive. The doctor could also possibly just flush the wound out as it is currently draining and that might help make it more bearable until you can actually have the surgery. Flushing (by a doc or nurse) would help loosen some of the debris in the wound and help remove some of the bacteria. Do not do that at home; it can be dangerous to do it yourself without training. Some people will do flushing of a wound at home, but you DO need to know how to do it properly so you will not cause damage to yourself.

Or you can call the surgeon and ask if a payment plan can be considered (talk with your folks), or if the surgeon offers a reduced price, or what ever you can do to get the surgery done. Some offices have a finance department that can help out uninsured patients who need care; just call and ask.

For the moment, just take an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen or naproxen sodium according to the package directions and never more than as directed and of course not if you're allergic to them! Good luck, and please do keep us posted.

Yikes oh man this thread just reminded me of the worst time of my life...PILONIDAL CYST

I had one about 4 years ago and had the surgery done. I got stitched up and the doctor said i'll be all healed up in 2 weeks and that's when the stitches will be removed. So 2 weeks come up and I get the stitches removed and the doctor said he's never seen one of these wounds heal so perfectly before. I'm thinking...Awesome!

I arrive home and look in the mirror to see what it looks like. I notice it actually looks like its opened up at the top a tiny bit, so i'm like ut oh. I go to sit on the toilet and the WHOLE entire wound opens completely up! I mean this is like 1/3 of my total ass crack.

I call up the doctor immediately and he says that its ok if its bleeding a little bit and not to worry. I tell him its gushing blood like crazy and the whole wound is totally opened. So off I go back to the doctor and he's like, yup its opened. He tells me to come back every day to clean the wound out. This happened for the next 6 MONTHS. Every single day I had to cut pieces of gauze and get adhesive tape to pack into my ass crack. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to perform this in front of a mirror? I couldn't do any kind of athletic activity because the gauze packing would fall off. Even bending over to pick something up proved a challenge. Every time my ass would sweat I feared it was blood running down my leg or was soaking the back of my pants.

The doctor kept putting some kind of silver nitrate(sorry forget what it was called but started with silver) on the wound that is supposed to create scar tissue. This stuff burns like you wouldn't believe on a open wound. One time I almost blacked out I was in so much pain.

Finally after so many months it did heal but I always felt uneasy sitting down because I wasn't sure if blood was going to come spilling out and drench my pants. About 3 years later I got another pilonidal cyst and went to a different doctor. I thought I was going to have that dreaded surgery again but the doctor just gave me some antibiotics and it went away. Phew!

Anyways, I'm sure I'm just a extreme example. I've had a friend who had this done also and he said it was all healed in 2 weeks. Thanks cruel thread for the horrible reminder!!!!!! :surprised:

wow foolio, what a horrible story!?!? haha reading that has scared the crap out of me! seriously, it has :doubt: but thanks for sharing it with us. I WANT to hear more stories like that and others that shed light to all of our experiences with this thing.

well, just to update, my cyst has been extremely calm as of late. for the last few week i haven't even really felt it at all and i only get a rare itch once an a while but i have managed to shake it off.

when i get out of the shower i immediately reach for some toilet paper and pat dry the cyst. i usually get a small dab of puss or whatever on the paper but its really just a small dot of it. i pat dry it some more until its gone. no bleeding what so ever for quite a while now.

i guess before i knew what it was (say about a month and a half ago) i used to touch it a lot more. I used to stare at it in the mirror and sometimes (unfortunately) force the blood and puss out and i really used to poke at it WAY too much. Perhaps i thought it would be drained out and go away. but of course its not looking to be going anywhere without treatment.

Fortunately, i don't think it ever got extremely infected or got any worse from all the poking and rubbing i did to it. But i know now not to risk it, so im not doing anything like that ever again.

So far, my insurance issue hasnt been resolved but im hoping it will be soon. So no doctor visits recently.

