Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brown-eyedgirl

Has anyone continued BP while on Spiro?

My derm started me on Spiro today, but she told me to stop using my ES Proactiv products with BP. They have helped a lot but still not 100% clear after 4 weeks of using them. I know it usually takes 8 weeks of product use. I think she is right about my acne being hormonal but after trying a lot of combos over several years, I am wary that one pill could solve all my acne problems! Oh and she also put me on retin-a micro.

she probably wants you to stop the BP because it can be irritating to skin while using retin-a. If after the initial retin-a period your skin can handle it, then you could probably use BP in the AM, and Retin-A at night.

she probably wants you to stop the BP because it can be irritating to skin while using retin-a. If after the initial retin-a period your skin can handle it, then you could probably use BP in the AM, and Retin-A at night.

I think I am over the irritation since I have been on retin-a for about a year and my skin is not irritated since adding BP 4 weeks ago; just dry. I thought she was more concerned with the spiro and BP combo. is the spiro very drying?

Well, spiro can decrease oil production. Which can make you more dry than you used to be. This is probably why she recommends not using BP if you are already experiencing dryness.

Spiro REALLY dried my skin out. I had dry skin to start with, but now it's super-dry. you could probably still use the BP as spot treatment though, especially if you haven't had a bad reaction thus far.