Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
N.V.S

Pilonidal Cyst - One on my BUTT!

Does anyone here have or maybe have heard of a Pilonidal Cyst?

I have this cyst on my lower tail bone near my butt thats been there for almost 3 years!!

WTF!

Im thinking of seeing a doctor now cause i think it spread and im having trouble sitting down :(

It hurts just to sit down and im loosing sleep over this cyst.

HELP ME SOMEONE!!!

I had surgery for that last year. It was incredibly painful to sit I know. Post surgery it hurt more. I would sit down and the pus would get on my pants when I sat down :redface: It hurt for two weeks after. It hurt more than my appendectomy

I had surgery for that last year. It was incredibly painful to sit I know. Post surgery it hurt more. I would sit down and the pus would get on my pants when I sat down :redface: It hurt for two weeks after. It hurt more than my appendectomy

It was only one but it was the size of a quarter. Now its cured because I had the surgery. I was actually thinking about the surgery today so its kind of funny you brought this subject up

great! was it a draining procedure? what kinda surgery was it, if you dont mind sharing :)

i plan on going to the doctor tomorrow, i want to make sure i ask for the right procedure.

great! was it a draining procedure? what kinda surgery was it, if you dont mind sharing :)

i plan on going to the doctor tomorrow, i want to make sure i ask for the right procedure.

and no sign of it returning? if its gonna hurt i should probably wait until after finals....but it hurts sooo bad.

was the surgery done on the spot in the doctors office when they saw it or was it a huge deal where they had to knock you out.

Don't worry, the doctor/surgeon will know the right name and procedure, too. ;)

whoah sounds like a bigegr deal than i thought. i was hoping i'll just show up and he'll drain it and i'll go back home and sleep it off. damn. ive never been in a hospital....

pylonidalcystectomy? lol seriously?

whoah sounds like a bigegr deal than i thought. i was hoping i'll just show up and he'll drain it and i'll go back home and sleep it off. damn. ive never been in a hospital....

pylonidalcystectomy? lol seriously?

Please read what Molly said very carefully. A Pilonidal Cyst has nothing to do with acne or cystic acne. It is another medical condition that frequently requires surgery and it is at least a semi-big deal. Molly has it right.

A good website is www.mayoclinic.com/health/pilonidal-cyst/DS00747 - 26k -

Good luck to you.

Joe Zit

so this thing wont go away on its own im guessing. i should have known after year 2 :cry: .

the question is WHY did i get this thing. i was afraid to have my first... uh sexual experience cause of this thing because i thought it was some std lol. cause all the blood and pus that came out everyday. good thing on that day, it was ok, nothing bad happened. thank god.

it itches a lot from time to time and sometimes i go a whole day without any problems. most days it is a huge pain though.

only this week im having trouble sitting down for too long, it is constantly throbbing and hurts.

You do need to get it examined and determine if it is indeed a pilonidal cyst. It does sound like it; but that's for a doctor to diagnose. You do definitely need to get it examined and treated. I'm glad you got an appointment.

oh its definitely a pilonidal cyst. just saw some pics and its just like mine.

well i havent made an appointment YET, i have to call in the morning. i was going to today but i REALLY thought there has to be another way to do this. like a cream or something. my family will freak if they find out i need surgery for something they had NO idea i had for 3 years.

i really cant believe this.

but thanks to everybody who helped me out here. ive been to other sites on the net asking questions and one place took a week for a one sentence reply asking me the how big it was..eh, you guys helped way more in just a few minutes.

thanks.

now its time for me to man up and do something about this HELL thats been with me for too long.

Good for you for getting the appointment. The first appointment will likely just assess the area and determine what type/when to do the surgery. The second one will be the surgery as there's pre-op protocol to follow. (no food, avoid certain medications and supplements, etc).

The relief from pain won't be immediate but they'll also give you pain medicines to take for after the surgery. Once you begin to heal, the pain will lessen each and every day. You'll be able to sit without pain! I can't imagine the pain.

Do not chicken out and decide not to get this taken care of, ok? Something like that is far better off not in your skin/body. It can theoretically cause septicemia. Not good. It sounds like it has been getting worse recently; so you do need to get it checked out this week.

Good for you for getting the appointment. The first appointment will likely just assess the area and determine what type/when to do the surgery. The second one will be the surgery as there's pre-op protocol to follow. (no food, avoid certain medications and supplements, etc).