And i am beginning to wonder, if i continue to not really feel anything and i only get the occasional itch and small dot of puss on the toilet paper after a shower, can i rest easy in knowing it wont get out of hand? Can i live life happily without surgery. Or will this thing eventually grow and do damage no matter how good its doing now.

Its been 3 years since ive noticed it and im really wondering if i may have this on me my whole life. Surgery kinda scares me into thinking it may open up and spread to other areas after the procedure....

Is it possible to have these cyst in other areas. Like my head or legs for example. Or is the tailbone mainly the only spot?

If you have had it for this long I doubt its going to heal on its own. Most likely get worse over time. You definitely are going to have to get the surgery done. The surgery may not be as bad for you if its smaller than what mine was. It could theoretically just take 2 weeks for you to be back in tip top shape. The longer you wait i'm sure the bigger its going to get. Mine was filled with a ton of hair my doctor said. So if I waited longer I'm sure more hair would just keep accumulating in there.

my pilonidal cyst healed with ichthammol ointment 20%

you can get Ichthammol ointment at walgreens or cvs or any drugstore should be able to order it for you. Note: it is not on the shelf you have to ask the pharmacist for it they keep it in the back for some reason. Ichthammol ingredients are petrolatum, Ichthammol (sulphur), anhydrous lanolin and light mineral oil, i bought a 1 ounce tube for about $6.00 U S Dollars and used only a small part of it. you can skip to the bottom to learn how i treated myself.

went to see my doctor all freaked out about what this was, i was scared and thought it was skin cancer right away. thankfully not that. my doctor saw it and told me it was a pilonidal cyst but since i have been keeping it clean it was not infected that was it. no remedy and did not offer any antibiotics. he said that nothing he could do unless it became infected then steps would be taken to remove it and told me how they do so. OUCH no way! so i started to research this thing on my butt crack.

I did ask my doctor if it was a virus or bacteria infection, he said no. I think that it is, and that is just my personal opinion. I am 48 years old and have never had one of these painful things. I also never use public toilets unless they have those paper shields for the toilet seat. the one time in my life i used a public toilet without a paper shield because i was in a hurry from upset stomach this pilonidal cyst pops up a week later. My doctor said no that he didn't think it was spread this way. I think it is like athletes foot fungus that you can get from one person just by coming in contact with the same spot they walked on.

getting infected by someone else's pilonidal cyst is kind of like getting athletes foot fungus the similarity is not that far fetched. upon contact it only takes a moist dark place between the skin for athletes foot fungus to grow and it can become like a pilonidal cyst except for the hair in most cases. athletes foot fungus itches, burns, and weeps and can bleed and become infected just like this. so i feel this is something that you can catch.

MY Treatment

first i kept the wound clean, did so with antibacterial soap and water on a clean cotton towel. did not scrub only lightly wiped to apply soap to the area and then wet another section of the clean towel with warm water and wiped the soap away. then dryed the area completely with a clean cotton towel. used different sections of the same towel for this and did not use the towel again until it had been machine washed with bleach and detergent. this step was done three times a day before applying the ichthammol ointment. I noticed the course hair in my butt crack was keeping the cyst open so i removed it using the brand of NAIR hair remover with cocoa butter. I cannot bend enough to shave the area and could think of no one to ask to do the shaving so nair was the option i took.

the Nair did burn a bit but it did remove the hair i had to do this twice during the 2 weeks it took for the cyst to heal since the hair grew back. Note: when i removed the hair with Nair Hair remover as the hair was trying to grow back i got itchy bumps from where the hair was trying to grow back out and they itched terribly. so you have to deal with that itch also.

so after cleaning off the hair and nair i washed the area again and completely dried it. i applied the ichthammol ointment directly on the open pilonidal cyst and that was it. I did so 3 - 4 times a day, always washing the area to clean and remove the old ointment before applying new ointment. i also only wore all cotton dark underwear so that if the black ointment stained the underwear it would not show. only all cotton underwear so that it breathes and helps to control the moisture. I would also when going out or to work apply the ichthammol ointment and cover with a cotton pad rolled up and my butt cheeks seemed to keep it in place without it slipping. I used those cotton squares women use remove their makeup. make sure they are all cotton, not the cheap ones that are synthetic.