The relief from pain won't be immediate but they'll also give you pain medicines to take for after the surgery. Once you begin to heal, the pain will lessen each and every day. You'll be able to sit without pain! I can't imagine the pain.

Do not chicken out and decide not to get this taken care of, ok? Something like that is far better off not in your skin/body. It can theoretically cause septicemia. Not good. It sounds like it has been getting worse recently; so you do need to get it checked out this week.

Please do keep us updated. Surgery's really not so scary. I've had knee surgery before. It hurts more after the surgery, but then when all the pain is gone it is miraculous. Just follow the post-op instructions and you'll be just fine!

Don't worry about the surgery, I've had several major surgeries. If you follow your surgeon's instructions for both pre-op and post-op you should do just fine. For what it is worth, they usually give you some really great pain killers after surgery (don't worry, you won't become addicted)...when I get a big shot of demerol after surgery, I think I'm back in the 1960's when life was so mellow and we regularly ingested ourselves with good shit. :cool:

There are several theories as to its cause, most think that it is caused by ingrown hairs in that region, while there is evidence to suggest that trauma to the sacrococcygeal region (the region relating to both the sacrum [the lower vertebrae] and coccyx) could also be a cause.

It is NOT a sexually transmitted disease. :shock:

Anyway, good luck to you and let us know how you made out with the doctor today.

Regards,

Joe Zit

Hey NVS! I actually observed a pilonidal cystectomy in nursing school. I was in the OR, and saw exactly how they did it.... Everyone's right - this thing you have isn't acne. You were born with this cleft in your lower back; a space, that over time, gets hair growth and scar tissue build up inside of it. In almost every case, the area gets infected and, as you know, gets really painful and hard to live with.

The surgery, as I saw it in 1996, is pretty simple. You'll be placed on your stomach, and the area will be anesthecized with maybe a regional block or even a general anesthesia, depending on your doctor. Then the cyst is removed from the area, it'll be stitched up and that's it. The one that I saw, when it was taken out, was like the size of a peach pit (sorry, but it was! The MD made sure he showed me - as a student, to "learn"!) Afterwards, the patient had to lay on his stomach for a few days to recover, and take prophylactic antibiotics to avoid any post-op infection.

I know it's easy for me to say, since I'm not facing this kind of surgery, but it really wasn't that bad (as far as surgeries go). But you've GOT to get it taken care of - since it sounds like your cyst is infected, that infection can spread to other areas, or you could get sepsis - an infection in your bloodstream, which is much harder to treat. Plus, the skin around the cyst could lose blood flow, due to an infection, and tissue death could occur (necrosis). Then, I've heard of people having to have skin grafts to the area....... so take care of it!! You'll be fine - -

You'll be so glad when it's over - - just think! Painfree and no more worries!!! Keep us posted on how you do - - and ask your physician any questions that you have - they'll answer them!!! Good luck - - Patti

Hey NVS! I actually observed a pilonidal cystectomy in nursing school. I was in the OR, and saw exactly how they did it.... Everyone's right - this thing you have isn't acne. You were born with this cleft in your lower back; a space, that over time, gets hair growth and scar tissue build up inside of it. In almost every case, the area gets infected and, as you know, gets really painful and hard to live with.

The surgery, as I saw it in 1996, is pretty simple. You'll be placed on your stomach, and the area will be anesthecized with maybe a regional block or even a general anesthesia, depending on your doctor. Then the cyst is removed from the area, it'll be stitched up and that's it. The one that I saw, when it was taken out, was like the size of a peach pit (sorry, but it was! The MD made sure he showed me - as a student, to "learn"!) Afterwards, the patient had to lay on his stomach for a few days to recover, and take prophylactic antibiotics to avoid any post-op infection.

I know it's easy for me to say, since I'm not facing this kind of surgery, but it really wasn't that bad (as far as surgeries go). But you've GOT to get it taken care of - since it sounds like your cyst is infected, that infection can spread to other areas, or you could get sepsis - an infection in your bloodstream, which is much harder to treat. Plus, the skin around the cyst could lose blood flow, due to an infection, and tissue death could occur (necrosis). Then, I've heard of people having to have skin grafts to the area....... so take care of it!! You'll be fine - -

You'll be so glad when it's over - - just think! Painfree and no more worries!!! Keep us posted on how you do - - and ask your physician any questions that you have - they'll answer them!!! Good luck - - Patti

No, don't shave. Shaving can be bad for infections. :( Just cleanse normally and go, hairy rump and all. They've seen worse, believe me.