Pilonidal cyst was painful and itchy most of the time but as the days past the sulphur in the ichthammol ointment seemed to be healing the open wound and it was getting better it seemed to be healing from the inside out. after 2 weeks i decided to stop using the ichthammol ointment wash,clean and dry the area. had to see if the pilonidal cyst would heal. I kept up the 3-4 time washing and drying of the area and covering it with a clean cotton pad. after almost another week skin formed over the area and i stopped using the cotton pads. just kept the area dry using a clean dry towel and gently wiping away any moisture. there is some scar tissue there left behind by the cyst but i have been noticing that it is slowly going away. I hope this helps someone out there. feel free to pass on this to anyone in hopes that it will help them. Please make sure you check with your doctor or medical personnel before trying this. I had no adverse reactions or allergy to this Ichthammol, but everyone is different. I am only posting this because it helped and worked for me and kept my pilonidal cyst from becomming infected. I am grateful that it did heal my pilonidal cyst and that i did not need a operation. again please check with your doctor before using this ointment. I hope this posting helps in your healing, this comes from one sufferer to another. take care,

sincerely,charlie123

update 01/04/09 Pilonidal Cyst is still healed, scar has faded quite a lot, no problems just keeping area clean and dry. I hope that the ichthammol ointment has helped others.

Hi

I have had a sepsis (infected) cyst on my butt for 18 months since I had an operation to remove an abcess in the same place.

It has always been infected with pus coming out of it, until recently. I stopped wearing heavy denim jeans, and starting wearing loose pyjamas at night to allow airflow around the area. It has not helped that I have a desk job, and have to sit 7.5 hours a day.

I also started using a mild peroxide (10%) solution regularly during the day to it. Since I've been doing this, it has started getting smaller, not raised anymore, the scar tissue around it looks normal, and there is no pus anymore. I've stopped using creme antiseptics now because they caused the area to become inflamed again, and open up. But only blood came out, no more pus. I had a swab taken at the doctor and there is no infection or bacteria in the area anymore. I've stopped using peroxide too, and just wash the area with soap and water. I've also started applying vitamin E (from vitamin E capsules) and it has healed faster than ever before. It heals any redness, swollenness and helps to close up the area. If you have any omega 3 flaxseed oil to apply this should also help with the healing.

It's nearly gone now. My doctor wanted to send me to the surgeon again to cut it open to remove the scar tissue as well. I've come this far, I'll only end up back where I started. It's really difficult healing in this area, because of where it is located. Sitting all day, means there's no air flow, you sweat, and these are good conditions for ongoing infection.

You need to also look after your general health I think. I eat a lot of organic fruit and vegetables, and liquidized juices every day, and organic nuts, organic meat, rice, pasta etc, so my immune system is strong enough to heal.

Hope this information helps.

BigBear

OHMYGOODNESS. :surprised: My dad has had trouble with that forever! He actually is going through one of those really painful times now. :lol: I know I shouldn't laugh, but it's sorta funny how he can't sit down. Honestly though, do you think he should go get it, you know, drained or whatever? He thinks it will hurt really bad, so I don't blame him for putting it off. But do you think that's the right course of action?

OHMYGOODNESS. :surprised: My dad has had trouble with that forever! He actually is going through one of those really painful times now. :lol: I know I shouldn't laugh, but it's sorta funny how he can't sit down. Honestly though, do you think he should go get it, you know, drained or whatever? He thinks it will hurt really bad, so I don't blame him for putting it off. But do you think that's the right course of action?

Yes he needs to have it sugically removed then it will be gone. He is in a lot more discomfort than what the surgery would entail.

Joe Zit