LOL what a MESS!! haha

I showed up to the appointment at 1:30 and i was ready to have my butt examined....

Well, turns out since i turned 23 last month, my insurance with my parents expired 5 days ago. i was left without insurance and i need a new coverage asap, and until then i couldnt go to my appointment.

But they told me that i should head over to the business building and try to get some type of insurance so i can have my appointment today. After an hour of waiting and finally talking to a woman there, she hooked me up to a temporary insurance with my moms company since my benefits just expired.

So they gave me a slip and told me to head over to the doctors building and try to get my appointment back. Luckily the doctor was not very busy and had time for me even though my appointment was an hour ago. I was walking back and forth between building and i was just going with the flow, i had no idea what i was doing lol. They gave me back my appointment and told me to wait in the lobby area. Moury (sp?) that talk show was on and boy is that show GROSS, i just looked at pictures in the magazine until they called my name. 30 min. later, they called me up.

First they took my blood pressure (A OK) then sat me down in the docs room to wait for her to arrive. Another 30 minutes later she popped in. Boy was she a character. Very high energy and kinda talked like a cartoon doctor lol. Looked up at the ceiling when she talked and close to zero eye contact. LOTS of hand gestures and movements. But anyway, she seemed like a nice lady and was very smart from what i could tell.

So RIGHT away i told her i have this "bump" on my lower back and that i think it may be a Pilonidal Cyst (i butchered the name when i said it and it sounded nothing like that lol) and i wont forget it she was like "a PILONIDAL CYST!!!!!???" like she was shocked and lol right away she reached for her gloves! She was ready to take a look...

I hesitated and it hit me that i will now have to show her my hairy ass. :doh:

I told her that i was kinda embarrasssed and she did her cartoon animation by putting her hand on her heart and said that shes seen worse and that its nothing new to her. I responded by admitting i shoulda shaved lol! She told me it was ok, and wanted to take a look.

So i pulled my pants down (a bit) so she can see it and she was like "yep...thats it..thats a pilonidal cyst..."

i was already 100% sure it was so it was no surprise i just wanted to know when i could get it off. She told me that for now i should not pick at it (lol ive been picking at it for almost 3 yrs) but she told me it looks like its ok and not in any serious condition and is fairly small as these things could be pretty huge.

So she set up an appointment for me to see a doctor and that was that. I asked her more questions like will i need to put time aside for the appointment? but she didnt give me any real answer other than the surgeon will inform me in greater detail later on.

About my stomach pains, turns out ive been drinking too much milk and protein drinks and my stomach doesnt like that. Ive got some serious constipation that will take some serious diet change....damn, ive been in pain for about a week, go away already!

As i was typing this, i got a phone call letting me know the surgeon can see me tomorrow at 10 am. I didnt think it would be THIS soon but i guess the sooner the better. I was thinking in a few weeks...not the next day haha.

So ive finally told my parents that i have this thing on me but i played it off like i didnt know it was there and that the doctor spotted it in my check-up. I said i was surprised i had something like that on me. They were even more surprised i will need surgery. My dad wants to see it and got mad at me cause i wont show him. One ass showing today was enough lol.

So that was my day guys, boy do i feel old. My insurance has expired with my parents, im constipated, and now i will need surgery for my butt. All this on the anniversary (nov 6) of the day my BEST friend ever moved away. probably the worst day of my life. Im not sure if this was a good or bad day but its interesting it happened on the same day that she left last year. I miss her soooo much :doubt:

I'll update you guys tomorrow with more pilonidal cyst goodness!

Thanks for the update, I'm so glad you're getting it taken care of ASAP! That was extremely good of the office to help you out with insurance, props to that office. VERY nice of them. The doc sounds pretty amusing, too. :D

Yep, we in the medical profession have seen it all. Hairy butts with cysts? Tame stuff. ;)

I'm glad to hear you've gotten this diagnosed and scheduled to be taken care of. Please continue to let us know how it goes.

Good luck!